Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Question (Different versions? Overrev?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM
JMon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Question (Different versions? Overrev?)

I'm looking at selling my 05 997s and grab a newer PDK.
Are there multiple versions over the years of the PDK?
If so, what were the changes?

Can you over-rev a PDK in anyway, or does the computer block you? (Thinking about it from a used car purchase standpoint. I don't want any over-revs on it)

Does anything need to be done for the PDK before subjecting it to track use?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by JMon
Are there multiple versions over the years of the PDK
I believe that they were the same for all 997.2's. The 991 PDK is updated.
Can you over-rev a PDK in anyway, or does the computer block you?
Mild over revs are possible but nothing that should disqualify the warranty.
Does anything need to be done for the PDK before subjecting it to track use?
The early 997.2's didn't have the third radiator which is needed to dispel the heat generated by the PDK. Not sure what year it becomes standard. Perhaps 2010??
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not 2010. I think 2011 (I have 2010)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

I asked the techs about over reving a Tip or PDK and was told it is possible if the car is being driven at speed down a hill. Now for hill this can be a nice long downgrade on a freeway (a few of which I'm familiar with in my road trips) during which the car can pick up speed even if the foot is off the gas pedal and the car is coasting in gear.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

PDK from 2009-2012 997 is the same. There were some software downloads which can be checked at the dealer. My 2009 felt and worked the same as my 2012.

Despite what some say PDK can not be over rev'd on a downshift. I track my car and have been on circuits with severe elevation changes and at no time did I have any issues of possible over revs. The PDK computer will not allow it.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

It is not a question of the PDK not allowing the over revs, unless it detects over revs as the car gains momentum down a down grade and applies the brakes.

The car gains momentum and this can result in the engine over revving as even with the pedal closed as I mentioned my cars gain speed on some downgrades that are not the steepest ones I've been on. There are some on I-40 west of Flagstaff that even though the car is coasting it easily passes 75mph (the speed limit) and would continue to gain speed and has until I apply the brakes to scrub off speed.

Now I'm not saying the car would gain speed to say reach its top speed, but in a lower gear at full throttle there's nothing I'm aware of that would prevent the engine from being over revved by the car gaining speed due to the momentum added by the down grade and gravity.

This is not the same as over revving with a ill timed downshift. AFIK the PDK controller will not allow a downshift if the downshift will over rev the engine.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I gather if you have an overrev in a pdk it would be in the range 1-2 which is a money shift in a manual and would probably happen only once in the life of the car. So no one would blink an eye on purchasing such over revved car, nor should they. I have done spirited driving on up and down hills, twists and turns and do not have an overrevs, (checked mine earlier this week). Be sure to get a pdk with the sport chrono, or at least plan on upgrading (can do from suncoast). The sport chrono function will seem like an upgraded pdk vs non chrono car.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I believe mdrums is correct, He most likely has the most time on a PDK, in that you can't over rev the PDK on a downshift. The only time I got any over revs was with the PDK set to sport plus and the trans in manual. I you floor it and don't shift up the engine hits redline and then falls off rapidly. There is really no reason to do this. I did it by accident. The day after my car was in for an oil change and I asked the tech to read out the rev ranges. I had about 30 in range 1. Nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: PDK Question (Different versions? Overrev?)