Sponsored by:

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gracias all.

Just stood in the frunk and pulled her out. Off to Sammy's place for an H7.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Gracias all.

Just stood in the frunk and pulled her out. Off to Sammy's place for an H7.
You stood IN the frunk? Is that a safe thing to do? What's the safe load capacity of the frunk?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

997 lbs
Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently got a 3.5 year old Targa 4S with very low miles and while the battery worked fine for the first few days, I then needed 3 jump starts to get me home then to the local interstate store and put in an H7. It was definitely heavier than the factory battery, but since I do shorter trips I figured I wanted the highest cranking battery I could get.

The guy that jumped the car for me said he believes this vintage of car needs a lot more cranking power to turn over than other cars. I wonder if there is any truth to that? ALso it was quite a bit harder to jump this car then any other I've had. A jump from a normal vehichle didn't work,- as a matter of fact he used the portable and his truck hooked to together to make it turn over.

And I did drive the car for about 45 minutes after the first jump. I would have thought that would be enough to charge it. I didn't end up testing the old battery to see if it could have been recharged. (which I wouldn't have anyway after getting stuck several times)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do believe older/vintage cars need a high cca. But since the battery is so far away from the engine/starter there is some energy loss and it can be more difficult to jump, esp if your battery is on its last leg (sounds like it was, it should have been charged after 45 min). So on our cars you need a higher cca than other front engine cars, but not a lot.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The H7 Walmart Energy Maxx battery dropped right in - perfect fit.

BUT - after discovering that the plug for the un-needed vent hole is built into the plastic covers (grey) that cover the battery posts of the new battery, I looked and lo-and-behold, some jackass had removed it from the covers of my new battery already. Grrr.

Now I have to go to walmart with the cover and get a plug (since mine had the part missing).

Old 01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just replaced my 4 year old OEM battery with an Interstate Mega Tron Plus H7 battery.
$179 at my Indie
Old 01-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Every time I come to this site - I think that everyone and the information posted is great!

My battery is not holding a charge so I'm going to start looking for an Interstate Mega Tron Plus H7 battery.

Thanks!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I've changed plenty of batteries and it's not rocket science. Just wondering if anyone has information on the fitment of the H8 and H7.

The H8 comes up on Walmart's online battery finder, not a store rec.

Thanks.

I also notice the Walmart electronic lookup book indicates an H8.
The H7 is dimensionally the same size as the OEM Moll I took out. The H8 would be larger. I wonder why they speck an H8 in the book? Though from the images posted, the clamp can apparently be installed further over for the H8 longer battery. I'll have to check on that.. didn't pay attention when I put in the new battery, to see if there was another option.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I also notice the Walmart electronic lookup book indicates an H8.
The H7 is dimensionally the same size as the OEM Moll I took out. The H8 would be larger. I wonder why they speck an H8 in the book? Though from the images posted, the clamp can apparently be installed further over for the H8 longer battery. I'll have to check on that.. didn't pay attention when I put in the new battery, to see if there was another option.
Correct - the H7 is the exact same size as OEM. The H8 will fit in the tray but the hold down clamp will have to be moved...and on my 997 that particular hole to be used for the clamp is not threaded so you'll have to remove the tray and rig up a nut for the bolt to attach in this other hole. Maybe they started threading this hole in later models - worth checking before you commit to the H8. And to answer someone else's question about standing in the trunk - it held my 200 lbs with no problem and certainly saved my back when I lifted the battery out and replaced.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
And to answer someone else's question about standing in the trunk - it held my 200 lbs with no problem and certainly saved my back when I lifted the battery out and replaced.
Held my 300lbs standing in the trunk without issue as well.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Got an Interstate Mega Tron Plus H7 battery today.

Instead of standing in my trunk with my bad back, I had my really good indie Porsche install it.

Nice that the car now starts ��
Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM
docboss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer tried an 49/H8 and while it fit the tray, the clamps ran out of thread trying to hold it down. The original battery was pretty close to the 94R/H7 size. Is this what everyone else is using? I have it narrowed down to the Interstate AGM and the Exide Edge. Suggestions?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

H7 size is the way to go IMHO as it is an exact replacement fit. H8 works too but you will need to reposition the hold down clamp to the outer hole and supply a nut (on my 997.2 there was no threaded nut on the H8 clamp hole).
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

I went with an H7 replacement which matches the OEM Moll I took out. The H8 would fit (and is what the walmart electronic catalog speced for the car oddly) but the hole for the clamp may well not be threaded, so you'd have to address that before you go with an H8 size.

Quick Reply: Battery question