Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Issues - in my 2009??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Issues - in my 2009??

I thought Porsche fixed these ignition switches...... help here please.

2009 C2S Coupe, 46K miles

Ignition switch appears to operate fine in all aspects except one.... sometimes, when I remove the key, I don't get the thunk and I can then spin my steering wheel without lock. Some electrical systems remain on.... which explains why I heard a very faint electrical whine (I think it was the CD player spinning) one day when I entered the car to do some leather detailing.

I spoke to my indy about this and he commented that he thought Porsche fixed this issue with crappy switches a long time ago. I was the first he heard of this issue in a modern car. I suggested I really didn't care about the wheel locking but he noted that some electrical systems will remain on and drain the battery.... he nailed it as I immediately thought of that whine I heard the other week.

So..... anyone having switch failures in these 997.2 cars? Is the 997.2 switch even different than previous models? In short WTF? I think my indy said a new switch is about $300 for the part plus two hours labor, but he would look into it as I may not have to replace the "whole thing"... whatever that means.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my switch on a 997.1 replaced under CPO warranty. I can't recall specfically, but I do not believe it took 2 hours. I believe it is a simple swap.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

They switched my ignition switch under factory warranty, key would not spring back after firing. Like the key was stuck in the "ignite" position
Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Update.... I am having the ignition switch swapped out on Monday AM. This ignition switch is not at all like the older units. Supposedly, according to my indy, the tumbler pattern on the key is only for opening the doors but have no effect on turning the ignition. Any key from any car will turn this new ignition switch.

What starts the car is the chip in the key talking to the computer. My indy thought this new switch and system first appeared in Cayennes.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have an '09 C2S. Had the ignition switch replaced under warranty because the service tech said it sounded "crunchy". It was free so I didn't argue about the crunchiness.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Issues - in my 2009??