Sponsored by:

Used Car Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Used Car Fraud

I look at cars almost daily online, from used 997's to used Vipers, anything of interest.

One thing I have noticed...I haven't seen one vehicle from New Jersey/New York claim to be damaged by Hurricane Sandy. I find that odd.

There were thousands of vehicles flooded in that storm alone, we have at least 1 member here who's 997 was completely submerged.

Where are the flood cars?

I'd be interested to know if there are tricks to cleaning a title, wiping away an original state registration and other fraud tactics which might be used and how to look out for them.

Any input on this would be interesting especially if we have any active or prior law enforcement members.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

I wondered about this too when buying my 997.

My car came from Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ and I actually had the dealer snap interior carpet photos and other random under carriage shots but they knew and understood why I was asking.

I don't think that many Porsche's were affected in the flooding and if so I would presume scrapped or exported to the Middle East. Trust me...a lot of crap American luxury cars are exported to the Middle East and while I was living there it was a game to harass the used car dealers who tried to pass these cars off as mint.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live on longisland right by the water but i was ready like the rest of the exotics that live in my area toke the cars to a high grounds week before sh$t hit the fan. I did loose my wifes benz its crazy how the salt water eats the car up. I bet there are a lot of sandy cars though forsale i would be very very careful.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think cleaning the title involves moving them from state to state. That allows you to take advantage of different regulations regarding salvage cars.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Many of those cars were fixed then sold at auction all over the U.S. Dont trust the CarFax!!!!
Thats why its so important to do a PPI on any and all used vehicles not just Porsche's
Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Enough of the flood vehicles show up in Ontario to make me leery of any imported car. The title (ownership) shows no record of the total loss and the interiors have been cleaned. If you look really closely, pull back trunk carpets, strip the end of some insulation of wires, then you get some clues. There are more than a few here!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:19 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

All that matters is a careful PPI inspection. But don't be afraid to look at cars from NY/NJ area as that's where mine came from and was fine. Its all about due diligence.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I recall seeing in the past a list of VINs that were totaled by Porsche from storm damage
Old 01-11-2014, 03:37 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I wondered about this too when buying my 997.

My car came from Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ and I actually had the dealer snap interior carpet photos and other random under carriage shots but they knew and understood why I was asking.

I don't think that many Porsche's were affected in the flooding and if so I would presume scrapped or exported to the Middle East. Trust me...a lot of crap American luxury cars are exported to the Middle East and while I was living there it was a game to harass the used car dealers who tried to pass these cars off as mint.

That's crazy, I wasn't aware about the Middle East getting a lot of flood cars. I suppose a title means less there. I'm actually somewhat relieved from this information
Old 01-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I recall seeing in the past a list of VINs that were totaled by Porsche from storm damage
That would be very valuable data for the forum. If we can find it should make a sticky for it.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Originally Posted by Para82
That's crazy, I wasn't aware about the Middle East getting a lot of flood cars. I suppose a title means less there. I'm actually somewhat relieved from this information
Its actually quite appalling how many "wrecked" or cars with "history" end up there. Typically people are happy to get them as its a status thing whereas savvy westerners know what to look out for.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Last mango
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Previous flood damage

I am an executive in the auto auction business and can attest that the flood cars are out there and there are individuals that specialize in "washing" a title to remove the salvage or flood stamp. One of my unscrupulous customers purchased 100 Land Rovers from hurricane Sandy for 10 cents on the dollar. They are still sitting on his storage lot here because he been unable to get them started and try to sell them. I can assure you his intention was to pass them off to anyone he could. The problem is rampant...

I am personally very hesitant to buy a high end vehicle from anyone other than a private seller that I can meet, go to their home, etc., or from the franchised dealer of whatever brand I am buying. I my opinion, auctions and used car dealers are not the place to purchase high line vehicles of any kind...particularly performance vehicles.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82

It's not only the middle east it's central and south America getting them too.... It's cheaper to receive a car in those countries that are salvaged and look like crap then to take one that has a clean title..... Let me explain it's all about taxes thank god some of us live in the U.S because taxes in other countries to register a car is just plain nuts (( some of us are middle class)) and so when a car comes destroyed salvaged whatever but doesn't look straight they slap them with a lower introduction tax BUT when a car is salvaged but everything was fixed before it got to that country then the taxes are extremely high import duties even if it has a branded title

Atleast half those countries don't care or have yearly inspections.... It runs and drives its good for the road

I rented a van when I went on vacation looked nice and straight 2 days after I realized that IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY AIR BAGS they sealed it up with who knows what but it didn't have air bags at all..... All you have to do is inspect the cars check underneath it to see corrosion underneath and frame if you notice slight bent or patch up work
Old 01-12-2014, 02:30 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Last mango
I am an executive in the auto auction business and can attest that the flood cars are out there and there are individuals that specialize in "washing" a title to remove the salvage or flood stamp. One of my unscrupulous customers purchased 100 Land Rovers from hurricane Sandy for 10 cents on the dollar. They are still sitting on his storage lot here because he been unable to get them started and try to sell them. I can assure you his intention was to pass them off to anyone he could. The problem is rampant...

I am personally very hesitant to buy a high end vehicle from anyone other than a private seller that I can meet, go to their home, etc., or from the franchised dealer of whatever brand I am buying. I my opinion, auctions and used car dealers are not the place to purchase high line vehicles of any kind...particularly performance vehicles.

Mr. Mango, thank you for the insight. This is what I was afraid of. Gentlemen take precautions.

I think i'll stick to private party sales from now on unless built recently.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Search.aspx

You are welcome ^^.

That is where big majority of insurance write-offs show up. Currently 9 flooded Porsches are on the list.

Sandy car: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...oadRecent=True

Quick Reply: Used Car Fraud