2009 C2S Heater is not great at 0 degrees ambient

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default 2009 C2S Heater is not great at 0 degrees ambient

No biggie, but my 2009 C2S coupe's heater does not blow hot air when the ambient temps are below say 20 degrees. I had the car fully warmed up with a 1/2 hour drive to/from work with most highway and the heater just never blows hot air. It is warm enough to keep the cabin OK, but my hands were still cold.

Car is parked outside and unsheltered these past few weeks... started up no problems at all. Water temps pop up pretty quickly... oil temps lag way behind.

I had the temp setting on HI and could improve the cabin temps by increasing fan speed to near full.

I don't think there is an issue, but an observation and behaviour unlike other cars I've owned (never owned a Beetle).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Could be clogged up hoses leading to the heather core...
Suggest doing a coolant flush. Flush the system well with a garden hose. Obviously it needs to be done somewhere inside at this time...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be specific to your vehicle because my car gets real toasty real quick. I initially thought that with heat source being at the back, and having to be piped all the way to the front might result in mediocre heating, but I was mistaken.

I keep the climate control on 'Auto', this regulates the fan according to how cold the cabin is and what temperature has been set to be achieved. You will need to adjust the ducts to point to the parts of your body that take longer to warm such as your hands. I wear gloves until I know the cabin temperature has been achieved as the fan speed will automatically drop to indicate that state. Also, setting the air to circulate within the cabin thereby reusing the warm air already inside the cabin allows the cabin to heat up quicker and then switching to allow fresh air to come in seems to work for my vehicle.

Hope all this helps.

PS: On cold days the oil temp takes forever to heat up, I keep the can under 3K rpm until the temp hits 180 or higher to avoid pushing a cold engine too hard. Plus, I will not drive the car until the idling rpm settles.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
No biggie, but my 2009 C2S coupe's heater does not blow hot air when the ambient temps are below say 20 degrees. I had the car fully warmed up with a 1/2 hour drive to/from work with most highway and the heater just never blows hot air. It is warm enough to keep the cabin OK, but my hands were still cold.

Car is parked outside and unsheltered these past few weeks... started up no problems at all. Water temps pop up pretty quickly... oil temps lag way behind.

I had the temp setting on HI and could improve the cabin temps by increasing fan speed to near full.

I don't think there is an issue, but an observation and behaviour unlike other cars I've owned (never owned a Beetle).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Your climate control operates SOLELY on cabin air temperature, no way to account for radiant heating/cooling effects. Very easy for you to feel "coolish" if your "surround", inside ("outside, unsheltered") and outside, is significantly below your body temperature.

You can help matters a bit by using the (CAREFULLY!!) recirculate mode but with the windows cracked ever so slightly to prevent the cabin atmosphere's Rh from rising significantly.

Below about 34F there will be NO dehumidification benefit from the A/C.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

If you had the setpoint on HI but still had to manually raise the blower speed then something is defective.

Peace
Bruce in Philly[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I think something might be wrong with your heater. Mine gets pretty warm(I do not have to mess with the temp setting, just leave it on auto and 72). I have not driven it in the very cold weather we have had lately(-1 here on a couple days), but yours does sound like it is behaving differently. Not sure if it is the parking outside thing, and having to warm everything up. Good luck and stay warm, we got a little break and it was 45 here yesterday, maybe the warmth is moving east to Philly.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 PM
jbrow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto, I've driven in zero degree weather a few times and I was amazed at how quickly the temperature leveled out.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

There's something wrong for sure!

Tom
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

recirculate? fresh air? I know I've forgotten to switch one way or the other at times.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think I have ever had the heater on.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good candidate for a heated steering wheel. My will blow hot air but my hands are ways cold when it's that cold... or has been sitting outside and gets really cold.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I turn on the seat warmer and it is so toasty that my whole body warms up =)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The heated seats ARE awesome! They get hot almost instantly. Our Acadia take probably 5 min to even begin to feel the heat. My 997.2 I can feel withing a min I'm guessing. Still....a heated steering wheel would be nice. Was that even an option??
Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 229 Posts

My car is actually too warm to be honest. I like 997_Toronto's recommendation on keeping the Auto function going and using your heated seats. In our cold weather the heated seats warm you up really quickly...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

You have something wrong with your system. I would have it inspected by a dealer or independent Porsche mechanic. It could be something as simple as a thermostat that is stuck open. It happens to all cars!

Quick Reply: 2009 C2S Heater is not great at 0 degrees ambient