Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First night without the little frog.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That road is unbelievable. I WISH I had something CLOSE to that nearby. . . I can dream
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Pretty sure in my particular instance an N rated tire would have made no difference. I don't believe that the N rating is specific to the sidewall compound or construction, in fact I think it's (tongue in cheek) got a little more to do with which executive took which Porsche Executive/Engineer to lunch.

In this case I was carrying a fair amount of speed (not Chris Harris hooning for the cameras style) and there was a good load on the outside rear for sure. The rock just got pinched between the tire's curbing lip & the rim, and I'm sure the weight and force in those immediate proportions would have upset almost any sidewall.

David, you're right about dependable. I remember Dan gave a great first impression when I met him, and even toured me all around the shop- unfortunately the others don't appreciate how valuable the customer experience is.

Toscalito actually did me right, the wheel looked fine afterwards and they were surprisingly professional and only charged me $34 incl. tax for the service.

Drove in the wet all the way up to Mendocino this morning, Jesus, Highway 128 is like a dream since it's been completely repaved, but even more exciting with a little sheen and the clearing storm sun punching through the redwoods every now and again.

Here's just a few iPhone pix from today- not amazingly composed, but they add a little flavor.

Good times
- Dan
Glad to hear that Toscalito met your needs and you are back on the road.

CA 128 is a very special ribbon...I'll be curious to learn how you guys are heading home today...safe travels...good times indeed!!!

P.S. Who brewed that beautiful amber?!?!? (Best not to mention that besides the roads we get to enjoy in NorCal (either wet or dry!), we get to imbibe a number of very special micro and home brews.)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

We're way overdue for a trek up to the place in Point Arena. Know that section of Route 1 quite well. Unfortunately, those rocks are buggers and they do show up at the worst time. (I lost a tire on the road (299) from Eureka to Redding several years ago--not a Porsche, fortunately; same reason--rock fall). Still worth it. Such a great area.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
tax+substantially higher msrp. ive seen 100k civics (in their defense they were fully loaded models HAHA)

NUTS!

Funny thing is though I still see plenty of Ferrari FF's, Lambo's, Porsche's, BMW M3's etc

One thing I do notice though, is if you have so much as a Boxster you can show your car at the local supercar clubs and you will be gladly invited in haha. Arm and leg for all of them I guess.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Great photos and story. Is it possible to take a bad pic out there?? We have some great roads in the Carolinas and east Tennessee as well, but the weather is often cloudy around the Smokies. Sorry about the tire/wheel damage, but I think it's great you take out your "Frog" and let her do what she was designed to do, despite the risks.

Quick Reply: First night without the little frog.