Sponsored by:

First night without the little frog.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM
China Frank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Steve
I live in the land of flat straight roads, sun and rain. We get away with no snow, but certainly don't have this. Those pics cheered me up on an otherwise rainy dreary Florida day.
My dear RL friends, please relax... Here in China, I paid last year round about US$ 1,800,000 for a used 2010 Targa 4S, Shanghai license plate another US$ 13,200 on top, service by official Porsche dealership really sucks (I have to instruct them how to solve small issues), local tire shops throw nails and screws on the road to guarantee repair business, locals throw bikes against the car when parked, car wash staff is damaging the car when washing (they have no fxxxking clue), you meet pedestrians and other "obstacles" on the highway, import of some nice tuning parts into China (e.g. Sharkwerks) is almost impossible due to so many restrictions, and the list goes on and on ...
But guess what, every single time I turn the key, hear the growl of that flat 6 and drive it out of the parking basement, my heart "is beating like a jungle drum", I have a big smile on my face for the rest of the day, and I guess that's what it's all about
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM
China Frank
Intermediate

Sorry, typo error, last year I paid US$ 180,000 for the used Targa, not US$ 1,800,000 ...
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

WOW... but glad that you see the glass if half full!

Originally Posted by China Frank
My dear RL friends, please relax... Here in China, I paid last year round about US$ 1,800,000 for a used 2010 Targa 4S, Shanghai license plate another US$ 13,200 on top, service by official Porsche dealership really sucks (I have to instruct them how to solve small issues), local tire shops throw nails and screws on the road to guarantee repair business, locals throw bikes against the car when parked, car wash staff is damaging the car when washing (they have no fxxxking clue), you meet pedestrians and other "obstacles" on the highway, import of some nice tuning parts into China (e.g. Sharkwerks) is almost impossible due to so many restrictions, and the list goes on and on ...
But guess what, every single time I turn the key, hear the growl of that flat 6 and drive it out of the parking basement, my heart "is beating like a jungle drum", I have a big smile on my face for the rest of the day, and I guess that's what it's all about
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 PM
China Frank
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw
WOW... but glad that you see the glass if half full!
Cheers MYW, though without the song "always look at the bright side of life" in repeat mode on the Ipod in my Targa I wouldn't be able to survive this harse Chinese environment
Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

actually your post always reminds me how lucky we are in North America. i always chuckle when my local friends complain how cars are so costly here; when in fact cars, admin, fuel etc etc are the cheapest in north america.

ie. i recall my horror in learning a new civic can cost almost 6 figures in Singapore; msrp is about 40-50k and that gov't COE certificate is 40-50... if that doesn't hurt enough already the real kicker is that once the car is 10 years old you have to renew the COE certificate at full original value (another 40-50k) if you want to continue driving that 10 year old car on the road.

a client in china, was telling me how much the tax would be for him import his gallardo from canada (i think almost original sticker price) etc etc.

surprisingly, despite these costs the last time i was in both countries there was definitely no shortage of f-cars, p-cars and other exotics EVERYWHERE.

Cheers MYW, though without the song "always look at the bright side of life" in repeat mode on the Ipod in my Targa I wouldn't be able to survive this harse Chinese environment
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, typo error, last year I paid US$ 180,000 for the used Targa, not US$ 1,800,000 ...
Damn! I was about to load mine on a boat for a weekend special of only $1.5 million US!

Regardless, thats a lot.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those costs for cars sounds about like Venezuela!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 AM
China Frank
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw
actually your post always reminds me how lucky we are in North America. i always chuckle when my local friends complain how cars are so costly here; when in fact cars, admin, fuel etc etc are the cheapest in north america.

ie. i recall my horror in learning a new civic can cost almost 6 figures in Singapore; msrp is about 40-50k and that gov't COE certificate is 40-50... if that doesn't hurt enough already the real kicker is that once the car is 10 years old you have to renew the COE certificate at full original value (another 40-50k) if you want to continue driving that 10 year old car on the road.

a client in china, was telling me how much the tax would be for him import his gallardo from canada (i think almost original sticker price) etc etc.

surprisingly, despite these costs the last time i was in both countries there was definitely no shortage of f-cars, p-cars and other exotics EVERYWHERE.
MYW, you're so right . Enjoy the drive in North America in good health, realizing that Porsche purchase & ownership for you guys is still reasonable prized compared to some other areas around the globe ...
For obvious reasons (Cost of purchase + cost of ownership)+ increased danger when participating in traffic over here, my (Chinese) wife obviously doesn't share my Porsche-mania here at all, but I keep telling her that boys need toys So far, I get away with it.

For those who can believe it -> I was informed that the Porsche 918 will soon come to China with a US$ 2,300,000 price tag (this time no typo error). The source (close to Porsche China) told me, that Porsche sees no reason to sell it cheaper in China...
The rich Shanghai Starbucks generation is already lining up at the Porsche dealerships to sign the 918 contracts
When P-Panamera was introduced to China (at least in Shanghai), you had to draw a number at the P-dealership, literly line up, and once your number was called you got 15 min. time to conclude the deal on your new Panamera, that's insane isn't it

O-Steven, you're the man
Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Shanghai Frank - I wasn't aware that China had it that bad. Is it an import tax?

Another country that is terrible for car enthusiasts is Thailand. They have a 300% tax on all import vehicles. The 911 50th Anniversary edition current MSRP in Bangkok is 17,500,000 baht or 529,180 dollars.

Imagine paying $100,000 for a Camry?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Petrvspetrvs
Track Day

wow. thanks for the pics.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Fskof- lol! Hahaha that's great!

You should come out for sure. Yes a cucumber, 2 apples, and a leaf of kale will set you back about $20, but the days are beautiful, we have Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point), and Thunderhill all very close by, and from what I've seen (up here) at least, almost every day is like some sort of Porsche Homecoming Parade!
Sunshine (as well as today's rain) and having numerous tracks are fine reasons to live somewhere, but for me, it's the CA roads (once you get out of the cities) that make living here so compatible with becoming a better 911 pilot.

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
David- I had a bad experience over at Dependable once, so on everyone's recommendation, I gave them another chance. The guy was still a dick. Not believing lightning could strike the same place thrice, I went yet again. Different guy, but also a dick. I asked if it was just a bad day, or maybe he didn't like my shirt? He says "Hey, we're just busy." Subtext was "we don't need your business" so I left, disappointed but hey, I gave them 3 fair shakes.

Now I buy from Diamond Tire, they're great guys, great attitude, and similarly pricey, but I leave feeling like they appreciate me. Car's at Toscalito today (frown) only because it's walking distance from work & home- but I did buy the PSS from tire rack, and like you I will probably buy a couple of those spares I see on CL from time to time.
Ugh but no surprise re Dependable: Ron (owner) always has had an 'tude which typically filters down...I always work through Dan who is a very competent/nice man. Most importantly for me, Ron's team have touched many Porsches. I do hope that you escaped Toscalito unscathed...did the Cab get re-shod yet?!?!?

My daughter's MCS needs new shoes...I'll consider Diamond...thanks for the ref!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

tax+substantially higher msrp. ive seen 100k civics (in their defense they were fully loaded models HAHA)

Originally Posted by Para82
Shanghai Frank - I wasn't aware that China had it that bad. Is it an import tax?

Another country that is terrible for car enthusiasts is Thailand. They have a 300% tax on all import vehicles. The 911 50th Anniversary edition current MSRP in Bangkok is 17,500,000 baht or 529,180 dollars.

Imagine paying $100,000 for a Camry?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone think a N-rated tire would have avoided this situation...I know pure speculation. Does anyone have experience of having fewer flats with N-rated tires ?.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

based on the OP's story im going to guess no. a rock took out a piece of the tire (and a chuck off the wheel).

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
Does anyone think a N-rated tire would have avoided this situation...I know pure speculation. Does anyone have experience of having fewer flats with N-rated tires ?.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure in my particular instance an N rated tire would have made no difference. I don't believe that the N rating is specific to the sidewall compound or construction, in fact I think it's (tongue in cheek) got a little more to do with which executive took which Porsche Executive/Engineer to lunch.

In this case I was carrying a fair amount of speed (not Chris Harris hooning for the cameras style) and there was a good load on the outside rear for sure. The rock just got pinched between the tire's curbing lip & the rim, and I'm sure the weight and force in those immediate proportions would have upset almost any sidewall.

David, you're right about dependable. I remember Dan gave a great first impression when I met him, and even toured me all around the shop- unfortunately the others don't appreciate how valuable the customer experience is.

Toscalito actually did me right, the wheel looked fine afterwards and they were surprisingly professional and only charged me $34 incl. tax for the service.

Drove in the wet all the way up to Mendocino this morning, Jesus, Highway 128 is like a dream since it's been completely repaved, but even more exciting with a little sheen and the clearing storm sun punching through the redwoods every now and again.

Here's just a few iPhone pix from today- not amazingly composed, but they add a little flavor.

Good times
- Dan

Name:  image-2737674778.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  527.0 KB

Name:  image-2501549870.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  442.8 KB

Name:  image-2484947284.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  522.0 KB

Name:  image-984063032.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  378.3 KB

Name:  image-2036925352.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  295.8 KB

Quick Reply: First night without the little frog.