Sponsored by:

Anyone Window Tint Their 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Window Tint Their 911

I have a 2009 C2S in arctic silver with clear corner lenses. Been toying with ideas how to make it look a bit more dramatic aside from using plasticoat on the S or something similar. Has anyone had aftermarket window tint done on their car and if so how dark did you go. I was thinking that a darker shade of glass would definitely set off the silver paint color nicely. Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

My only thought would be not to do it......nothing about that I like but again....that's just me!

Tom
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been struggling with the same issues...it's difficult to make the arctic silver car stand out a little. Window tints are regulated by the state you're in so be careful how dark you go as it gives the po-po an excuse to pull you over.

Also, see this thread for a some great suggestions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ver-997-a.html
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine are tinted? I bought it this way, I can see the film around the top edge, appears to be VERY well done, but I don't think the factory did any tinting?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

I don't think the factory does any tinting by default and in Europe they don't really like tinting.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting, I guess I never noticed...are the REAR small windows factory tinted/coated? Like my F150 came with the rear door windows factory tinted/coated and I matched the front driver/passenger windows to match, looks a lot better. I wonder if mine is tinted on both?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Swoody
Racer

Come live in my neck of the woods, you'll get them tinted just for the heat rejection factor besides aesthetics!....in Phoenix it is a must to have your windows tinted!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't anymore. I don't like the way the tint will turn purple after a few years and I got tired of being harassed by the police. I now prefer the stock look over the modded look.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

+1

my opinions

Originally Posted by Swoody
Come live in my neck of the woods, you'll get them tinted just for the heat rejection factor besides aesthetics!....in Phoenix it is a must to have your windows tinted!!
- i also tint my cars for the UV and heat protection... its a huge difference in the amount of heat reduction getting into your car (think burning side of face and forearms on a sunny day)

- i would get the lightest tint possible (like 50% or even lighter if available) and keep the tint the same on the entire car (back in the day people would do 35% in the front windows which was the legal limit and go as dark as 5% visibility in teh back). personally i think a nice light tint looks nice and is functional but the uber dark tints look cheesey.

- workmanship can/will vary, so make sure its a good place that does good work, ive seen sloppy tint jobs bubble and peel later, yet ive also seen good jobs that last 15 years without issue.

- they have been making the higher quality 'never turn blue' 100% UV protectant tints for 20 years... just make sure you buy that kind.

hope this helps and good luck!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by myw
+1
Where did you get your tint done? Being in Toronto and seeing how dark your tint is, what % did you go with (I wanna stay within legal limits unlike Rob Ford)? I've seen windscreen tints too, is that even an option...do you know?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in South Texas and the tint definitely helps with the heat and UV protection. The only problem is where the glass is imprinted on the inside my tint has separated a little over time, but for the most part still looks good.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

my 911 came with the car tinted... its 35% front (legal) windows 25% rear windows.... i can get it taken down and redone but i likely wont lol.

my other cars i just go 50% all around. in the past ive gotten my tints done at fx auto in markham and at zeibart (warden/401)... both have done a good job.

im not sure about the front windshield tint. maybe they have a tint film that is 5% (95% visibility) that would be legal and would give you 99% heat/uv reduction... but only the tint shops would know for sure.

if i could do the tint on my 911 from scratch i would go 50% or even lighter (if they have like 65% visibility).... and definately get the same level of tint all around to avoid that two-tone look that was popular 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Where did you get your tint done? Being in Toronto and seeing how dark your tint is, what % did you go with (I wanna stay within legal limits unlike Rob Ford)? I've seen windscreen tints too, is that even an option...do you know?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I tint all my cars, grew up in a bad neighborhood where people will break your windows for change, if they can't see what's in it, they'll leave it alone. That is how it all started but don't live in the hood anymore. Those people who says it looks ghetto, well that is where the saying came from. The main reason is to keep the car cool in the summer and protect the interior. My silver Mercedes is tinted 20%. I think silver and black works well.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

I dont mind tint at all, I just drive a cab and seems a little pointless when the weather is nice. But I have tinted many other vehicles and would definitely do it if in hotter climates. You would think Oklahoma would be one of those and it is sometimes but not today -1 Fahrenheit or around -18 Celsius for those north of the boarder or across the pond.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Mork
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car used and it had tinted windows. I was going to have it removed. But after living with the tint, I decided to keep it because it cuts back on the glare, helps control the summer heat and the appearance on the dark blue metallic color grew on me.

Quick Reply: Anyone Window Tint Their 911