Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Seattle to Columbia SC in a Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats and welcome home. Thanks for sharing the tale of your journey and all of the terrific pictures. I nearly bought a Nordic Gold C4S a few months ago but the PPI didn't check out. Your pictures make me wish it did. I'm only about an hour from Columbia SC, you have got to tell me where those last few pictures were taken!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

BrakingBad, the photos were taken in the same block in downtown Cola in the block bounded by Marion and Taylor Streets. I'm really liking the Nordic Gold paint. The interior of my Murano Green C2S was special, but I think I like the Nordic Gold better.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

amazing trip and pictures.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

great photos and locations. remember a ghetto temp solution that ive used with no ipod connection is just any basic fm transmitter. while not the best quality, its still better then not having access to your favorite tunes during a long trip!.

thank you for sharing these!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Thanks for reading the story of our trip. Obviously, it's an abridged version, in part because the rain kept us from taking many photos the last three days. I'm going to post an Epilogue with lessons learned in a separate thread today.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the rest of your thread. Thank you again for taking the time to post everything. I know when I did my Cross Country trip I ended up going to the DMV before hand and got a 15 day extension, just glad you didn't get ticket.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Volnomad
Seattle was a beautiful sight all lit up as we crossed the bridge from Bellevue to get our room at the Sheraton. The only glitch was the valet only parking. I couldn't hand over the key, so I had to park it myself in a public garage a block away. Didn't like that either!.
Yep.. when I plan to drive some where in my Targa I always call the hotel(s) ahead of time and find out if they have self parking on site. Valet is a non-starter... and I'd have changed hotels if I could.. but Seattle.. its weird that way, with parking.. or rather the lack of. And the valets.. all they would do was drive your car to a similarly situated parking garage and park in the valet only slots.

And as you noted on I-5 to Porland.. something about the pacific northwest.. the love dropping things from vehicles. Never have I heard about so many big things hitting cars. Kent, just south of Seattle, had a huge chunk of road debris (some steel bit that fell off of a truck) puncture the battery floorboards of a Tesla that caused it to burn up by the roadside. Its tricky up here.

Having been through Texas many times, I'd avoid it as a drive.. because I'd been there and done that boredom. Nothing from Dallas to El Paso really. On my drive up from Baton Rouge to Seattle, we went Dallas - Colorado Springs - Yellowstone - Bozeman, MT, Spokane, Seattle. Better views.

Now I'm thinking maybe I will drive to Kentucky from Seattle (and back) for a trip to visit my folks in the spring.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
And as you noted on I-5 to Porland.. something about the pacific northwest.. the love dropping things from vehicles. Never have I heard about so many big things hitting cars. Kent, just south of Seattle, had a huge chunk of road debris (some steel bit that fell off of a truck) puncture the battery floorboards of a Tesla that caused it to burn up by the roadside. Its tricky up here.
Southwest Florida can't be far behind. Worst so far was a 10' aluminum stepladder in the center lane of northbound I 75 just south of Tampa about a year ago.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
norion00
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up! Now my hunt for a P car cross nation is justified!

One thing I am curious is how you can keep the car so clean after so many days on the road?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by norion00
Excellent write up! Now my hunt for a P car cross nation is justified!

One thing I am curious is how you can keep the car so clean after so many days on the road?
Norion, it really was not very clean. Nordic Gold just hides the dirt very well in photos. I did run it through a touchless car wash in Midland TX. It didn't do much to help though, as much of the crud was just glued to the car.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love this story - Love the Targa 4s. Love the color. Love The Dandy Warhols.

You roared right by my house, and by way of the sun, SC David's too - sorry to have missed you, but glad to see you three (wife, whip, and you) had a great time when you came through.

It's a wonder you didn't pass David in his white 4s when you were in the Big Sur area.

Good times.

- Dan

Quick Reply: From Seattle to Columbia SC in a Targa 4S