Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK: how many seconds after hitting the paddle should the gear shift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:19 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts

I found that it all depends on my driving style in manual mode. In Sport+ and getting on the throttle it is extremely quick and snaps with a great satisfying feeling. If I am not really driving sporty there is a bit of lag even in Sport+. The computer learns how you are driving and adapts, sometimes it take a few miles of driving aggressively for the shifts to adapt.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by djskimo
My first porsche and non manual car. Anyway, everyone talks about how the PDK is "best in the market", and does < 200ms shifts. However, I swear my brothers BMW 335i DCT shifts much faster.

On my PDK, even in sports+ mode, when up-shifting, it takes about a second after hitting the paddle shifter before it shifts gear. Is this normal? (I can't recall the down-shift speed but doesn't seem as slow)

Also, while at standstill, I can do small quick blips up to 1.5k rpm without the car moving forward. I assumed this is a normal behavior of the clutch but thought I would ask.

Car is 997.2 4 GTS.

Thanks!

Another maybe...........un hook the battery to re-set the PCM and then try again
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 AM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first porsche and non manual car. Anyway, everyone talks about how the PDK is "best in the market", and does < 200ms shifts. However, I swear my brothers BMW 335i DCT shifts much faster.

On my PDK, even in sports+ mode, when up-shifting, it takes about a second after hitting the paddle shifter before it shifts gear. Is this normal? (I can't recall the down-shift speed but doesn't seem as slow)

Also, while at standstill, I can do small quick blips up to 1.5k rpm without the car moving forward. I assumed this is a normal behavior of the clutch but thought I would ask.

Car is 997.2 4 GTS.

Thanks!
Yes, DCT is faster, I have a X6 4.0D and was SHOCKED when while driving the car for the first time it felt faster than my PDK on upshifts, downshifts are both very fast. I was worried to the point of schedule a meeting with my Porsche to check if everything was fine with my PDK and if they had an update for it. Zero update, it´s just the way PDK is
Anyways in Sport + it shifts way faste than normal mode and faster than Sport, but still not as fast as DTC.

Mumbles, did you try this batery disconet tip on your car? Did you felt any difference?
J.Seven
Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

No J, I just remove the battery before storage each Winter, then re-install in Spring time.

A bunch of light appear on the dash but soon go out by driving a short distance. It may re set the pcm but I'm not 100% sure. I know it doesn't do any harm to the electronics by disconnecting the battery. Its my 3rd year for Winter storage, I take the battery out every November.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:49 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 cay pdk. base. mine shifts within a second,if yours takes seconds there is something amiss imo
Old 12-25-2013, 02:23 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Added vid in first post
Old 12-25-2013, 03:53 AM
Alexey21
Instructor

Hey,

That 335, is not a Dual Clutch. 335 comes with the 8 speed ZF auto transmission. It is lighting quick, but not a dual clutch.

As for the PDK, I am sure that you need to be in the sweet spot in order to properly engage it quick. Otherwise its just a coding issue I guess.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Added vid in first post
The link didn't work for me. In Dropbox, you've got to right-click on the file and choose "Copy public link", then paste that special link into your post.

Back to the topic, in your original post you mentioned that you had heard about "< 200ms shifts". I'm thinking that you must have read that in an article or a forum related to the new 2014 991 GT3, which currently has the only PDK that shifts under 200ms.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:51 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
If I am not mistaken the shift times are also related to throttle and rpm. If you are not in the sweet spot (upper rpm, and accelerating) then the lag time is increased. If you are ready to unleash it, quicker than a manual (well at least me using a manual).
This is spot on. In the video, the GTS is just cruising at low rpm and light throttle. If you increase the throttle (not by much), gear shifts will be much quicker. At 4k rpm and above and moderate throttle, the shifts are almost instantaneous
Old 12-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Take it in, that thing should shift before your brain tells you to shift its so good.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:24 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMK110464
This is spot on. In the video, the GTS is just cruising at low rpm and light throttle. If you increase the throttle (not by much), gear shifts will be much quicker. At 4k rpm and above and moderate throttle, the shifts are almost instantaneous

Actually the problem is worse at higher RPM as you feel the car jerk more violently. I didn't want to drive aggressively with one hand in the vid, but the shift delay becomes more apparent. Say you want to shift at 6k RPM, and RPM's are climbing fast, it gets up to 6.5K RPM before it actually shifts. In a way putting me much less in control. I can probably do a smoother shift in a MT.

Yes I can "compensate" by shifting earlier than I want to, but...no.

Anyone able to snap a vid of their PDK's for comparison?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:22 AM
Alexey21
Instructor

Actually the problem is worse at higher RPM as you feel the car jerk more violently. I didn't want to drive aggressively with one hand in the vid, but the shift delay becomes more apparent. Say you want to shift at 6k RPM, and RPM's are climbing fast, it gets up to 6.5K RPM before it actually shifts. In a way putting me much less in control. I can probably do a smoother shift in a MT.

Yes I can "compensate" by shifting earlier than I want to, but...no.

Anyone able to snap a vid of their PDK's for comparison?
From what I know, the Dual Clutch Systems are all suppose to be a bit violent. Think about it, its going from one gear to the next clutch that already has the gear preset, and it just bangs into place.

I guess you have two choices, drive it smoothly but get a longer delay shifting,
or drive it rough but get that jerky feeling. Once again, on the 335i you posted in the video, it wont get that harshness because its not a dual clutch, its an 8 speed auto.

Personally having experience with my Dual Clutch car (Non Porsche), I prefer the harsher settings. Iv had people ask me every time I upshifted, if my transmission just broke, and I have to explain to people its normal.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:12 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alexey21

From what I know, the Dual Clutch Systems are all suppose to be a bit violent. Think about it, its going from one gear to the next clutch that already has the gear preset, and it just bangs into place.

I guess you have two choices, drive it smoothly but get a longer delay shifting,
or drive it rough but get that jerky feeling. Once again, on the 335i you posted in the video, it wont get that harshness because its not a dual clutch, its an 8 speed auto.

Personally having experience with my Dual Clutch car (Non Porsche), I prefer the harsher settings. Iv had people ask me every time I upshifted, if my transmission just broke, and I have to explain to people its normal.
Thanks for clarification. Maybe its best if I took a vid. I don't mind a quick harsh snap, that sounds cool, but with mine it feels exactly like a manual driver trying to produce shifts at high rpm.

Acceleration... then sudden loss of acceleration as its in "neutral" ,your head bobs forward, then half sec and acceleration again and head bobs back.

I test drove a 991 pdk and I can tell you it doesn't have that problem. Just trying to see where the 997.2 sits. I think I'll take mine to the dealer anyway.

Quick Reply: PDK: how many seconds after hitting the paddle should the gear shift?