Short road trip tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Short road trip tomorrow...

...Inverness, CA > Santa Barbara, CA via US 1! It should be spectacular through Big Sur, don't ya think?!?!?

Weather looks good although a forest fire is burning around Big Sur...I believe it won't impact the road or beauty and hopefully no locals are in danger but it is super dry out here...

I hope to post some pics tomorrow evening...this will be fun!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by david
.Weather looks good although a forest fire is burning around Big Sur...
Should make for a gorgeous sunset, especially with the interesting clouds we've had along the coast lately- should be an awesome drive with many beautiful sights!

Standing by...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

You must do the trip for us that are stuck with snow!!!
And remember to post pics!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fskof
You must do the trip for us that are stuck with snow!!!
And remember to post pics!
Will do...i'm honored!

Unfortunately the fire has caused property casualties...but it looks like a large crew are getting on it...fingers crossed that the winds are as calm down there as out on Pt. Reyes this AM...

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-cal...e/-/index.html

Comanche: why don't ya just tag along?!?!? Leaving the county at ~9:30...
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a awesome little drive. Safe travels and we look forward to the pictures. Enjoy
Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For all of you stuck in the snow and only able to daydream about driving 400 miles today, it is Tuesday ~10:30am PDT and I'm heading out the door with a cleaner-than-before 997.2 4S to chew up some miles and enjoy the bends and twisties of US-1...for you (and me!!!)
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2013, 04:32 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short ride here too. 80 degrees. Needed sunscreen.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

After 5k+ miles driving this car primarily on road trips, it is the only car that I've ever driven that I just do not want to get out of and instead I want to just keep driving...that happened today after logging a few hundred miles. I was very dis-heartened to be at my destination for the day!

But no problem cause I get to do some more driving tomorrow (with a co-pilot!) and US-1 was as perfect as ever earlier today, even with a healthy plume of smoke from the Pfeiffer fire.

The smoke began in the Monterey basin and continued to just south of the fire which in on the west side of 101 in the Pfeiffer Ridge Road area. There were many fire trucks heading to the fire but no motor homes and very little traffic on the whole stretch of coast highway.

I caught the sunset south of the fire so the color was special and the coastal range looked like Mordor.

Here are a few pics...
Attached Images      
Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! I may be taking the GTS (if I still own it) from LA up to Carmel Valley and then The City at the end of January. Perhaps we'll have a chance for some pics and a drink.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by david
After 5k+ miles driving this car primarily on road trips, it is the only car that I've ever driven that I just do not want to get out of and instead I want to just keep driving...that happened today after logging a few hundred miles. I was very dis-heartened to be at my destination for the day!

But no problem cause I get to do some more driving tomorrow (with a co-pilot!) and US-1 was as perfect as ever earlier today, even with a healthy plume of smoke from the Pfeiffer fire.

The smoke began in the Monterey basin and continued to just south of the fire which in on the west side of 101 in the Pfeiffer Ridge Road area. There were many fire trucks heading to the fire but no motor homes and very little traffic on the whole stretch of coast highway.

I caught the sunset south of the fire so the color was special and the coastal range looked like Mordor.

Here are a few pics...
Thanks for sharing the pics. What beautiful scenery. I need to get out there one of these days
Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Nice! I may be taking the GTS (if I still own it) from LA up to Carmel Valley and then The City at the end of January. Perhaps we'll have a chance for some pics and a drink.
That would be wonderful, Fred...please give me a head's up when your plans materialize...
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My mission was accomplished yesterday: fetched SO from grad school and made it safely back home with no unscheduled stops with you-know-who. The C4S performed flawlessly and it will be difficult to not begin daydreaming of the next road trip...

I'll try to post-process some photos and post over the fast-approaching weekend.

If you are in CA and can make the time to travel the Big Sur coast I'd highly recommend it because the weather is ideal and the road is virtually empty!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

David, wish I could have followed you down- we were so deep in work this week that I could only live that trip vicariously through someone more fortunate, like you!

As consolation, I've managed to squeeze a few "Home > Shoreline > Route 1 > Panoramic (ish) > Mt. Tam > Work" runs in before pulling up to the studio with the smell of a properly warmed flat six & Pilot Super Sports wafting up behind me...

Love the pix - as always!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:21 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
David, wish I could have followed you down- we were so deep in work this week that I could only live that trip vicariously through someone more fortunate, like you!

As consolation, I've managed to squeeze a few "Home > Shoreline > Route 1 > Panoramic (ish) > Mt. Tam > Work" runs in before pulling up to the studio with the smell of a properly warmed flat six & Pilot Super Sports wafting up behind me...

Love the pix - as always!
Comanche I too love vicarious pleasures...I wish more trip reports were posted.

Very glad to hear that you are taking the long way to work...I know that those smiles will power you through the creative (and business) process!!! Did you get to drive Panoramic when it was icy?!?!?!? Lucas Valley was sure fun!!!

If this weather stays high & dry, the next road trip for me will be up around the Mt Shasta / McCloud / Mt Lassen area...perhaps next month. Unsure if you've driven US 89 (Volcanic Hwy)? To say the least, it is very special up there...even getting up to that area from the north bay can be a blast!

There are some paved forest routes on the east side of Mt Shasta which are outrageous; they connect US 89 with the Medicine Lake / Lava Beds area. They would typically be under snow this time of year but I suspect that they are very passable...especially in the c4s.

It would be nice to run into one another one day soon...in the meantime, keep taking the long way to work!

P.S. more pics to follow from the Big Sur drive...I too am playing catch-up...
Old 12-28-2013, 04:25 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is more than 10 days out from returning home from this short trip.

Just made time to PP some of the images. The drive south through the fire zone was eerie and I was thankful that I wasn't in the forest that evening.

The day turned out to be very dark and smokey once I hit the coast south of Carmel. The sun completely vanished at 3pm and never re-appeared except for a light show at true dusk -- in fact, the whole afternoon was like driving at dusk.

I'm very unsure if I adequately captured the mordor-like drama in the coastal forest of that evening...glad to hear that firefighters won the battle but sorry for the loss of property...guess that it could have been much worse...another wake-up call for those of us that get to live in these forests...defense-able perimeter...

I'm also very unsure that the 997 is the best vehicle for enjoying photography cause I just don't want to stop driving it -- especially when I'm driving on a road like US 1 through Big Sur -- wow, that is one special ribbon...perhaps next time I GoPro the drive...

Quick Reply: Short road trip tomorrow...