Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Here are the pics...
Attached Images           
Old 12-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

David, you scooped me! My wife and I drove the PCH on the 17th and had much the same experience. I will be posting a travelogue about the the trip down the PCH (as part of a much longer story about our 3950 mile drive from Seattle to Columbia, SC.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Volnomad
David, you scooped me! My wife and I drove the PCH on the 17th and had much the same experience. I will be posting a travelogue about the the trip down the PCH (as part of a much longer story about our 3950 mile drive from Seattle to Columbia, SC.
I'm very much looking forward to reading your trip report...it must've been a very special adventure!!!

P.S. I'm trying to post more pics but the RL image up-loader seems to be choking...
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey David, I suffer from the seat addiction as well- just did a quick (3 day) trip down to Oceano (dunes!) spent a few nights at Shell Beach (The Cliffs!) and then back up the 1 all the way home.

As beautiful as the stretches through San Simeon, Big Sur, even Point Lobos are, and even with a 5DMk3, Fuji x100, and a 50D on the folded down back seat I could not and cannot manage to stop driving just to snap some photos.

Top down, wind blowing, sun on my face, my girlfriend's blonde hair blowing around in the wind, (telling me to slow down every 5 seconds...) It's pretty much the only picture I need.

To be honest, I don't hoon around too much, I just like to hustle. ...I guess the corners feel like they come up faster when you're in the passenger seat.

Anyway, every time I get home, I wish I had stopped and taken more photos, but when I'm out there, I can't bring myself to stop and take them. Occasionally I'll shoot from the driver's seat while flying along, but the framing is always a crap shoot.

Mostly I won't stop because I don't want to let all the Foresters and Priuses and Motor Homes sneak past me again while I'm taking pictures, and as you know, that particular variety of vehicles on the 1 rarely let you pass, and well... The earful one gets when just blowing by them gets tiresome. (Read: it is a tough choice. Enjoy the coast with an empty passenger seat or have the beautiful girl, the sweet car, AND the California Coast all at once. It really is a conundrum.)

Also, we drove highway 41 for the first time. I've been meaning to see the James Dean crash site for many years, but just never made the turn. I see now how it could have happened.

Even though the roads have been moved and broadened, and changed a bit over the years, that bit where the 41 intersects the 46 is still a sketchy stretch and merges surprisingly right into the westerly falling sun. It's easy to imagine one's surprise as a car suddenly appears going slowly ahead of you as you round the bend.

Well anyway- I appreciate your posts, and I do keep any eye out for that white C4s when I head out through Olema Valley toward McClure's- I'm sure we'll cross paths soon.

Never done the 89, but I've heard it's epic. Certainly much more so in the 4s I'm sure.

Thanks for the pix- some very good ones.

Maybe we could make a dedicated road trip thread? A place to share the pics and stories. I'd love it to be all 911's doesn't have to be just the 997.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it easy coming back south. You will be on the outside lane, with no guard rail. Fantastic views, but any mistake will be costly. Many years ago, I did the drive. On one stretch, the girlfriend was driving. We come to a blind left hander and an oncoming car is hugging the center line. Girlfriend twitches and goes to the outside of the corner. I had a good view of a 300 foot cliff before the Pacific ocean with just inches of pavement left. One of the biggest scares of my life.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:10 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wait...I was seeing only in b&w earlier...I just saw your "Murano Green" S!!! Sheesh that would be a rare color don't ya think?!?!?! So where are the pics???
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Yes, it's a very rare color, 22C, last used by Porsche in 1989-90. I think there are only three 997's in this color in the US. If you search for Murano Green on this forum or 6speedonline, you'll find several photos of the car. My wife is working on the pix for our travelogue right now. I should be able to begin posting soon. There is a lot more to this story to tell regarding the Murano Green 911S and our journey.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Volnomad
Racer

By the way, I just read your full travelogue from October, and really enjoyed it. What a trip! Not sure how I missed it earlier.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, it's a very rare color, 22C, last used by Porsche in 1989-90. I think there are only three 997's in this color in the US. If you search for Murano Green on this forum or 6speedonline, you'll find several photos of the car. My wife is working on the pix for our travelogue right now. I should be able to begin posting soon. There is a lot more to this story to tell regarding the Murano Green 911S and our journey.
Very much looking forward to the trip report; I'll anxiously wait to see the pics...I LOVE THAT COLOR!!! (Wish that I could have seen it up close...you should have given the folks along your route a heads-up!)

P.S. Thanks for reading my x-country trip report...still experiencing a bit of a desire to continue that trip and I need to still PP more pics and post some interior shots...
Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Hey David, I suffer from the seat addiction as well- just did a quick (3 day) trip down to Oceano (dunes!) spent a few nights at Shell Beach (The Cliffs!) and then back up the 1 all the way home.

As beautiful as the stretches through San Simeon, Big Sur, even Point Lobos are, and even with a 5DMk3, Fuji x100, and a 50D on the folded down back seat I could not and cannot manage to stop driving just to snap some photos.

Top down, wind blowing, sun on my face, my girlfriend's blonde hair blowing around in the wind, (telling me to slow down every 5 seconds...) It's pretty much the only picture I need.

To be honest, I don't hoon around too much, I just like to hustle. ...I guess the corners feel like they come up faster when you're in the passenger seat.

Anyway, every time I get home, I wish I had stopped and taken more photos, but when I'm out there, I can't bring myself to stop and take them. Occasionally I'll shoot from the driver's seat while flying along, but the framing is always a crap shoot.

Mostly I won't stop because I don't want to let all the Foresters and Priuses and Motor Homes sneak past me again while I'm taking pictures, and as you know, that particular variety of vehicles on the 1 rarely let you pass, and well... The earful one gets when just blowing by them gets tiresome. (Read: it is a tough choice. Enjoy the coast with an empty passenger seat or have the beautiful girl, the sweet car, AND the California Coast all at once. It really is a conundrum.)

Also, we drove highway 41 for the first time. I've been meaning to see the James Dean crash site for many years, but just never made the turn. I see now how it could have happened.

Even though the roads have been moved and broadened, and changed a bit over the years, that bit where the 41 intersects the 46 is still a sketchy stretch and merges surprisingly right into the westerly falling sun. It's easy to imagine one's surprise as a car suddenly appears going slowly ahead of you as you round the bend.

Well anyway- I appreciate your posts, and I do keep any eye out for that white C4s when I head out through Olema Valley toward McClure's- I'm sure we'll cross paths soon.

Never done the 89, but I've heard it's epic. Certainly much more so in the 4s I'm sure.

Thanks for the pix- some very good ones.

Maybe we could make a dedicated road trip thread? A place to share the pics and stories. I'd love it to be all 911's doesn't have to be just the 997.

Thoughts?
I suspect that we could petition RL to add a section but I really do not like the UI of a forum for this type of content...perhaps I can create a Tumblr space a share through Pinterest for traffic??? Perhaps we should chat off-line and come up with a solution because I think that it could be popular...

Very glad to hear that you were able to get away...I just love to play on that coast (and the food in SLO is stepping up). I fully understand the lack of desire to have to re-pass traffic that you've already gotten around...I must have really lucked out on 12/17 because there was no traffic BUT I still couldn't stop!

And with all due respect, I'm very unsure that I'm going to let you get away without posting a pic of the top down and blonde hair blowing in the wind and sun...so how about it?!?!?!?

I've only visited the James Dean crash site once and also was able to imagine how under the right conditions, sh*t could happen there.

P.S. I get to blow through Lucas Valley and around Nicasio Res today! Btw, unsure if you've noticed that folks that live in West Marin are very helpful in alerting drivers regarding the whereabouts of the CHP (and NPS Rangers)??? The flash is alive...this is super refreshing and gives me hope...be safe out there...
Old 12-31-2013, 05:01 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're right - it might be easier to make an independent 'submit-your-trip' Porsche Road Trip tumblr or something. I do like the idea of doing it within the forum, just to keep it simple. I'll think on it some and we can also brainstorm. I'm sure it could be very popular.

Yes, I've also seen The Flash™ out west on several occasions, and I even do the ol' 'head tap' for the motorcycles (since I've got the top down, they spot that pretty quick) -

I went out for a little jaunt along the 1 here yesterday afternoon specifically to take some pix. It was kind of nice stopping now and again just to watch the ebb and flow of the tourist traffic.

Here's a few pix from that drive.

- as for the pix of my girl with the hair blowing in the breeze, that's a hard picture to take when I'm driving too, but I'll give it a shot one of these days - as a consolation, I do have one from back when we were looking at a Targa 4s before buying the Cab -

Man, I still wish we had bought that Targa. It was the car that convinced me to buy a 997 -

Here she is grinning from ear to ear driving that Targa, coming down the back side of Lucas Valley Road, heading east down the hill just past Big Rock. We had just taken that big loop out past the reservoir etc, and were heading back to try and beat the dealer up on his price.

Anyway, he knew what he had and didn't want to budge on his price. I, however, had no idea how hard it would be to find another one just like it. haha! - oh well. Good news is, the C2S Cab makes me plenty happy.

Also - I think all threads are infinitely better with MOAR PIX.

Good times.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volnomad, I'm an dyed in the wool black car addict but wow, your car is really beautiful!!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good times indeed!!!

Gorgeous pics and subjects!!! Ya the Targa would have been nice but your Cab is very special...it sure would be nice to see it in 3D...PM will come your way soon...

There is a Redwood PCA drive from Cloverdale > Jenner today but I can't make it but it is sure perfect day with no wind/fog on Tomales or Drakes bays and I suspect little traffic north of here where those guys will be. The east bay drive also looks great...I'm looking forward to all of the pics!

(I get to stay home to commiserate with my SO cause she has 2 more papers to finish before Sat...)

I did get to use the C4S for the 1st time yesterday as a errands vehicle and it does really well (as long as I don't go to the nursery!) but I don't dig all of the attention when stationary.

In fact, I was in Novato and leaving town at Atherton > Stafford Lake > Pt Reyes some mid age bozo in a GTI wanted to get a bit to close to my fatush. I even let him pass and he refused so after noting his exact description/plate it was after-burners back to Inverness for me.

Note to self, new years eve day is also a good day for light traffic in west marin...

Here is to a healthy, peaceful, prosperous and safe (but fun!) 2014!!!

P.S. Thanks for the pics...I believe that we should get to see them 1 more time!

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I think you're right - it might be easier to make an independent 'submit-your-trip' Porsche Road Trip tumblr or something. I do like the idea of doing it within the forum, just to keep it simple. I'll think on it some and we can also brainstorm. I'm sure it could be very popular.

Yes, I've also seen The Flash™ out west on several occasions, and I even do the ol' 'head tap' for the motorcycles (since I've got the top down, they spot that pretty quick) -

I went out for a little jaunt along the 1 here yesterday afternoon specifically to take some pix. It was kind of nice stopping now and again just to watch the ebb and flow of the tourist traffic.

Here's a few pix from that drive.

- as for the pix of my girl with the hair blowing in the breeze, that's a hard picture to take when I'm driving too, but I'll give it a shot one of these days - as a consolation, I do have one from back when we were looking at a Targa 4s before buying the Cab -

Man, I still wish we had bought that Targa. It was the car that convinced me to buy a 997 -

Here she is grinning from ear to ear driving that Targa, coming down the back side of Lucas Valley Road, heading east down the hill just past Big Rock. We had just taken that big loop out past the reservoir etc, and were heading back to try and beat the dealer up on his price.

Anyway, he knew what he had and didn't want to budge on his price. I, however, had no idea how hard it would be to find another one just like it. haha! - oh well. Good news is, the C2S Cab makes me plenty happy.

Also - I think all threads are infinitely better with MOAR PIX.

Good times.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

More pics...
Attached Images         
Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by McCulla
Volnomad, I'm an dyed in the wool black car addict but wow, your car is really beautiful!!
Thanks, McCulla. It is a beautiful car. I'm about to tell a tale involving this car. Look for a new thread entitled, "A Tale of Three Porsche's."

Quick Reply: Short road trip tomorrow...