Sponsored by:

Clutch work being done

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch work being done

FYI - Just adding to the collective "wear/failure/repair" wisdom.

I have 54000 miles on my 06 C2S and the clutch started to slip. I took it to a local independent yesterday and went to check on it at lunch just now. The plastic end cap broke off the clutch slave cylinder rod that actuates the clutch release arm. What is supposed to be plastic on metal contact was metal on metal and looked to be chewing up the release arm a little. So, getting new clutch and slave cylinder. Also, replaced rear main seal preventatively. Estimate is $1800 at this point. Shouldn't be any more surprises (I hope) since the tranny is out and the new seal is in.

Slave cylinder pic: http://www.carid.com/2006-porsche-99...m-7836806.html

Clutch release arm pic: http://www.carid.com/2005-porsche-99...m-8894662.html
Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Ask to see all the used taken out parts. That's what I do. Not that I don't trust my shop, just like to SEE the part, while I'm sliding over my cash. I just gives me a better understanding of why what where when = Wallet
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Ask to see all the used taken out parts. That's what I do. Not that I don't trust my shop, just like to SEE the part, while I'm sliding over my cash. I just gives me a better understanding of why what where when = Wallet
Good point. I neglected to mention that when I stopped by the shop, I was taken back to the car to see for myself. If I had not stopped by, he would have taken pics and sent them to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

I have even been know to leave one of my little camera in my car for use by the mechanic for documentation.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

No matter what brand of car, I've always asked for the old parts back.
Great way to learn.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Slave cylinder failures are a common issue. Pivot arm and pressure plate spring tension hold the broken actuation arm and tip in place until it is either removed for clutch replacement, or begins to make noise during operation.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 AM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would be interested to know what indy you are using for this work and your unfiltered evaluation once the work has been completed. While I don't need a clutch (yet), I always like to collect the information early.

I assume the $1800 is parts and labor with pressure plate, bearing and clutch disk plus the other items you mentioned, correct? PM me the info if you prefer to keep it private.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 PM
iammulva
Racer

Ok - here's the story so far....

Got my car this morning. Clutch replaced with OEM Sachs clutch kit plus slave cylinder plus clutch release arm. Bled the slave cylinder. Also rear main seal replaced. Total $2650.

Driving away, the clutch pedal felt very different from before I took it in and to my best recollection, different from other cars I test drove. I've had this car a year so its the only one I'm truly familiar with. I called them and asked about it and they said - it's normal. I couldn't take it back right away because I was going to a 3/4 day long meeting.

The pedal used to feel consistent and continuous resistance. I wouldn't say it was light or heavy. But it felt the same way all the way in and out. Now the pedal is rather light to 1/2 way down or 3/5 down and then the pressure increases to what feels "normal". On the way back up, it's kind of the opposite. Also, the engagement point is at the bottom 2/5 and I am convinced that the engagement point has moved closer to the floor. I killed the car backing out of a parking spot today. Finally, on release, the last 3/5 of pedal travel back up/out ends up with a kind of "sproing" feeling or popping (as I've read someone else complain about). To say it "slams" out would be too strong , but it does come out fast/hard. The service tech said they "adjusted the clutch pedal" which I thought was odd. Anyway, I'm taking it back on Monday to see what they say, but I'm curious if anyone on this board thinks this is "normal" or "they all do that"? Also, is the clutch pedal adjustable? I have a C2S and supposed to have self-adjusting clutch so I would assume pedal does not need to be adjustable and pressure should be continuous/constant, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Doesn't read like I would expect a new clutch to behave.

For a replacement clutch essentially the majority of the hardware is new so I would expect it to feel just like a new clutch.

I've never had a clutch done on my Porsches but I have had the clutch done on two other cars and in both cases the clutch feel after was the clutch feel when the car was new.

Kind of hard to screw up a clutch job but it can be done if the wrong parts are used and this includes mixing clutch kit parts or the parts are installed wrong.

However, the behavior doesn't have to be due to a bad job per se: The behavior could be due to a bad clutch fluid flush/bleed.

I'd say you should take the car back and have the clutch looked into. Unfortunately, unless it is something external to the clutch proper this means the transmission will have to come out of the car. The shop could be reluctant to go this far and may work to get you to accept it as it is. You could hear "they all do that", though it may not be stated explicitly. You need to be prepared to ask that a similar car be available so you can confirm this yourself.

(You can visit a dealer and just sit in a few new/used car and depress the clutch and perhaps get a feel for what new/used clutches feel like and then compare this feel to what your's feels like before you visit the shop.)
Old 12-14-2013, 04:07 PM
iammulva
Racer

I agree - I'm thinking bleeding, but now the pedal won't return on its own. Don't know if that would be caused by/related to bleeding, but I know for sure they can't say "they all do that"
Old 12-14-2013, 05:33 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
I agree - I'm thinking bleeding, but now the pedal won't return on its own. Don't know if that would be caused by/related to bleeding, but I know for sure they can't say "they all do that"
Sure would. Actually this is probably good news in that it's more likely a clutch bleed issue rather than something bad with the clutch itself. Most cars have a specific method that must be followed when bleeding the clutch.. I helped a buddy this summer replace his clutch on his Subaru and it definitely had a few quirks in the bleed process.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

IIRC when I did my Boxster's clutch bleed once the pedal has to be pulled up from the floor. It won't come back on its own.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
Ok - I've had this car a year
This is always the risk you take when buying a used car with a MT. 54,000 miles is way too early. Can only assume that some nasty things were done to the car in its earlier life.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do these cars have accumulators ?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

They do not have a power assisted (boosted) clutch hydraulic system.

Quick Reply: Clutch work being done