Sponsored by:

What is known about KS Aluminum Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts
Default What is known about KS Aluminum Blocks?

I am dangerous. I'ben surfin' the net again... o oh.

I understand the 997.2 blocks are all KS low-pressure casting. Is this corrrect? All 911s? All Boxster/Caymens?

http://www.kspg.com/fileadmin/media/...guss_zkg_e.pdf

http://www.kspg.com/en/products/cyli...cast-cylinder/

I also understand that my 2000 Boxster S had a high-pressure casting by the same company and this high-pressure system is faster, cheaper, and not as good. At least it wasn't good enough for the turbo and GT3 models. Is this true?

Any insights into this and Porsche recent history of engine design. Where can I look to read more?

Maybe I just need therapy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I am dangerous. I'ben surfin' the net again... o oh.

I understand the 997.2 blocks are all KS low-pressure casting. Is this corrrect? All 911s? All Boxster/Caymens?

http://www.kspg.com/fileadmin/media/...guss_zkg_e.pdf

http://www.kspg.com/en/products/cyli...cast-cylinder/

I also understand that my 2000 Boxster S had a high-pressure casting by the same company and this high-pressure system is faster, cheaper, and not as good. At least it wasn't good enough for the turbo and GT3 models. Is this true?

Any insights into this and Porsche recent history of engine design. Where can I look to read more?

Maybe I just need therapy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I'd worry about their QC process when their technical paper mis-spells gasoline as "gasonline" on the title page
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Good luck.

Last edited by Dadio; 12-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:03 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really. And, first you'd have to define "best"...
Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep, you need therapy.

Lots.

In the meantime, relax.

Really most alum. engines are made this way although not by this particular company. Since the block is the foundation of the engine there is considerable effort to ensure the block design and construction (casting process) along with subsequent machining and assembly is up to snuff.

Porsche manages to get some good output from its engines and there are not a scary number of reports of these things going boom for any reason let alone due to the wrong casting processed being used so I believe the engines are inherently good, better than good.

As for more reading: I seem to recall coming across articles in various indy Porsche mags on new Porsche engine design generally ahead of the actual engine's appearance and its pluses compared to the older design it was replacing but I can't recall even the magazine titles let alone the specific issue.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The 9a1 and Cayenne Alusil, which allows the cylinder bores to be made from the same parent casting, not needing reinforcement or localized silicon to allow for a wear surface.

This is much different from the M96/M97(997.1) that was Lokasil.

I touch on these differences in my M96/ M97 Definitive Guide. Heading to the publisher next month!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

This looks like a good article on this:

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...s-strong-ideas

n Alusil: The engine block is fashioned from high-silicon content aluminum alloy. The block undergoes initial machining, then, similar to Nikasil, is dipped in an acidic bath that etches away the aluminum on the bore surfaces, exposing the durable-wearing silicon.

Again, however, there are considerable problems. Alusil blocks must be made in a slow, low-pressure process, says Mr. Sach, and the original alloy itself is more expensive. He believes Alusil is good for low-volume use where cost and manufacturing speed are not the priorities.

Alusil's cost might be bearable even for mainstream vehicles, but a foreign automaker engineer insists, "Throughput time is not acceptable for high-volume lines. We would never consider this process."

n Lokasil: Promoted largely by casting-kahuna Kolbenschimdt Pierburg AG, Lokasil is a "sacrificial" bore liner comprised of silicon fibers in a binding that, when inserted into the block mold, burns out the fibers, leaving the high-content silicon surface directly in the bores.

The Lokasil process is acutely effective. But it also is laborious - slow squeeze-casting is required - and expensive. Currently, Kolbenschmidt's sole customer for the process is Porsche AG.

Quick Reply: What is known about KS Aluminum Blocks?