Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

me too...
Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
So would my 2009 C2S have LSD because I have Sport PASM? Or is this just a GTS thing? I got my VIN decoded from Suncoast and I did not see the stand alone LSD option code on my car...is part of the Sport PASM package??

And to the OP...the whole thing IS very confusing until you get a car and start messing with a bit, then it will make perfect sense on how everything works. Porsche confuses the $hit out of things with their acronyms and other naming...PSM and PASM for instance...they sound like the same thing and as you've read they have NOTHING to do with one another. At any rate...YES make sure you get a car with Sport mode...you'll love it and appreciate it!
A 997.2 with SPASM has LSD. Clear as mud.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

So would my 2009 C2S have LSD because I have Sport PASM? Or is this just a GTS thing? I got my VIN decoded from Suncoast and I did not see the stand alone LSD option code on my car...is part of the Sport PASM package??
I do think if you have factory SPASM option, you also have limited slip. Not specific to the GTS as far as I know.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
...However I fail to notice any difference when The sport suspension option is on. No matter what setting you choose the car is kidney jarring stiff. Don't expect any comfort going over potholes or expansion joints...
Disagree. The difference is very noticeable. Kidney jarring? Come on! Comfort going over potholes? Who is comfortable going over potholes? You should avoid potholes for reasons that having nothing to do with ride comfort. As for expansion joints, tire choice may make a difference here, but overall, pushing whatever combination of buttons you have to stiffen the ride can be ignored, at which point you will be driving a very capable and comfortable SPORTS CAR, not a friggin Sedan D'Ville.

The lower ride height of the sport suspension is a fantastic option, and stiffening the suspension temporarily for speed bumps, driveways and drainage channel's in intersections will save your front spoiler lip.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never said I did not like the ride. I thought the original post was looking to see if you can adjust the suspension for LA roads. I simply commented that the ride is always going to be rough.

Last edited by josephmonaco924; 12-09-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I do think if you have factory SPASM option, you also have limited slip. Not specific to the GTS as far as I know.
I do get some weird wheel "hop" when backing out at full lock, the same thing my truck does in 4x4 mode, when you turn too sharp. But it might just be a 911 thing...front wheels being dragged at full lock? Anyway, glad to know I MIGHT have LSD!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

I do get some weird wheel "hop" when backing out at full lock, the same thing my truck does in 4x4 mode, when you turn too sharp. But it might just be a 911 thing...front wheels being dragged at full lock? Anyway, glad to know I MIGHT have LSD!
WOW! could this be a symptom of LSD? my car does this as well, going forward or back, there is a kind of hopping or muddled movement, I thought it was in the front end, but what do I know, and with the X51,maybe that is in there? anyone else notice this?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
... I simply commented that the ride is always going to be rough.
We can agree to disagree, as in my experience, the ride is not "always rough." Los Angeles roads and freeways are 3rd world in many places. That's when I turn off the stiffer suspension at the push if a button.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Does this happen more frequently, or is it more noticeable, when the weather is cold? If so, I think that is perfectly normal because of the high performance tire tread compound getting hard when temperature drops. All my 911's have done this. Why would it be related to LSD if it is your front tires making the noise?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I find that pasm on very rough and bouncy but pasm off is very very cushy but i'm used to driving japanese cars lowered on race coilovers. I guess if you compare it to a luxury suv then the 911 is always going to be rough
Old 12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I find that pasm on very rough and bouncy but pasm off is very very cushy but i'm used to driving japanese cars lowered on race coilovers. I guess if you compare it to a luxury suv then the 911 is always going to be rough
PASM is always on. You must mean when you have PASM in sport mode, you find the ride rough and bouncy. But OP was asking about SPASM, not PASM. I have SPASM on my GTS and really like it. It may be slightly firmer than regular PASM, but I do not find it harsh, at least for a sports car. The slightly lowered car also looks very nice. I didn't think the additional 10 mm would make that much of a visual difference, but it does. I think SPASM is a very desirable option on a 911, especially a GTS.

If the OP is expecting a plush, cushy ride, he might need to reconsider getting a 911, whether it has SPASM or PASM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

That weird wheel hop is likely the tires.
Performance tires will have a hard firmer rubber sidewall and will hop in reverse with the wheel to full turn radius. You should look for a tire with a softer sidewall if you want to eliminate that hop.
Less to no hop at all in reverse or accelerating out of a turn with a tire not designed for summer high performance or racing like most Porshe standard tires ie Michelins.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Does this happen more frequently, or is it more noticeable, when the weather is cold? If so, I think that is perfectly normal because of the high performance tire tread compound getting hard when temperature drops. All my 911's have done this. Why would it be related to LSD if it is your front tires making the noise?
Right... last time I noticed it the temp was like 26f picking up form the dealer the other night. So makes sense it would be the tires. Just wasn't sure of or even how LSD could be the culprit.

It's not a bother in the least, just something I noticed.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Not PASM, Sports Suspension option on a GTS...

Does it actually have a button (that looks like a shock absorber) for that option or is the button for PASM? And, not to change the height of the car, to change the stiffness of the ride...

Thanks!

Steve
On 997.2, these are the options:

- Standard (on Carrera)
- PASM Suspension (10mm lower, sport button to soften/stiffen)
- PASM Sport Suspension or SPASM (further 10mm lower, sport button soften/stiffen)

So, in this order they go from soft/higher ground clearance to harder/lower ground clearance. If you primarily just do streets and are worried about pot holes, probably it's best to stick to regular PASM.

Last edited by alexb76; 12-10-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 AM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the wheel bump in cold weather. I thought there was something wrong but a coworker with a 911 turbo said it was normal. Just one of those things.

Quick Reply: Sports suspension question (s)