Sports suspension question (s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:28 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sports suspension question (s)

Hi all,

Again, thank you in advance for all your generous knowledge!

The same car with the center locks also has Sports Suspension.

My question is, in the rough roads of Los Angeles that I drive on everyday, will the Sports Suspension knock out the fillings in my teeth?
Joking aside, I think you know what I am asking, yes? Is this option mainly meant for racing?

I don't ever plan on tracking the car, so is this option a liability for me, not an asset?

It cannot be switched off, right? Also, it lowers the car 20mm, if I am not mistaken, yes?

Again, thank you all!

Steve
Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Hi all,

Again, thank you in advance for all your generous knowledge!

The same car with the center locks also has Sports Suspension.

My question is, in the rough roads of Los Angeles that I drive on everyday, will the Sports Suspension knock out the fillings in my teeth?
Joking aside, I think you know what I am asking, yes? Is this option mainly meant for racing?

I don't ever plan on tracking the car, so is this option a liability for me, not an asset?

It cannot be switched off, right? Also, it lowers the car 20mm, if I am not mistaken, yes?

Again, thank you all!

Steve
It can be switched on and off at will. There is a button on the dash that looks like a shock absorber.
When on, It is stiff, but not GT3 stiff. I live in LA too, drive with it off most of the time.
On is great for going over speed bumps and out driveways and going over drainage dips in the road because it prevents the nose from diving into the street. No, it's not just for racing, it's a very practical tool. Not that it's really necessary, but it's fun in the canyons too.
It is lower, which is a good thing because it means your car will be at the correct ride height, slung low as it should, but not crazy low. Just right.

Look at the pics in the link in my sig below, you'll get the idea. My GTS has the P17 sport suspension option.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 202 Posts

Are we talking about PASM, or are we talking about the Sport Suspension?
If the latter, then the ride height is 20mm lower and I believe a little stiffer than the normal PASM suspension.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

if you have the sport suspension option; the car is 10mm lower than w/out sport suspension. the pasm button stiffens the shocks, it doesnt do anything to the height.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Not PASM, Sports Suspension option on a GTS...

Does it actually have a button (that looks like a shock absorber) for that option or is the button for PASM? And, not to change the height of the car, to change the stiffness of the ride...

Thanks!

Steve
Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, there really is a button. It Does not change height, just stiffness. My car has option code P17 sport suspension.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Yes, there really is a button. It Does not change height, just stiffness. My car has option code P17 sport suspension.
Is there a separate button that turns on PASM?

From what I have heard, PASM is adjustable but the Sports Suspension is not. Am I wrong? Are they both one and the same? Do they work in conjunction with one another?

Again, Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 PM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PASM is the handling control system. It stops the wheels from spinning and will slow the car down etc if for example you go into a curve too fast. The sport option changes the suspension settings through the use of adjustable shocks and the throttle response. It has two buttons so you can only activate the sport option for the suspension if you want. However I fail to notice any difference when The sport suspension option is on. No matter what setting you choose the car is kidney jarring stiff. Don't expect any comfort going over potholes or expansion joints. I bought my 997.1 used so not sure if these were options or not. I have one PASM button and two sport buttons, one with a shock picture on it and the other stating sport.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
PASM is the handling control system. It stops the wheels from spinning and will slow the car down etc if for example you go into a curve too fast. The sport option changes the suspension settings through the use of adjustable shocks and the throttle response. It has two buttons so you can only activate the sport option for the suspension if you want. However I fail to notice any difference when The sport suspension option is on. No matter what setting you choose the car is kidney jarring stiff. Don't expect any comfort going over potholes or expansion joints. I bought my 997.1 used so not sure if these were options or not. I have one PASM button and two sport buttons, one with a shock picture on it and the other stating sport.

Sorry, this is incorrect.

PSM ( Porsche stability management) is the traction control system responsible for limiting wheel spin and controlling traction through the use of abs.

PASM ( Porsche active suspension management) is the computer controlled suspension that adapts to road conditions and increases or decreases stiff damper rates in corners.

PASM comes with regular and sport mode. In sport mode, little flaps engage inside the shock towers to redirect hydraulic fluid to stiffen the shocks.

Sport suspension, is a slightly modified version of the overall suspension, via springs to lower the car. I believe it's also the euro spec. I thought it was 20mm but someone else mentioned 10mm lower.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Sorry, this is incorrect.

PSM ( Porsche stability management) is the traction control system responsible for limiting wheel spin and controlling traction through the use of abs.

PASM ( Porsche active suspension management) is the computer controlled suspension that adapts to road conditions and increases or decreases stiff damper rates in corners.

PASM comes with regular and sport mode. In sport mode, little flaps engage inside the shock towers to redirect hydraulic fluid to stiffen the shocks.

Sport suspension, is a slightly modified version of the overall suspension, via springs to lower the car. I believe it's also the euro spec. I thought it was 20mm but someone else mentioned 10mm lower.
On a car with PASM, it would be -10mm as the PASM is -10mm and the Sports Suspension brings it down another 10mm...on a base car ( without PASM) it would be -20mm.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 AM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need new glasses. The third button does say PSM and not PASM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Not PASM, Sports Suspension option on a GTS...

Does it actually have a button (that looks like a shock absorber) for that option or is the button for PASM? And, not to change the height of the car, to change the stiffness of the ride...

Thanks!

Steve
There is no Sports Suspension for GTS or even Carrera S! There is PASM and Sports PASM.

The car does not lower or raise its ride height with the push of a button.

A GTS with Sports PASM has a lower ride height than just PASM and also comes with a rear locking differential (LSD).

I did not find Sports PASM to ride rough at all
Old 12-08-2013, 01:27 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

What about the 981/991 Sport Suspension? It's not sport plus; it's a completely different option that appears (via pricing) to NOT have the adjustable PASM dampers and thus no sport shock button. Near as I can tell, it's 10mm lower than PASM, with stiffer springs than PASM and with stiffer dampening than PASM on stiff. But can't be disabled, so it's like running on stiffer-than-PASM-stiff all the time. But it's hard to find really good information on this stuff.

Anyone have this option or have experience with it? How's it compare to PASM in the stiffest mode? Is it a significant enough performance advantage for autocross to live with it on the road every day as a daily driver, or would I hate life and wish I'd compromised with PASM?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
I need new glasses. The third button does say PSM and not PASM.
That is the button that disables PSM - mine is at the far right of the bottom row of buttons in the center console.

If you don't have a button with a shock absorber graphic, you don't have PASM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:35 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
There is no Sports Suspension for GTS or even Carrera S! There is PASM and Sports PASM.

The car does not lower or raise its ride height with the push of a button.

A GTS with Sports PASM has a lower ride height than just PASM and also comes with a rear locking differential (LSD).

I did not find Sports PASM to ride rough at all
So would my 2009 C2S have LSD because I have Sport PASM? Or is this just a GTS thing? I got my VIN decoded from Suncoast and I did not see the stand alone LSD option code on my car...is part of the Sport PASM package??

And to the OP...the whole thing IS very confusing until you get a car and start messing with a bit, then it will make perfect sense on how everything works. Porsche confuses the $hit out of things with their acronyms and other naming...PSM and PASM for instance...they sound like the same thing and as you've read they have NOTHING to do with one another. At any rate...YES make sure you get a car with Sport mode...you'll love it and appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Sports suspension question (s)