Sponsored by:

Windshield damage repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield damage repair

Moments ago, on the way home from work, I got hit with something large.

This is obviously not a DIY job (or at least not one I'm willing to attempt). Does anyone know if the likes of Binswanger can replace this correctly (the only glass company I've ever dealt with)? Should I just hit up a reputable indy Porsche shop? I realize I can Google away and probably find something, but I would rather hear you guys' advice.

Thanks,
Mick
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM
PhilD
Pro

I researched this a while ago, as I have a rock chip on the windshield. There are quite a few unhappy p-car owners who have had their windshields replaced; whistling, noise, damage to vehicle during work, etc. Seems there is no guarantee that anyone, including dealers, can replace the windshield as well as Porsche put it in.

Dealers seem to charge around $1000, and may be the best option as they will usually put right any issues that may develop, whereas as Bob's Glass may not care that much.

In my case I decided against changing the windshield, but that doesn't look like an option for you with that damage.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I've used Safelite for several cars including my 997s. They did a great job, handled all the insurance paperwork and I don't even think they charged me the deductible. I assume you have comprehensive coverage on your auto policy.

I'm pretty sure they are nationwide.

http://www.safelite.com/
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Funny you mention Safelite. I had their little jingle going through my head a bit ago and thought to myself, "I should see what they have to say." Of course I should! Thanks, Yellow.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
65kodey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a rock chip a few days ago too...got a quote by safelite for 875.00 with an original Porsche glass.

Take a look at the documentary on You tube of the making of 997! You will scare yourself with the amount to precision the windshield gets installed.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

When I had my older 1988 944 turbo appraised the inspector noted all original Porsche glass. It may not matter now, but if I had a choice, I would try and get OEM labeled glass. It may matter to the next owner, or if in 10 years this will be the classic forum.
Also to note. That looks like quite an impact, four more inches and you would have some body repair and painting to do.
First few weeks of my new to me 997. I was amazed at how many impacts I was attracting. I thought I was going to be putting in a new windshield a few times.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 12-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have found that the best route is to have them come to your home to install a windshield. If you are like me you can supervise ( I even helped lower the glasss onto the car).

I watched a windshield being installed on a car in the parking lot by our office building. Some of the removed parts were laid on top of the roof of that car. It must have been convenient for the installer.....glad it wasn't my car.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

BIG smoke,

Whatever hit me actually dented the roof there where the scuff is. I'm not messing with that, though. It's really quite minor and I don't want to get too obsessive about the condition of the car. It's got chips on the hood, a ding in the drivers door, and scuffs on the nose where the license plate was mounted. This additional mar will just add to it's character. And as far as OEM glass goes, absolutely.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Fahrer,

Good idea. Will do.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Thanks for all the input, folks.
- Mick
Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Most dealers are going to sub it out. Nice thing about doing it through the dealership would be warranty. I don't believe any one makes aftermarket glass for the 997. I went through this about 6-8 months ago. Safelite was only $25 cheaper than the dealer. So, my insurance company let me use the dealership. I use Porsche North. ( I see you are in Houston)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Good to know, function12. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I also got Porsche North to give me a 10% off PCA discount. I got that off the glass price and not the install labor.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

I have had mixed experience with Safelite. In short, they will try and not install OEM glass. First, check your insurance policy to see if you have OEM glass replacement or not. I did, and Safelite said I didn't. They said they would handle everything with the insurance company... sounded great eh? Switching Chinese or other glass for OEM is the oldest trick in the glass replacement book. Be aware. I ended up filing a complaint with my insurance company and they dealt with Safelite.

That was one experience.. another was kind of dopey in that my dealer offered to handle my windshield replacement and for the insured amount. They had a new service guy and he had an argument in front of me with the old guy. The old guy wanted to use their indy to do the install... the new guy wanted Safelite to do it. They used Safelite. The installer did an awful job... I was getting wind noise and the clips were hanging out between the A-Piller trim and the glass (inside of car). I took it back and the dealer, the old guy, came out and could immediately saw the window was not set in properly and made good.... no cost to me and he called their dependable indy to come in and replace. Oh, the glass was OEM because the dealer supplied it... nice, no hassle.

Buyer beware. I bet that anyone reading this has no clue if their car insurance has the OEM glass replacement clause. And I will bet you never knew about the bait and switch some installers do.

Some here have said that there is no alternative glass for our precious 911s. Ha! Chinese glass abounds. and its curvature may not be smooth and you will have a warped field of view. One of mine had a crease in the glass from a poor bend (visible only by viewing the field from the drivers seat). This alt glass is certified for DOT safety specs.... but not others like field of view distortions or sloppy installation of radio antenna.

I got tons of glass stories ... I am 53 and have had many windshields replaced and I am extremely cynical about any glass replacement service. So....

1 - Call your agent yourself (don't let the nice helpful guy at the indy/Safelite do it for you) and confirm OEM glass replacement.
2 - Demand OEM glass from the indy.... they will then say they must confirm with your insurer.... hence they never planned on installing it in the first place. Be prepared to argue....
3 - Be there when the technician shows up and confirm OEM glass.... not verbally, but look at the watermark on the glass. My buddy sent an installer away from his home BMW install after promising up and down OEM glass. Guy showed up with something else
4 - OR.... just talk to your dealer and ask if they will match the cost of insurance coverage sans deductible and let them take care of OEM etc.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

And this is why I wanted you guys' advice over Google's (of course, though, right?).

Bruce,

Thanks a ton for sharing the experiences and knowledge. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to type all that up. I'll go this route and see where it takes me. We've been with our insurance provider for quite some time (although I swear we've yet to make a claim), so I'm hoping for something smooth. Here goes.

Peace, indeed.

- Mick
Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

When I called my claims office for a large glass hit, a recording said that if it was only a glass claim to "Press 1". That routed me to Safelite and after speaking to two salespersons, I found that they did not use OEM glass. I was also asked if I could cover the damage with a Dollar bill (!), and if so they would just resin the glass. No wonder my insurance company uses them. I then called the insurance claims department directly and got them, after some time, to OK a replacement by my local Porsche dealer, who charged about 1K, but did an excellent job. I would never let Safelite touch my cars.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I called several windshield replacement co's. they said for the 997 there was only the factory windshield. $2000,
few yrs ago,I had 2 928 windshields replaced. $2000 same price..
as several yrs ago the sekurit, pilkington windshield ,was the same glass, but available from glass dealers, now with the 997 its just sekurit and from porsche only
and still $2000

Quick Reply: Windshield damage repair