Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911 owner - Few Questions for current owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 258 Posts

You don't need to take it to the dealer for service if you have CPO. I do my maintenance and my car is CPO. Just, document the work and save the receipts. Congrats on your new ride!!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Going by the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about senior citizens.

I must be getting old!

Congrats on your Porsche and happy birthday!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
EnergyTrader
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Going by the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about senior citizens.

I must be getting old!

Congrats on your Porsche and happy birthday!
revised
Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Banilej0
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Only speed, as much as you can afford.

Happy birthday!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the car, looks nice. Hard driving is no problem as long as you increase the maintenance cycle (dealer, indy, DIY). As for driving fast, do some research and find a good track oriented club in your area and get yourself on the track - COTA or TWS are reasonable options. You'll learn a lot about your car and yourself, and you'll happily drive home at the end of the sessions at PSL. Enjoy.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Only speed, as much as you can afford.

Happy birthday!
name is EnergyTrader == he can afford many of these -->

EnergyTrader - where in Houston are you? I have a few recommendations for independents and more than willing to help you work on your car if you want. I understand the 997.2 are different from the 997.1, but some things will be relatively easy and/or the same on each car (e.g. brake fluid). Let me know if you're interested. I learned a bunch from this forum and saved a bunch DIY. I'm near the Galleria.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by EnergyTrader
Early X Mas + 30th Birthday gift...

So many questions but the three I would like more info on are:
1. Should all service be done at Porsche or should I look into a good shop that focuses on Porsche? I am based in Houston
2. I like to get to 80-100 few times a week on way home from work - could this lead to damage? Advice? I wait until oil is over 180 and taken steps dealer took me about the car.
3. Was told the car is built to be driven hard - how hard?
1. No, BUT, if you cannot find a good indy mechanic who works on these cars in your area, then maybe stick to deaer
2. Absolutely not an issue and probably good for the engine to get the temps up and get rid of crap in the engine. Ensure oil temp is up and you're good
3. Just don't garage it for extended period of time, and if you're drive is mostly stop-and-go, take it out on the HWY on some hard runs, to get upto speed, your #2 item above should take care of this

Overall, these cars are actually fairly reliable, just maintain, drive, and wash it, and you'd be good to go!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

1. Use your common sense on whether to go to the dealer vs. Indy. I mean that if you don't do the basic stuff yourself, why would you pay big bucks for a brake flush or oil change at the dealer when a good Indy charges half. OTOH, if you find a pool of liquid under your car or have some ominous codes start flashing, the dealer might be the better route.

2. I think you should be more concerned about over revs than speed in the 80 to 100 mph range (see most recent Excellence for a good article on over revs).

3. How hard you drive your car is dependent on your ability and surroundings. Just remember, it's a rear engined car and, regardless of PSM/PASM, it handles a bit differently and can/will bite you if your not paying attention (as in your **** end will become your front end or you will go to steer and nothing will happen)

Have fun and enjoy!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:14 AM
EnergyTrader
Track Day

Originally Posted by iammulva
name is EnergyTrader == he can afford many of these -->

EnergyTrader - where in Houston are you? I have a few recommendations for independents and more than willing to help you work on your car if you want. I understand the 997.2 are different from the 997.1, but some things will be relatively easy and/or the same on each car (e.g. brake fluid). Let me know if you're interested. I learned a bunch from this forum and saved a bunch DIY. I'm near the Galleria.

I am in West U. gene at energyrodeo dot com

email me
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

80-100...you might go ahead and shift to 4th. :-) At 80 in 6th, just pressing slightly on the throttle will get you to 110 quickly without any drama. Other than everyone else driving 30-40 mph slower, the car itself feels like it's JUST getting started at 100.

Seriously, if you get a chance to see a track event up close, like a Grand Am style race, do it! Most top GT teams are running direct injected gts engines now...and they run the **** out of them! Redlining every shift for 2 hours at a time. I don't think anything we're doing to these cars as civilians is hurting them much. The only thing feels uncomfortable to me, in my manual, is launching the car. The few times I've attempted it, the grip is so crazy with 305's, breaking the tires loose takes more aggression than I'm comfortable with.

Almost forgot....CONGRATS!!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
If it's CPO I'd stick with the dealer until warranty runs out.

Assuming the car is warmed up, really the only way to hurt the engine is a missed shift... But if you have a PDK you don't even have to worry about that.

I don't understand this thinking. If you have documented proof that the proper service work was performed in the proper time frame, then there is no reason why the vehicle will have a voided warranty.

Heck, lots of people perform the work themselves and keep the receipts...
Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

As a Porsche owner/driver for my 6th decade now, I can tell you that a Porsche does much better when driven often, rather than allowed to sit under a car cover in a garage. Also, when you do take it out, drive it a sufficient distance for it to warm up to good hot temperatures. Never drive these things short distances or you will impact negatively your service life. These cars talk back to us. When you fill the oil fill port and you see a whitish sludge inside there you are being told that you are not driving it enough to burn off the condensation that accumulates in all engines. Today's Porsches are the least demanding of all Porsches ever built when it comes to service. Simply keep up with fluid changes, filter changes, and adjustments of things like serpentine belts and brake pads and you will be fine. Also, do not fail to periodically check the torque of critical parts of the suspension. These cars will loosen up over time and that is a routine part of service maintenance, often forgotten by owners.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
EnergyTrader
Track Day

I only drive it 3-4 days a week and maybe 10 miles around trip. My office is 1.5 miles from my home.

Guess I need to drive it more often - which should not be hard at all. I really enjoy the car

Quick Reply: New 911 owner - Few Questions for current owners