Sponsored by:

Adding full leather post purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 PM
HWY1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding full leather post purchase

I have standard leather sand beige on my 2011S and have been considering a full leather upgrade - however I hear it's pricey. Frankly, I might be good with only doing the dash..(b c that's what shows most).

3 questions -
- would it look not quite right to only do the dash?
- is there a list anywhere that details exactly what components u get with Full when u order from dealer?
- thoughts on pricing and other remarks welcome.

Thx
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

imo, if you do the dash, do it in black or some other contrasting color. The leather is NOT exactly the same color as the pleather.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember the name but there is a company in the Detroit area that makes leather interiors for Porsches and he will install them if you bring your car in to his shop.
I don't know this person and am not recommending him. He has a website and you may be able to get an idea on prices for various items.

Just looked it up Classic9 Leather shop
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Bring several check books. It's rather price prohibitive. If you insist, consider changing over to natural brown instead of the regular sand beige--that stuff is very light and thin.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Better to sell your car and buy one with full leather. Not only it'd be costly, it'd never turn out as great. There are some panels you can buy, like PCM surround, or dash cover, etc...

One good mod is painting the center console and that turns out great. Bumper plugs can do it and the do amazing work.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well what about a car w/ full leather?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I never found the car to match my wish list precisely so I ended up compromising on full leather.

My options are to stick with what I have, search for the perfect car or upgrade with Porsche parts. I am not interested in going with aftermarket options.

I have priced some of the pieces at Sunset and found that the prices vary widely. For instance the dash/glovebox and center console are priced similarly at about $2700 although they are very different in size. Door panels are close to $2k each but I dream of finding these from a dismantler for less than half that number.

If I do pop for the dash I will order one without the chrono pod.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Wish I had full leather and it often crosses my mind. Actually, the plastic door panels bother me more than the standard dash. The plastic on the pillars is bothersome as well.

What do you guys think about this? How diffcult to DIY?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-...97c8e8&vxp=mtr

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 11-24-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

When I ordered my current 911 the salesman said when I asked him what he thought about not doing full leather since the price with PTS was already in the $120s and he said you're going to be looking at that all day every day....what do you think you want to look at?

That was the end of it!

Tom
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-07-2022)
Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What about a high end upholstery shop? I went to one locally to me that does high end cars. They quoted me $3,000.00 for door panels, PCM sides, dash and center console. That included the stitching as well...

Thoughts? Opinions? Things to be aware of?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
When I ordered my current 911 the salesman said when I asked him what he thought about not doing full leather since the price with PTS was already in the $120s and he said you're going to be looking at that all day every day....what do you think you want to look at?

That was the end of it!

Tom
Hey Tom, I see that you get it. It's something you're gonna' look at all the time so how much is the annoyance of wishing you had leather worth. The same goes for the cost of upgrading - it's your money and you need to price the "annoyance/wish I had leather" factor.

By the way, shouldn't you be getting ready to migrate south for the winter?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

fair warning...if you do upgrade the dash, complete with some quality stitching, you are going to want more. It's a slippery slope. I spent thousands on leather upgrades to my standard sand beige interior. Thousands. And a new dash didn't make my conversion list. (but defrost trim, center speaker, domelight cover, and many many other pieces did. Good luck. Once you get started, I recommend a daily Prilosec dosage. That will help with the angst and reflux associated with agonizing over the next trim pieces to upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-07-2022)
Old 11-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
fair warning...if you do upgrade the dash, complete with some quality stitching, you are going to want more. It's a slippery slope. I spent thousands on leather upgrades to my standard sand beige interior. Thousands. And a new dash didn't make my conversion list. (but defrost trim, center speaker, domelight cover, and many many other pieces did. Good luck. Once you get started, I recommend a daily Prilosec dosage. That will help with the angst and reflux associated with agonizing over the next trim pieces to upgrade.
+1

It's a slippery slope indeed!

Even Porsche's full leather doesn't mean everything. For sure you can spend crazy money converting a non-full leather to a full leather equivalent. But it maybe hard to stop once you get going. Porsche has additional options to cover just about everything plastic in leather if so desired.

My car came with full leather, but after many years of satisfied ownership, the plastic rear center console started to bug me. To me, that piece is a glaring omission to Porsche's so called "full leather". So I upgraded my rear console to leather thinking that would be it. But once I saw how great it looked, smelt and felt, all the other plastic bits began to look cheap. Prior to that, those other plastic bits never bothered me. Little by little, I too have spent big bucks upgrading the remaining plastic bits. I've done even little things like the ignition key surround trim part in leather. However, I haven't done everything. Far from it. For example, Porsche even has options to cover the PCM/NAV/AC face panels in leather - which I'll likely never do.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
+1

It's a slippery slope indeed!

Even Porsche's full leather doesn't mean everything. For sure you can spend crazy money converting a non-full leather to a full leather equivalent. But it maybe hard to stop once you get going. Porsche has additional options to cover just about everything plastic in leather if so desired.

My car came with full leather, but after many years of satisfied ownership, the plastic rear center console started to bug me. To me, that piece is a glaring omission to Porsche's so called "full leather". So I upgraded my rear console to leather thinking that would be it. But once I saw how great it looked, smelt and felt, all the other plastic bits began to look cheap. Prior to that, those other plastic bits never bothered me. Little by little, I too have spent big bucks upgrading the remaining plastic bits. I've done even little things like the ignition key surround trim part in leather. However, I haven't done everything. Far from it. For example, Porsche even has options to cover the PCM/NAV/AC face panels in leather - which I'll likely never do.
You're my idol!

Tom
Old 11-24-2013, 06:10 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Hey Tom, I see that you get it. It's something you're gonna' look at all the time so how much is the annoyance of wishing you had leather worth. The same goes for the cost of upgrading - it's your money and you need to price the "annoyance/wish I had leather" factor.

By the way, shouldn't you be getting ready to migrate south for the winter?
Tim

I'm in Florida now and have been for the last 3 weeks......need to go North for some work I'm doing but then back down here in December for a month. Then back and forth based on how much work I have. I'm a lucky man....it's a good life!

I was on the beach today!!

Tom

Quick Reply: Adding full leather post purchase