Sponsored by:

Adding full leather post purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
What about a high end upholstery shop? I went to one locally to me that does high end cars. They quoted me $3,000.00 for door panels, PCM sides, dash and center console. That included the stitching as well...

Thoughts? Opinions? Things to be aware of?

Thanks!

Steve
Anyone chime in on this please...is this a bad idea? Price is amazing. They say they will use Porsche leather ( whatever that means). Saw them redo Ferrari seat with deviating stitching in red ( red car). Looked amazing!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

You will find that there is no such thing as "Porsche leather." Who ever does the work will attempt to match the Porsche leather but they won't be able to.

Here's the deal. Porsche's regular leather is of course, painted on. Their natural leather is the highest 5% of the leather that their supplier can provide. They don't emboss that stuff, or do anything to make it appear like real leather--many leather shops try to embellish the leather they get to make it look more like leather. The best leather Porsche gets is even better than the premium leather Coach uses on their purses, etc. They don't have to do anything to make it look better. But the surface treatment will appear different than the factory stuff. Anyone who knows Porsche will sit in that car and immediately know it was done by another. That can be okay, provided that doesn't bother you. I saw a 993 that had been extensively redone in newer leather and the workmanship was first rate--but it wasn't factory. Sometimes it can be better.

When I ordered my 997S I spent a lot of time going through the leather options. I selected the stuff that I would be seeing and more importantly, touching, during a drive. When a buddy of mine and I traded cars for 30-40 miles on a run up Route 1 several years ago I missed the leather a lot--his was partial leather, and mine is--well, a lot more.

True, Porsche's idea of 'full leather' is nothing like it used to be. It is all a la carte today, and you pay dearly for every stitch and inch of cow. But, when you are done, it's important to some of us. Others care less about the feel of the interior and focus upon strictly performance.
Attached Images   
Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Dan.....I'm glad I followed your lead with the full leather....didn't go as far as you though so center console (OEM) is on the way.

Love the Natural Brown!

Tom
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You will find that there is no such thing as "Porsche leather." Who ever does the work will attempt to match the Porsche leather but they won't be able to.

Here's the deal. Porsche's regular leather is of course, painted on. Their natural leather is the highest 5% of the leather that their supplier can provide. They don't emboss that stuff, or do anything to make it appear like real leather--many leather shops try to embellish the leather they get to make it look more like leather. The best leather Porsche gets is even better than the premium leather Coach uses on their purses, etc. They don't have to do anything to make it look better. But the surface treatment will appear different than the factory stuff. Anyone who knows Porsche will sit in that car and immediately know it was done by another. That can be okay, provided that doesn't bother you. I saw a 993 that had been extensively redone in newer leather and the workmanship was first rate--but it wasn't factory. Sometimes it can be better.

When I ordered my 997S I spent a lot of time going through the leather options. I selected the stuff that I would be seeing and more importantly, touching, during a drive. When a buddy of mine and I traded cars for 30-40 miles on a run up Route 1 several years ago I missed the leather a lot--his was partial leather, and mine is--well, a lot more.

True, Porsche's idea of 'full leather' is nothing like it used to be. It is all a la carte today, and you pay dearly for every stitch and inch of cow. But, when you are done, it's important to some of us. Others care less about the feel of the interior and focus upon strictly performance.

That is one beautiful interior!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One big difference between Porsche leather and aftermarket options is that the dash (or console/door panel, etc.) apparently has a groove which allows the stitching to be recessed and therefore appear flat.

From what I have read it is difficult or near impossible for an upholstery shop to replicate this result.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:38 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big C
One big difference between Porsche leather and aftermarket options is that the dash (or console/door panel, etc.) apparently has a groove which allows the stitching to be recessed and therefore appear flat.

From what I have read it is difficult or near impossible for an upholstery shop to replicate this result.
This is 100% correct. I saw a documentary on the Porsche factory and they showed the leather shop and a lady installing a stitched piece of leather onto the dash board. There was definitely a groove there that the stitching went into.

I think I will pass on the full leather look by an upholstery shop. I am a perfectionist and will know that it wasn't " factory'" as well as I am sure it won't look 100%.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions. I know what to do and what not to do.

Steve
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
You're my idol!

Tom
Just wait to you get your leather console, you won't regret it! But hopefully you won't become a leather addict like some of us. Still thinking about those leather inner door sills...

...no, must resist, must resist the urge for more leather.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
This is 100% correct. I saw a documentary on the Porsche factory and they showed the leather shop and a lady installing a stitched piece of leather onto the dash board. There was definitely a groove there that the stitching went into.

I think I will pass on the full leather look by an upholstery shop. I am a perfectionist and will know that it wasn't " factory'" as well as I am sure it won't look 100%.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions. I know what to do and what not to do.

Steve
If you're a perfectionist, you absolutely should go OEM.

I had my inner mirror triangles done in leather by ExclusiveOption, http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/997-911-05-12_c2.htm
They do excellent work, very close to OEM but I can tell it's not OEM. You'll pay more for OEM, but it was worth it for me to have that factory look.

But even with OEM, depending on your interior color, the leather may not be a perfect match. The only way to ensure that is to check all the boxes at the time of ordering one's new car.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-07-2022)
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

If you are crazy enough to take the aftermarket installation route. If it were me I would buy a whole extra hide. That way, as above, if you want an extra piece done later, on your slippery slope, you'll have a matching hide colour, texture, age...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The console is very tempting. I think I could stop after that, I think.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
The console is very tempting. I think I could stop after that, I think.
That's exactly how I feel Chris! At least that would hold me for a while. Every time I look at Dan's I want it today. Can't wait to have Carrera 4S on it too!

Tom
Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM
marriotm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The full leather upgrade will be prohibitively expensive, will not come out to your satisfaction (color match and fit/finish) and will add zero value upon a resale. If standard leather remotely bothers you, you are much better off selling and upgrading....
Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The transformation begins. I added the dash and door finishers from Sunset and the door panels were sourced from a dismantler. Pretty happy to have the dash wart eliminated in the process.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-07-2022)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 AM
steerp1ke
Intermediate

Default Rounding out the interior...

Originally Posted by Big C
The transformation begins. I added the dash and door finishers from Sunset and the door panels were sourced from a dismantler. Pretty happy to have the dash wart eliminated in the process.
Big C: it looks like you've done what I'm thinking of doing. How did you like the color match you got on the pieces you sourced from Suncoast? What about the parts from the dismantler? I've been thinking of completing my black leather interior the same way. It's a 996 though and I'm wondering if the passage of time will make the new parts appear much darker than the originals.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 AM
garyinseattle
Instructor

I went from a partial leather in 987, to full leather in this 997. Big difference, and I really like it. the seat backs were an expensive item, but what I like the most is the dash and console.

Quick Reply: Adding full leather post purchase