Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Springs: what is the real drop for a 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default H&R Springs: what is the real drop for a 997.2?

I am in the process of deciding whether or not to install the H&R springs on my 997.2 C4S with PASM.

The issue at hand is the real drop that this springs will provide.

According to my mod guy the drop will be 0.80" rear and 0.75" front. By the way, this are the drop figures that show in the H&R website.

If these numbers are accurate, I don't see the benefit of the springs since the wheel gap in my car is close to 2 inches and the drop they would provide is not sufficient.

On the other hand, forum member "sandwedge" was kind enough to sent me pictures of his 997.2 C4S which is identical to my car, and you can tell the drop was more than 1". "Sandwedge" also told me that the drop in his car was considerable and that the gap is almost gone.

Could it be that H&R is being conservative in his numbers?
Has anyone done this mod in a 997.2 with PASM and care to share the drop results?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely more than an inch and fender gap is almost completely gone. Yes it's worth it.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you cant go by inches in the gap, you will see a difference when the springs are on the car. It may be 3/4" different from stock, but it will look alot lower. If you would use the ROW c4s spring you would get the same amount as most h&r or eibach because they are all made by h&r and all made to get the same optimum result
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 405 Likes on 169 Posts

I've ran H&R's on my prior 06 Carrera and it lowered the car more than 1.0"....more like 1.2-1.4 when it was all said and done. I found them way too stiff as well.

I've got a brand new set of Eibach's in the garage waiting for spring as they only lower the car 1.0 at most and when I sampled a friends 997 with Eibach's it felt just like stock.

I wouldn't go H&R's again...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

the drop on the h&rs look fantastic, however the ride is very coarse... and the front->back bounce (like a boat rowing) every time the car goes over road imperfections and bumps is very reminiscent of civics and integras with cut springs from back in the day.

i have a a buddy with 997 c2S as well as 997 turbo with the car-graphic springs and both cars ride rough (imo), and bounce from front to back... im going to check my phone as im sure i recorded a video of it.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Canadian roads and MMK's roads maybe totally different. I'm with he ontario guys I would not lower my car as low as my H&R springs do. While the look is great, the teeny wienie itsy bitsey rotational part of my brain may not do it again. Maybe. Firm maybe not again. Ok, I would still be torn.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 12-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by myw
the drop on the h&rs look fantastic, however the ride is very coarse... and the front->back bounce (like a boat rowing) every time the car goes over road imperfections and bumps is very reminiscent of civics and integras with cut springs from back in the day.

i have a a buddy with 997 c2S as well as 997 turbo with the car-graphic springs and both cars ride rough (imo), and bounce from front to back... im going to check my phone as im sure i recorded a video of it.
I have not experience the bounce you are talking about with my H&R, how many miles do you have on yours? Might be due to worn shocks? H&R is however more stiff than Eibachs, for me it's sporty that way. I don't mind it.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Definitely more than an inch and fender gap is almost completely gone. Yes it's worth it.
I have not experience the bounce you are talking about with my H&R
Very valuable info. Is your car a 997.2?

Originally Posted by okbarnett
you cant go by inches in the gap, you will see a difference when the springs are on the car. It may be 3/4" different from stock, but it will look a lot lower.
Good point. However, being that my gap is almost 2 inches, I don't see how a 0.8" drop will make the gap disappear

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I've ran H&R's on my prior 06 Carrera and it lowered the car more than 1.0"....more like 1.2-1.4 when it was all said and done. I found them way too stiff as well.
I wouldn't go H&R's again...
Originally Posted by myw
the drop on the h&rs look fantastic, however the ride is very coarse...
Thank you both. However, I am not sure your experience with a 997.1 will be the same for the 997.2

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
... lower my car as low as my H&R springs do.
Funny thing: the whole idea to buy springs started when I noticed how good my friend's 997.1 looked with them. He has the exact same car as yours. Looking good!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

one friend with the turbo has about 20k miles.... the other friend with c2s has about 45k miles. if we all cruise together and their cars are in front of mine i always notice their cars doing the identical front/rear bounce.

my car runs the oem suv suspenion still.

I have not experience the bounce you are talking about with my H&R, how many miles do you have on yours? Might be due to worn shocks? H&R is however more stiff than Eibachs, for me it's sporty that way. I don't mind it.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by myw

I don't have the faintest idea what you're describing. With 45,000 miles on an H&R lowered -06 C4S and 32,000 miles on my H&R lowered -09 C4S, I've never experienced anything like that. I also don't think the ride in normal mode is that different from the stock springs.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Very valuable info. Is your car a 997.2?
No, I have a 997.1 car.

Originally Posted by myw
one friend with the turbo has about 20k miles.... the other friend with c2s has about 45k miles. if we all cruise together and their cars are in front of mine i always notice their cars doing the identical front/rear bounce.

my car runs the oem suv suspenion still.
It's not normal. They shouldn't be doing that. H&R is traditionally stiffer than Eibach, if there are bounces, I would assume it will happen more often than H&R. I have both springs, neither does this. Like you said, it will only bounce like that on cut springs.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I don't have the faintest idea what you're describing. With 45,000 miles on an H&R lowered -06 C4S and 32,000 miles on my H&R lowered -09 C4S, I've never experienced anything like that. I also don't think the ride in normal mode is that different from the stock springs.
I agree, the only time you can tell is when you hit a bump. It's stiff with absolutely no bounce whatsoever.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

^^ ill try to take an iphone video of it next time i see it... prob is that both cars may be in storage as its winter here now.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 405 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Thank you both. However, I am not sure your experience with a 997.1 will be the same for the 997.2
How can you be so sure? Is there something specific about the 997.2's suspension that makes the drop less?

Dunno...you have two of us both who have owned H&R's that have directly experienced them telling you that they are stiff (now keep in mind I drove mine in Dubai - perfectly smooth roads and when there was rough parts yes, you certainly felt the stiffness). Secondly, I measured the drop on my Carrera and can verify that it was lower than 1.0 on all four corners but I suppose when H&R or your shop buddy say a 1.0" drop its fact...

To quote your original post "If these numbers are accurate, I don't see the benefit of the springs since the wheel gap in my car is close to 2 inches and the drop they would provide is not sufficient"...

Trust me the H&R's will drop your car more than 1.0" so go with them otherwise why aren't you looking at Coilovers? You can custom drop and setup the suspension the way you like it.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

just want to point out it DOESN'T bounce up and down a few FEET lowrider stylez... instead, its mild, but... still noticeable. and you cannot tell if you are inside the car.

my friends didnt know until i pointed it out (i probably shouldn't have), so then we ended up swapping cars and they could see the mild rocking-bounce when driving behind their own car.

also, both my friends 911 happen to be running 20s which i am sure negatively impacts the ride quality. but i did drive the turbo ( with the 20s) on a few occasions before it was lowered and the first thing i noticed after it was lowered was that i got a headache (as did my wife) after a few minutes of driving.... granted the roads weren't the best.

my buddy in the turbo is going to either swap back to oem suspension next season or go the coilover route, we all LOVE the look, but the ride is starting to drive him a little crazy.

one last thing, after the springs, as others have stated, it does not look like a 1.0 inch drop, i never measured but after the springs the cars look QUITE lowered (looks amazing actually), but i am doubtful its merely an inch lowering.

perhaps there are some variances in the springs that can account for some widely different 1st hand observations re ride quality that this thread seems to be posing.

It's not normal. They shouldn't be doing that. H&R is traditionally stiffer than Eibach, if there are bounces, I would assume it will happen more often than H&R. I have both springs, neither does this. Like you said, it will only bounce like that on cut springs..
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I raised my ride height last weekend. Snow tire tread. The car is now 1/2 inch higher. With even less fender gap.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs: what is the real drop for a 997.2?