Sponsored by:

997.1 questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 997.1 questions....

I've been looking into ordering a 981 Cayman S, but I just found a really clean '08 997 that's come available that may convince me to go 911. It's got less than 16K miles, and is optioned with 6MT, Sport Chrono Plus and PCCB (along with some other cosmetic junk). It's at a dealer, so it's CPO.

Comparing to a new 981S, it looks as if I'd be getting a bit more car for a bit less money....but without the warranty. Aside from the obvious IMS concern, is there anything specific to the 997.1 that I should pay special attention to in test-driving/inspecting? Use would be daily driver - I already have a track car, so probably not much track day use (if any).

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
I've been looking into ordering a 981 Cayman S, but I just found a really clean '08 997 that's come available that may convince me to go 911. It's got less than 16K miles, and is optioned with 6MT, Sport Chrono Plus and PCCB (along with some other cosmetic junk). It's at a dealer, so it's CPO.

Comparing to a new 981S, it looks as if I'd be getting a bit more car for a bit less money....but without the warranty. Aside from the obvious IMS concern, is there anything specific to the 997.1 that I should pay special attention to in test-driving/inspecting? Use would be daily driver - I already have a track car, so probably not much track day use (if any).

Thanks in advance.
If it has CPO (don't assume just because it's at a dealer that it is CPO) then you have a warranty.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If it has CPO (don't assume just because it's at a dealer that it is CPO)
The sheet in the window said CPO, and the sales person confirmed verbally. That said, until it's in writing on the sale contract, it's not CPO.

then you have a warranty.
Sure, but much shorter than factory warranty on a new car. In the case of this car, it would appear that the warranty is only good through March of 2014, so it really only covers anything that is near the failure point today. (Unless I misunderstand the CPO terms.....?)

A 16K mile car doesn't have a lot of wear, but it may also not have had much attention. What's the potential for problems from letting a car sit too much? Any issues with really infrequent oil changes, for example?

Also wondering about PCCB for a daily driver - how do they handle low-stress, low-temp use?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it should extend for 2 years if they are "recertifying" it. if it is still under cpo from the last owner, it could expire in march. Make sure you don't pay the premium unless is renewed.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Tsmith84
it should extend for 2 years if they are "recertifying" it. if it is still under cpo from the last owner, it could expire in march. Make sure you don't pay the premium unless is renewed.
I'm not sure I understand. I thought that if it was still under the original warranty that CPO was limited to 6 years from original warranty start date, which would be March of 2014. Do I have that part wrong?

The mileage is obviously not an issue.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm not sure I understand. I thought that if it was still under the original warranty that CPO was limited to 6 years from original warranty start date, which would be March of 2014. Do I have that part wrong?

The mileage is obviously not an issue.
It the car is out of the new car warranty period (4 years from delivery), then CPO is 2 years from the date you buy it.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaws1
It the car is out of the new car warranty period (4 years from delivery), then CPO is 2 years from the date you buy it.
Got it - thanks!

Now, about those PCCB brakes........?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dealer is providing the CPO (meaning they are paying PCNA to cover the car under CPO) you should get a minimum of 2 years CPO coverage, plus whatever factory warranty remains.

Is this by any chance a consignment sale? If that were the case, the CPO you are being offered might be what is left over from when the car was sold to the previous customer. This is important for two reasons. First, the dealer is not paying PCNA thousands of dollars for the CPO, and you should be able to negotiate a better deal. And second, the car may not have gone through the re-certification process prior to it being sold to you, so there may be deferred maintenance that has not been addressed, and you will not be assured that brake pad and tire wear are within the CPO minimums. I didn't think CPO warranties were transferable expect through private party sales, but once in awhile I see a story like yours or a listing for a car with a CPO warranty < 2 years that makes me wonder.

Is this a Porsche dealer?

Good luck with your purchase. I hop it works out for you.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:12 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by kcheves
If the dealer is providing the CPO (meaning they are paying PCNA to cover the car under CPO) you should get a minimum of 2 years CPO coverage, plus whatever factory warranty remains.
Got it - this wasn't clear to me.

Is this by any chance a consignment sale?
No - at least not that I'm aware of.

If that were the case, the CPO you are being offered might be what is left over from when the car was sold to the previous customer. This is important for two reasons. [...]
Great input - thanks!

Is this a Porsche dealer?
Yes, and I've not heard any negatives about them. We've had good service experiences with their sister BMW/Mini dealership.

Good luck with your purchase. I hop it works out for you.
Thanks! I think this is my last shot at a used car before just biting the bullet and ordering new - but I'm not sure my current DD will hold out until a new car arrives....
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

If you buy the car at a certify Porsche dealership, the remainder of the CPO will transfer to the new owner.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I though a dealer transaction voided an already in place CPO warranty. If a Porsche dealer they can re certify, if a non porsche dealer... No CPO.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

A 16K mile car doesn't have a lot of wear, but it may also not have had much attention. What's the potential for problems from letting a car sit too much? Any issues with really infrequent oil changes, for example?

Also wondering about PCCB for a daily driver - how do they handle low-stress, low-temp use?
You said you were aware of the IMS issue. Common wisdom around here suggest that cars that have spent a lot of time sleeping in the garage are more prone to it.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Got it - thanks!

Now, about those PCCB brakes........?

PCCB's are the best brakes you could ever own period. No brake dust, incredible stopping power (for daily driving or track) and low maintenance (Brake flush every 2 years). I would sweep up that 997. Wouldn't even be a question over a Cayman.

I've put over 38,000 miles on a set of PCCB and they have been excellent.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Depending on the price you pay. 16,000 miles is a great find, but the tires are, if original are 6 years old. To me, timed out.
Don't get emotional. It is just a car. Keep a level head.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 193 Posts

The 997 is a great daily driver.

IMS issues on the later 997 seem fairly rare. I wouldn't let that be a factor IMHO.

Drive both, go with the one you like the most. I believe the 997 makes for a better driver due to ride quality and interior space.

Quick Reply: 997.1 questions....