Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator - starter cable problem - slow start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Replacing the cable and starter as a package is the best solution possible. Everything else is just guessing one way or the other because both parts have been stressed while compensating... A starter amperage draw test will give you the answer of whether you're dealing with this common issue, or just a weak battery.
The following users liked this post:
JWyatt (01-06-2022)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 AM
mattblack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you fix your warm start problem?

Im having the same over here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...arrera-4s.html
Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
The cable replacement fixed mine instantly...
Mine too.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:13 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Just had the wire harness replaced today. There was a 1.2v drop between alternator and battery. Post replacement the drop was 0.1v
Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had starter and wiring harness replaced (also replaced AOS "while you're in there"). First afternoon with it back and it's starting up better than it ever did, hot or cold!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM
mattblack
Intermediate

Forget about cables had all my replaced again and still did not help...

Go and replace your crank shaft sensor and it will fix the warm start problem... Look me 4 years to find this out
Old 04-27-2015, 06:12 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattblack
Forget about cables had all my replaced again and still did not help...

Go and replace your crank shaft sensor and it will fix the warm start problem... Look me 4 years to find this out
Yeah - I saw your posts.... keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't have the issue you did. Several people seemed to have a simple starter/wiring problem. I hope I'm one of them. If you don't hear from me within a week or two, you'll know mine is fixed. I only have one car, so I drive it everyday, everywhere.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 PM
srseaman
3rd Gear

Default '05 997 Starter Cable Failure

2005 Carrera, 31,000 miles. I experienced sluggish starting, cold and hot, and thought it was the battery. My mechanic said it was a failing alternator. He suggested replacing the starter cable at the same time, as he knows them to have a flawed design causing increased resistance and sometimes causing engine fires. When mine was replaced, the rubber/plastic shield over the starter connection lug where the lead from the alternator joins was melted. My mechanic says he thinks I wasn't too far off from my own fire, and believes the cable design issue may have caused the regulator on the alternator to fail.

I was told that the new cable has holes in the connection lug to permit the solder/lead to better penetrate/connect, an indication of recognition of the earlier design problem.

Any one have this experience? I am hearing anecdotally of other cars having fires and of the dealer replacing these when the cars come in for repair. Both alternator and starter cable replacement was $1,600.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,127 Posts

You likely didn't need a new alternator and the new cable would've corrected your starting issue. The diagnosis on my wife's '05 was the same. I told them I just wanted to have the cable replaced to start with (had the AOS done at the same time as a preventative measure), and that resolved the issue for her car.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 PM
CP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ptech1
Replacing the cable and starter as a package is the best solution possible. Everything else is just guessing one way or the other because both parts have been stressed while compensating... A starter amperage draw test will give you the answer of whether you're dealing with this common issue, or just a weak battery.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

I replaced the cable and starter and all my hot start problems vanished for good. Starters are definitely a wear item and I'm sure all the slow cranks stress the hell out of it. Alternator and battery are typically not the problem here.

Quick Reply: Alternator - starter cable problem - slow start when warm