Sponsored by:

Tire repair kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by targaC4S
I was told that if you use the green goo you are suppose to replace the tire immediately. Any else know if this is true?
With any type of patch, be it the green goop std on the cars, fix-a-flat, or a tire patch insert from the various sources, the advice is the same:
Get the car to a proper tire place immediately (ie thats the next thing you do when you get back in the car) and have the tire removed, (washed out thoroughly if you used a liquid sealer like the goop or fixaflat) and then have the fix removed and the tire hole properly patched from the inside.

If liquids were only in there for a short time, I doubt there was much damage to the inside of the tire... if you drive on it for days.. thats another story, especially if the car sits and the liquid pools for many hours on the inside bottom of the tire.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

and as above. The pooled green goo leads to an unbalanced and wobbly wheel.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
the instructions fro m tire mfg is that when you put the fix a flat into a tire, you should replace the tire, because the faf dissintegrates the rubber to make it seal the leak hole, and it also compromises the whole tire.
so when you bring the car to a dealer and want them to fix it, clean it out, etc, they will tell you they cant do anything unless you replace it.
PS, you should carry a string, plug kit with you.( leather composite strings, not plastic ones), a can of the glue and a reamer inserter tool. you can buy this a auto parts stores.
I've never experienced this. And I checked a few of the sealant companies and a few major tire manufacturers. I can't find anything that says sealant ruins tires. Can you direct me to supporting info?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

ask the porsche dealer
Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't your car already have the factory compressor?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
and as above. The pooled green goo leads to an unbalanced and wobbly wheel.
There is a person speaking from experience. Put too much causes wobbly wheel. Too little goo may not reach the hole and seal completely. Not to mention the mess it creates inside.

Plug with tire glue to complete the seal is the way to go. Have a small razor to cut the outside excess plug off once plug is inserted 2/3 way in.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All, I ordered one of those DynaPlug kits to add to the Porsche 'goop' and Air compressor. I honestly don't like using any of that tire goop stuff as it, in my experience, never fully works until you can get to a shop. I even picked up a Dyna Plug for my wife's car as she would be able to use that to plug a tire as opposed to swap to a doughnut.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I should check my car for the factory air compressor? I saw the green goo in there. I have a battery pack jumper, with air compressor and light in my frunk. And plugs and gloves. I have never used in my Porsche, but am always stopping to help someone. Especially my neighbors and family members. BUT why do they never replace the supplies? I guess the car fairy repair services have plenty.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with a patch as a permanent fix, and a plug as a temporary fix until you can get a proper patch installed. I roll with a $10 plug kit I picked up at a local auto parts store. They're a pain in the *** to use (you may have to take the wheel off to get enough leverage to install the patch), but beats getting stranded. I recommend splurging the extra $2 on the one with the T-handle, since it takes a lot of force and it can be tough to get enough force on the handle of a screwdriver style plug tool.

Treat a roadside plug like you would a donut spare, and you've got nothing to worry about. They're fine for typically highway driving- even if they fail, it's not like it's a blowout, the tire just slowly goes flat again, and you can pull over and address it.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
ask the porsche dealer
I called and asked one of the service writers. She'd never heard of a problem and put me on hold while she went and asked others. She reported that nobody had heard of sealant damaging a tire. Techs hate it because it's a mess - yes, but damage - no.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I've used plugs in the past without issue. I did get the tire to a shop to have a proper installed as soon as I could. Thinking about ordering the DynaPlug.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 PM
nalukane
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought StopNGo Tire Plugger as a precaution and added a few other tools and jack. Had a screw in the tread puncture and it was easy to fix. Did not leak. http://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/

Quick Reply: Tire repair kits