Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Latch Spring Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013 | 04:23 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Default Door Latch Spring Broken?

Hi all. Was opening my door from the inside after running around town and heard a loud "PING". The door latch on the inside is now hanging loose. I can still open the door from the inside, but the latch no longer makes contact with the door.

Some of you might not know this (I didn't) but the inside door latch controls the automatic up and down of the window when the door opens and closes. From the inside with my door closed the latch no longer makes contact and doesn't automatically raise my window when the door is shut. If I press it back against the door, contact is made and the window goes up. I let go and it goes down a hair.

Anyway, I now need to get this fixed. Anyone done this before? I change my own oil and replaced my muffler for the fisterD mufflers but other than that am limited in my mechanical skill. I saw a diy post on removing the door panel. What else does this fix entail?
Old 10-14-2013 | 05:41 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's not too difficult to trouble-shoot this issue and make necessary repairs/replacement. To get an idea what you may be getting into, take a moment and read our Replacing Your Door Lock Mechanism article and go from there.

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-13-2014 | 05:57 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

This just happend to me, any hints on what the problem turned out to be and what parts were needed?
Old 05-13-2014 | 10:03 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

I suggest you order/own the following:
trim removal tools (plastic mini crowbars)
5-6 of the door trim panel clips ($1.50 each at suncoast). you will break some
Door Handle lever ($29.00 at suncoast)
That should be all you need.
Old 05-13-2014 | 10:24 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Originally Posted by eflight
This just happend to me, any hints on what the problem turned out to be and what parts were needed?
Guess it is just that time and this is happening more and more. I posted this on the other forum too and there is a new thread over there with the same question from yesterday. I actually haven't fixed mine yet, isn't giving me any trouble other than hanging a bit loose. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...or-handle.html
Old 05-14-2014 | 06:44 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Thanks, parts on order. I'll try to take some pictures of the fix
Old 05-14-2014 | 10:44 PM
ThePhoenix74
Advanced

Funny.... Mine broke today as well.... What a coincidence! At least I know what to expect to get it fixed...
Old 05-14-2014 | 11:41 PM
Chaycek
Instructor

Mine broke last month, handle is slightly loose. Lol
Old 05-23-2014 | 05:02 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Well I tore apart the door today. Arghhh what aggravation..........

I ordered all the parts and took off the door panel per the DIY sticky. That was a great help

As I was removing the panel I snapped the little plastic tube on the bowden cable right where it attaches to the panel. Dam, but no big deal I figured, afterall I had all the parts. So moving forward I replaced the latch with the new part. Then I realized that the old one was not really broken, just the end of the spring had slipped loose. SO I put that back with a some pliers, good as new. Placed it on the bench.

Then I noticed that the old cable does NOT work with the new latch, ahh, now I know why they come as a set. The ends of the Bowden cable are different and the attachment to the latch is different.

So I guess I'll swap the cable. But this requires taking off the inner panel, well in for a penny in for a pound. Off it comes, lots of screws and electrical connections.

Now here is the real problem. In order to get the other end of the cable attached you have to take the handle and lock out of the door. Well the killer is that you need a 6m 12 point triple square bit to do it.
I for sure did not have one of these in the tool box.

If you dont have one of these around, you are out of luck. Almost nobody carries them in the store. It took me hours to locate a local store that had some, and guess what, those cheap pieces of crap did not work. They would not slide enough into the bolt. There was no way they were deep enough to get the torque needed to get the bolt to come out

So now its a 3 day weekend, the door is all apart, and I dont have the tools local to fix it. Son of a B#@$@$%#@$

So the inner door goes back on, I take off the new latch and put the old one back on. Hook up the old cable, put the outer panel back on.

Good news is that the latch appears to work just fine and the handle closes all the way. I'm not sure if the broken bit on the bowden cable is an issue or not, door appears to work ok.

This is one of those jobs where if you break the wrong piece then your 1 hr job will turn into a 6 hour job

Quick Reply: Door Latch Spring Broken?