Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted or Alcantara Center Console?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Switchfoot614
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Painted or Alcantara Center Console?

I'm tossing around the idea of swapping the main center console for either the OEM alcantara version (sun coast) or color matched from bumper plugs.com. My .2 4S is meteor gray with full leather, sport seats with alc centers so I can pull off the console and lid in alc. Red belts and a rear seat delete are also on the list. My questions are:

1. How does the alcantara wear with the seats/seatbelts ?
2. How is the finish of the bumper plugs console?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Robert
Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the alcantara. I just switched into alcantara seats for my .2 4S and love them, I really like the fact that they are not scorching hot when I sit on them getting into the hot car. I can't say much for the wear yet but the alcantara portions of my seats look new and they are a few years old. As for the center console I am thinking about going with alcantara for that as well to go with the seats. I see alot of alcantara in the GTS, GT2 and GT3 cars so my thoughts are that you may get more value from the alcantara vs. the painted look. Just my two cents
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Leather or the fake Alcantara stuff. Will hold up better than paint.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Given the two choices, I would opt for the painted center console. I really dislike alcantara. I think it is very cheap looking and does not belong in a $100K car. Just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned each and prefer the look of the painted console.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I definitely don't like Alacantra!

Tom
Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

I'm looking to paint my console as well. I'm thinking of having 3M film put on the painted pieces to help it repeal scraps and scratches.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 172 Posts

I had a painted console in aluma-look on my cayman. No additional wear or scratches after a few years of use. In fact, I'm contemplating the headache of moving it over to the 997.2.

Not sure how you scratch up a center console unless you're wearing a watch on your right or are your SO has a watch or bracelets and isn't too careful.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Switchfoot614
I'm tossing around the idea of swapping the main center console for either the OEM alcantara version (sun coast) or color matched from bumper plugs.com. My .2 4S is meteor gray with full leather, sport seats with alc centers so I can pull off the console and lid in alc. Red belts and a rear seat delete are also on the list. My questions are:

1. How does the alcantara wear with the seats/seatbelts ?
2. How is the finish of the bumper plugs console?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Robert
I have a very similar car, Meteor Gray C4S with Alcantara inserts, and Alcantara shifter/hand brake. I decided to go with painted by Bumpber plugs and I am quite happy with it. It cost less than Alcantara, and gives it a bit more shine and a different look altogether.

Having said that, an Alcantara center console would also look great... it's a toss-up IMO.

PS. The painted does NOT wear at all, compared to black center console this hold up much better, BUT you can scratch it with a sharp item, that's the only downside.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the factory Aluminum-Look painted center console in my 2006 C4S. The painted finish is WAY MORE durable than the soft-touch paint which came on the standard consoles. In fact the factory-painted consoles come with a section of clear-bra material on the sides where the seat-belt receivers rub up against (at least mine did). If you go with an after-market repaint, I would recommend putting some protective film on the sides to prevent scratching from the seat belt receiver.

Bumper Plugs apparently is the gold standard when it comes to painting the interior plastic bits of the 997, but it doesn't come cheap. I remember seeing a post that it cost more than $600 to repaint a console (plus an additional charge for the rear cubby compartment), plus you had to send in your original console as an exchange. Therefore if you were hoping to sell your original to defray some of the cost, you'd probably be hit with a serious core charge. All the center console components (ash tray, banana clip, lighters, etc) don't come cheap.

Sean
Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Given the two choices, I would opt for the painted center console. I really dislike alcantara. I think it is very cheap looking and does not belong in a $100K car. Just my opinion.
+1 on the painted console. I don't like Alcantara at all. Looks like Walmart to me. I have a white painted console in my 2012 GTS and it looks as good as new. I do take care of my stuff though.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Switchfoot614
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Many thanks to all for the feedback.. we're torn as a group as well. I really think the meteor console will "pop" whereas the alcantara will be more subtle. Besides, a painted surface will clean up should an event happen. Painted it is.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:07 PM
gwinder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Center console

You could also have the console covered in leather to match your interior for about $900. classic9leathershop.com. I'm going to have mine done in the winter when I'm not driving it.

G
Old 05-23-2014, 01:57 AM
purrybonker
Pro

I rest my case...

(or at least my avatar does)

Mine is an '06 and I have no wear, marks or scratches at all on my painted console.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gwinder
You could also have the console covered in leather to match your interior for about $900. classic9leathershop.com. I'm going to have mine done in the winter when I'm not driving it.

G
It will NEVER be an exact match... I wouldn't try aftermarket leather work at all, it would 100% be different and will cheapen the car rather than making it better. Specially for such a large piece where a small wrong stitching would show itself.

Quick Reply: Painted or Alcantara Center Console?