Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2?

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2?

 
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
  #61  
MarcusG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MarcusG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 1,227
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I'd maybe question the age of the journalist who wrote the Car UK comparison test between the Turbo S and the GTR. It may shed some light on it.
MarcusG is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM
  #62  
cbenz1
User
 
cbenz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Branchburg New Jersey
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

One most important difference as a daily driver is the GT-R has a real usable trunk
cbenz1 is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
  #63  
jbrow
User
 
jbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Anyone can be fast in a GTR, whereas the 911 takes a little more finesse. I like cars that make you work to be quick. That's probably why I enjoy racing motorcycles so much - it's all about the pilot, not the machine.
jbrow is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 PM
  #64  
fskof
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fskof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 1,897
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jbrow View Post
Anyone can be fast in a GTR, whereas the 911 takes a little more finesse. I like cars that make you work to be quick. That's probably why I enjoy racing motorcycles so much - it's all about the pilot, not the machine.
+1

What kind of bike do you have?

I had a 2000 Ducati 996 that I miss
fskof is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM
  #65  
jbrow
User
 
jbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fskof View Post
+1

What kind of bike do you have?

I had a 2000 Ducati 996 that I miss
NICE, I love older Ducs. I always thought it would be hilarious to have both a Porsche 996 and a Duc 996. lol. I used to race an SV650 and I had an R6 for street riding. The SV was stolen from my garage, so I converted my R6 to a race bike, and I don't ride on the street anymore.
jbrow is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
  #66  
fskof
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fskof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 1,897
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jbrow View Post
NICE, I love older Ducs. I always thought it would be hilarious to have both a Porsche 996 and a Duc 996. lol. I used to race an SV650 and I had an R6 for street riding. The SV was stolen from my garage, so I converted my R6 to a race bike, and I don't ride on the street anymore.
R6's make very nice track bikes! Many of my friends still use them for track bikes
fskof is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
  #67  
jmt053
User
 
jmt053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento Area
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It never entered my mind to even consider the GTR. I've seen a few on the street. I don't like the looks and I have read so many reviews of they are fast, but.... teeth rattling ride, etc.
jmt053 is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 PM
  #68  
cbenz1
User
 
cbenz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Branchburg New Jersey
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Try it..actually quite surprising. More useful as daily driver with real trunk. Overall maintenance not bad
cbenz1 is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 PM
  #69  
mxp
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mxp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 272
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

997.2 .... GTR gets old real quick
mxp is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM
  #70  
perfectlap
Super User
 
perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
nissan i think is cheaper with better perfomrnace in most areas. which one would you choose and why? is this like a poll? should i post this somewhere else?
To do what?

For driving to Starbucks I think average non-GT Porsche will do.
For picking up gold diggers? No mystery there.

For the track? GT-R no question. A ton of work went into making Godzilla capable of 7:19 N-ring laptime for a car with the engine not in the middle.
7:08 for the Nismo. If I want a more mono experience I'll drive a 964 RS with six points. If I want to see where all the money went, I'll drive the wheels off that GT-R. And probably live.

On point, Monaco Grand Prix/Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya in an interview said that Porsches "drove like **** (except for the GT3 RS), "never goes where you want it to go" and said he got rid of his Porsche quickly but would never think of selling his GT-R. Coming from a driver that makes his living at 150 mph I was intrigued by this unbiased opinion. Good thing Penske isn't racing ALMS Porsches anymore.
perfectlap is offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM
  #71  
Kero
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by perfectlap View Post
To do what?

For driving to Starbucks I think average non-GT Porsche will do.
For picking up gold diggers? No mystery there.

For the track? GT-R no question. A ton of work went into making Godzilla capable of 7:19 N-ring laptime for a car with the engine not in the middle.
7:08 for the Nismo. If I want a more mono experience I'll drive a 964 RS with six points. If I want to see where all the money went, I'll drive the wheels off that GT-R. And probably live.

On point, Monaco Grand Prix/Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya in an interview said that Porsches "drove like **** (except for the GT3 RS), "never goes where you want it to go" and said he got rid of his Porsche quickly but would never think of selling his GT-R. Coming from a driver that makes his living at 150 mph I was intrigued by this unbiased opinion. Good thing Penske isn't racing ALMS Porsches anymore.
that's because his wife gave him the GT-R as a present
Kero is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: