Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/781085-with-the-money-which-one-would-you-buy-a-nissan-gtr-or-997-2-a.html)

slicky rick 10-13-2013 04:55 AM

with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2?

nissan i think is cheaper with better perfomrnace in most areas. which one would you choose and why? is this like a poll? should i post this somewhere else?

iii911ooo 10-13-2013 06:59 AM

Since you are posting this to a Porsche forum, I suspect that you will get an overwhelming response in favor of the 997. In my opinion, the GTR is overweight and just not very good looking.

slicky rick 10-13-2013 08:04 AM

i agree randy what most answers will be but am curious of the reasons they would put to justify the choice. in a way we also get to know the other car

Chris from Cali 10-13-2013 08:19 AM

The GT-R is for buyers who put performance at the top of their reasons for buying a car. I believe the usual Corvette buyer would get a kick out of the GT-R. It's even an automatic... ;)

I would rather have a 997.2 for a couple of reasons. First, the quality of engineering and materials is unsurpassed. I know the engineering in the GT-R is world-class, but the refinement of that engineering is a little short of Porsche quality. If you compare interiors, it's no contest. The GT-R still feels a little cheap. Second, and this might be a surprise, but cost is a factor. Not only is a 997.2 less expensive than a GT-R to purchase, it's MUCH less expensive to maintain. Figure 911 Turbo levels of maintenance costs, not to mention the super expensive brakes. From Automobile Magazine's long term test:
"22,872 miles The brake squeal is unbearable, and our dealer tells us that it's time for replacement. Total cost for pads, discs, fluid and labor? A staggering $7346!"

That said, it's an amazing performance machine, and still a lot less expensive than a similar 911 Turbo. The thing to do is drive both and see which floats your boat...

Mumbles 10-13-2013 09:33 AM

Power aside, until you drive these other cars you don't realize what class of car the Porsche 911 is in.
I think you'd get bored with the GTR pretty quickly.

awrryan 10-13-2013 09:55 AM

GTR is very boy racer-ish. Hope I don't offend anyone. It definitely has that sports car or "exotic" look, but the interior looks cheap and it just doesn't appeal (to me anyway).

DGrayling 10-13-2013 10:01 AM

+1 on driving both to see which one you would prefer. I am sure I would be a faster driver on the track with the GTR, but a good deal of that is the electronic wizardry that helps make someone look like a more skilled driver. I love the quality of the 997.2 and enjoy doing as much of the DIY maintenance as I can. The GTR would probably be beyond my DIY comfort zone.

I have never driven a GTR, so plz take my comments for what they are worth.

wc11 10-13-2013 10:15 AM

Both are great cars but the culture behind the brand names is totally different.
They will always be car that's better or faster than yours so it's all personal choice.
The 997 is a more raw type car while the GTR is a technological wonder.
The GTR also seems to appeal more to the "tuner" crowd.
Your not going to see many 40+ year olds hanging out with the fast & furious crowd.

chris.hanle 10-13-2013 10:18 AM

For the street, a 911. The nissan seems like a car for those people who are not really racers, but want to be on the street. I hate to say it but seems like a boy racer for grown men. I enjoy going fast, but there is always someone faster (no matter what car you drive), so I would rather be in a nice and refined 911. Not to mention they do not make a GTR cabriolet.

FullThrottle64 10-13-2013 10:18 AM

GTR - straight line speed. Designed to win the stoplight nationals every weekend.

911 - all-around high performance - including handling, comfort, and daily driving duties. If you want to drive the car every day and be able to take it to the track occasionally, the 911 is a far better fit, IMO.

slicky rick 10-13-2013 11:51 AM

Wow never realized that brakes service for the gtr is mind vlowing expensive. And if they wear out that fast i suppose they are not even ceramics.
the gtr is really a tempting machine with the newer ones even out gunning the 458 which is actually my next dream car!
Dont know about the newer models but i also heard the gtr rides so hard you could loose you teeth

Domer911 10-13-2013 12:19 PM

Hey-there's always someone faster, but nothing wrong with trying to minimize the number on the streets who ARE faster...:)

I think there's a significant portion of P-car owners who like the distinguished look of the 911. I mean, who wouldn't? That said, Nissan seems to have done next to nothing to distinguish the look of the GTR from that of the rest of the Z line. So based on aesthetics alone you probably lose few 911 owners to the GTR.

my amateur opinion...

PHX 911 10-13-2013 12:33 PM

I'm all for experiencing cars, no matter the brand, but so far, Porsche is the only brand I've come back to for toy purchases.

Thinking about moving "up" from a 997.2S, it becomes harder to find equal performance for reasonable $.
A GTR is a car I would like to experience some day, but I would likely go the R8 route before a GTR.

Para82 10-13-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by awrryan (Post 10826541)
GTR is very boy racer-ish. Hope I don't offend anyone. It definitely has that sports car or "exotic" look, but the interior looks cheap and it just doesn't appeal (to me anyway).

Disagree with your assesment on it's looks, I thought quite the opposite, the car looks like a hopped up Mitsubishi. Seen it in urban settings/car shows - Tokyo streets you name it always boring as a bodykit to me.

The car has no style, no soul, no character. It's "neat" at best. It's a Nissan with sky-high maintenence costs - thumbs down there. If I was looking for this kind of speed I would get a 07-09 911 Turbo and mod it to 600hp and smoke the living **** out of the gay GTR.

Hella-Buggin' 10-13-2013 02:06 PM

Do you ole the weight in the front or the back. I drive a 911 because I like it hanging out over the rear. I like the way it dances around the corners.