Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

my cousin has a gtr 700hp and its insanely, scary fast... suspension feels like its on sport mode all the time (gets tiring very fast+headaches), and the interior is surprisingly cramped and almost cheap feeling (especially compared to 997 interior with full leather).

with that said the car is nice, with a Japanese muscle-car/pit-bull/brute-force aura. if i had the money in my 20s and was born 10 years later; i would heavily consider buying it.

i think as our tastes mature as we get older, one tends to look more for balance and sophistication in a car, which imho is where the 911's step in.

personally i would get a 997.2, and if i absolutely needed a car with boost i would get a 997 turbo instead of the gtr.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
totally agree....sometimes it's not just about going fast
Exactly. I was trying to explain this to my 15 yo while we're driving around rather spiritedly...trying not to make this a "do as I say, not as I do thing". I mean let's face it, they will all get to 100 pretty damn fast. And you can't just make a habit out of driving like that every time you take the car out or it's going to get expensive. The 911 is fun just taking a regular 90 degree corner at 30 instead of 15, had some fun, never broke the law, never was "unsafe" but it feels as good to do stuff like that in this car as it does to run it hard through 3rd gear well above the speed limit.

As I tell people about my car, or that I finally bought a 911, the reactions are kind of funny. Most look at the pic and say "oh, is that a Porsh?" with a puzzled look. Where if I showed them a picture of a Vette they would say "oh ya! A buddy of mine got one" or "ya, those are cool!". Most people don't "know". I think a few understand after a ride or drive, but some still don't get it. It is in every essence a street legal go kart.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

After hitting 40 and getting almost to 50, i drive to get an adrenalin rush...kinda makes me feel young again. I dont have to run off getting 18 yr olds , thought that would be an adrenalin rush too, but im wondering which one gave a better adrenalin rush? Although i have to agree the Porsche allows us to do regular stuff with it and still smile but having it is more for feeling younger and smiling which made me ask wont the gtr be a better choice...regular stuff better done with a regular car, feeling good done with a special car....
Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

since getting my TT, I've been approached by two different GTR owners. Both were extremely knowledgeable about my car, and I didn't know squat about theirs. After the second encounter I did some research and discovered that although there weren't many stock cars that would outrun the GTR, mine would. Both drivers were respectful of me, which is nice because I'm not much of a driver and both may have beaten me anyway. But again, the launch mode is pretty much a no-brainer.

Both owners were 20-something Amercan kids of Asian descent. I figure 20-something is the demo for that car.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

easy question. I want a manual. GT-R is out.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really depends what you are looking for in a car. If you want something that is very quick from the factory, can be made to be crazy quick, can be driven in any weather get the GTR.

If you want something with a higher level of quality, RWD, and more of a true sports car get the 997.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:03 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

have had 4, 911s... 3 997 and 1 991... and a GTR.

GTR is fast, but if you are tall it's not ideal.
its not comfortable on trips due to interior and gearing (drinks gas cause high rev's at highway speeds)

911 is more comfortable better mileage, more "classy".

if you like boys/men the /gTR is for you.. not one girl will approach you.. but boys and men will flock.. if i was homosexual, i would buy a GTR tomorrow and probably have the best dating life of any homosexual male.

911 is an older crowd but still a sexier car..

i wanted the speed of the GTR and the comfort of a 911.. so i bought a 997TT and then boosted it up a couple hundred HP.. it was faster than the GTR (even with GTR at 700hp the 997TT at 840hp killed it).. and was a much better car all around.

GTR is still fun, but i dont like the cheapness of it.. it upsets you for the price that youre just driving an altima coupe with a turbo's...

press on the overhead lights and the sunglass holder and you feel like its a 15k nissan.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

if you like boys/men the /gTR is for you.. not one girl will approach you.. but boys and men will flock.. if i was homosexual, i would buy a GTR tomorrow and probably have the best dating life of any homosexual male.

With this statement, I think this debate of which car to get should be completely over!!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

i wanted the speed of the GTR and the comfort of a 911.. so i bought a 997TT and then boosted it up a couple hundred HP.. it was faster than the GTR (even with GTR at 700hp the 997TT at 840hp killed it).. and was a much better car all around.
btw, with that kind of power, does your transmission hold up? also, why did u get 997.1 TT over .2?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:37 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Since someone mentioned GIGAWATTS. Let's go back a little in history.
I see the GTR as the current Mitsubishi GTO or Mitsubishi 3000GT and the Dodge Stealth. That car was the GTR of the 9o's. Look at the Stealth now, to me, it is just another 9o's Mitsubishi. Worth 5-8ooo dollars, and a sea of electronics ready to Y2K on you.
Now look at any 2o year old Porsche? I would still have, any of them in my driveway. And feel lucky to have one.

Do I like the GTR, Yes. I drove one for a few weeks. Fantastic car.
Would I own one? No.

My one GTR grip, rear seat room. I can't believe I can say this about a Carrera, But the GTR rear seat room is nonexistent. I'm not that tall, but the GTR seat is almost against the rear seat when I am driving. I often take the 8 and 10 year old to school in the 997. It would never happen in a GTR. Deal breaker for me.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 10-15-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

GT-R is a car that has its fans. I am not one of them. There are plenty of cars in this price range, plenty to choose from.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I have not read the posts, just jumped right to the answer.

I narrowed my search down to a 997.2 or a GT-R. My decision was made simpler by the fact that I wanted a convertible but if I had to choose between two coupes, I would have had a serious conundrum on my hands.

I would probably have gone with the Porsche because of resale values.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
btw, with that kind of power, does your transmission hold up? also, why did u get 997.1 TT over .2?
Last of the Mezger GT1 Race Motor in 997.1 07-09 Turbo's. 2010 Turbo saw the DFI 3.8 introduced. He made the right choice, especially with that power boost.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

have had 4, 911s... 3 997 and 1 991... and a GTR.

GTR is fast, but if you are tall it's not ideal.
its not comfortable on trips due to interior and gearing (drinks gas cause high rev's at highway speeds)

911 is more comfortable better mileage, more "classy".

911 is an older crowd but still a sexier car..

GTR is still fun, but i dont like the cheapness of it.. it upsets you for the price that youre just driving an altima coupe with a turbo's...

press on the overhead lights and the sunglass holder and you feel like its a 15k nissan.
I went to a few car show's this summer and at each one I noticed the same thing. Woman will walk right by the Lambo's, GTR's and Lotus. Most of them would walk up to the old original Fiat 500's, original Mini's and your old british car. Most woman like "cute" cars. Also if you want to pick up woman get a puppy!
I have to find a pic that I have of a Lambo that had about a dozen 15 year old boys standing around it and all of the woman were standing next to a old Fiat 500. LOL I will post it when I find it.
I started a conversation with this beautiful woman and she said that "guy's that drive Lambo's are child molesters" She pointed to a Lambo where there were nothing but boy's standing next to them... She wanted nothing to do with them... LOL
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Went Mezger, and did not need any internal mods... engine is bulletproof.
went manual trans, upgraded clutch to stage 3 sach's clutch (should have removed the clutch assist however) but not one trans problem at all.

Originally Posted by Para82
Last of the Mezger GT1 Race Motor in 997.1 07-09 Turbo's. 2010 Turbo saw the DFI 3.8 introduced. He made the right choice, especially with that power boost.
personally would never go above 600/650 on the new DFI motor.. the mezger on the other hand is a bulletproof masterpiece.. bought the 997.1 on purpose.

Originally Posted by fskof
I went to a few car show's this summer and at each one I noticed the same thing. Woman will walk right by the Lambo's, GTR's and Lotus. Most of them would walk up to the old original Fiat 500's, original Mini's and your old british car. Most woman like "cute" cars. Also if you want to pick up woman get a puppy!
I have to find a pic that I have of a Lambo that had about a dozen 15 year old boys standing around it and all of the woman were standing next to a old Fiat 500. LOL I will post it when I find it.
I started a conversation with this beautiful woman and she said that "guy's that drive Lambo's are child molesters" She pointed to a Lambo where there were nothing but boy's standing next to them... She wanted nothing to do with them... LOL
puppies are ideal but i didnt want the cleanup... i bought a smart car and it's the best first date car ever... mini's and fiat 500's are good choices for this too. lol

Quick Reply: with the money, which one would you buy a nissan gtr or 997.2?