Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 997 Purchase - advice required

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Like others have said, I shouldn't comment on the price. I will, however, give my opinion on some other items--since you asked.

This whole purchase seems to be dependent on the engine rebuild--but you haven't talked to BodyMotion yet so you can't make an informed decision. Does BodyMotion farm out their engine work to this German Motors place? What's the story with that? Did BodyMotion just do the diagnosis and then pass on the work to another shop because the Chevy dealer didn't want to pay BodyMotion's price?

To me, having a rebuilt engine adds no value (in fact, may detract from the value) if the skill of the rebuilder or the scope of the work and the warranty can't be verified. I would think that only a factory engine or a rebuild by a well-known shop with a warranty would warrant paying full retail for an '05.

And I agree with what someone said above. Any specialty car that is sold through a Chevy/Ford/Nissan?etc. dealer will require alot more due dilligence on your part. They not only know nothing about the vehicle, but you won't get any after-sale support if you have any problems because anything that needs fixing will have to be farmed out to indy shops which means extra cost for any bringbacks.

I also suspect that having to spend five figures on a car that the used car manager thought he could fix for a few hundred has left a bad taste in the GM's mouth and now they will do or say anything to get this car off the lot. That's good bargaining power for you but it also means that caveat emptor is in full effect.

In a nutshell, unless I was able to get really comfortable with this engine, I wouldn't touch this car unless they were almost giving it away.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, I just now spoke with both Body Motion and German Automotive.

Apparently, the dealer had sent the car over to German Automotive - seems like a decent shop - shows up in PCar shops searches. The mechanic there diagnosed the IMS failure and then sent the engine over to Body Motion. The mechanic from Body Motion was also a friendly chap who told me about the work they did on the engine. So basically, all the parts that were damaged and required replacing were ordered from Porsche - not used from a donor engine. The newer LN Engineering ceramic bearing was used. No IMSB replacement/retrofit is a guaranteed fix - but it would at least reduce the chance of a failure. I would probably check on the IMS bearing at significant maintenance checkpoints and replace it proactively. There is a 6 month/6000 mile warranty on the rebuild from Body Motion and they do have some good repute in the region.

As for the other service work/inspection on the car, the German Automotive mechanic reported that the car was in good shape - clutch, brakes, gearbox, suspension, electrics had no faults. Diagnostics revealed nothing wrong as well. Body panels also looked healthy - no damages, evidence of resprays etc. Due to the rebuild, all fluids had to be replaced. He reaffirmed that the car has nothing impending as far as maintenance is concerned other than the rebuilt engine that needs a break-in period, associated care etc.

I'm going to find out if the brakes, tires were replaced as the dealer claimed and discuss on the price based on that. Pending a good PPI (looks like part of it was done by German Automotive) I'm thinking I should pull the trigger on this one.

Quick Reply: Potential 997 Purchase - advice required