Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 C2S market prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013 | 12:57 PM
markk132
Instructor

Default 2009 C2S market prices

I'm so excited to be getting closer and closer to buying a Porsche. I want a 2009 C2S with PDK, and it just has to be Guards Red (maybe i'm ok with Ruby Red Metallic) and anything under 40k miles or so is fine. Anyway, i'm an incredibly patient person and i've already been waiting for over a year just watching the market and waiting for prices to come down to around $50k. My budget is just about $50k, and I'm really willing to wait as long as it takes to get the car i want at the number i'm comfortable paying. It's tough to get a read on what people are really paying for these cars. For example i was at a dealer about 2 months ago and they had a gray '09 C2S with a 6 speed and it was listed at $69k. a month later, it was down to $58k. It's just so hard to tell what dealers are really willing to let these cars go for. I was hoping to get some more insight from the veterans on this board, or maybe from someone who recently purchased something similar to what I want. I'm searching all over the US and I don't mind flying out to see a car and drive it home or have it shipped to me. Just looking for some insight and direction to see how close my budget is to the real prices these cars sell for. Thanks in advance, and I've already learned so much from this forum just by searching and reading for the past year or so. Excited to eventually be an owner.
Old 10-10-2013 | 03:58 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

not likely...not yet anyway (is my best guess)
Old 10-10-2013 | 04:33 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

You'd need a rough car or with high miles (60k+) to even be in the low 50's IMO for a .2 S. Nice ones are high 50's and ones with desirable spec/options are well above there.

If you are absolutely hung up on a 997.2 S w/PDK? Have you considered an earlier .1 car? They are very desirable in their own right and I assure you will put just as big a smile on your face. Surely you could wait until they fall into your range but you'd be missing out on a lot of fun in the interim.
Old 10-10-2013 | 04:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Try reading this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-4-months.html

I purchased a C2S in January 2013 for $55.4 with 26K miles. It had a bad Car Fax but said "hit a wild animal".

Here is some pics of it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1013345...64/CarMine9972

I suspect the used car market has increased the values of these cars this year due to being really depressed before. I suspect you will get what you want in the depths of winter. Don't believe the noise on the 'net but get the Truth. The Truth is the Manheim auction prices. I had them and could not believe how low they were at the time and I think I paid about auction price. I know the wisdom of the 'net was very incorrect at that time as folks were saying all kinds of odd things and dealers were asking high prices. I, however, understood the base prices as I had the auction data.

Oh, and options are not a factor in auction pricing despite what a dealer or a fresh buyer will tell you.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-10-2013 | 04:56 PM
markk132
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Try reading this thread.

I purchased a C2S in January 2013 for $55.4 with 26K miles. It had a bad Car Fax but said "hit a wild animal".

Here is some pics of it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1013345...64/CarMine9972

I suspect the used car market has increased the values of these cars this year due to being really depressed before. I suspect you will get what you want in the depths of winter. Don't believe the noise on the 'net but get the Truth. The Truth is the Manheim auction prices. I had them and could not believe how low they were at the time and I think I paid about auction price. I know the wisdom of the 'net was very incorrect at that time as folks were saying all kinds of odd things and dealers were asking high prices. I, however, understood the base prices as I had the auction data.

Oh, and options are not a factor in auction pricing despite what a dealer or a fresh buyer will tell you.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks for the great info Bruce. That thread has a lot of info in it. I wish i had a way to access Manheim pricing for an '09 C2S, but i currently don't. But regardless, it does appear, as i suspected, that i could be in the game here, especially with winter here in the next few months. the problem is, i have yet to see a Guards Red C2S with PDK show up anywhere. I have alerts set up on autotrader, i check cars.com regularly, i check ebay regularly, and i even dabble with craigslist here and there, but not too much. I try to cover every area of the market. I'll continue to look, and hopefully something pops up for me before spring of 2014. If you can help me get Manheim prices, i'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-10-2013 | 06:29 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

be patient... as its been pretty much 4 years since the 997.2 has come out alot of them will be coming off a 4 year lease. if you could pick up a car that has a few months of lease left from an owner who plans to return the car; that would be your best bet as the lease residual buyout price is always less then market asking prices by a signnificant margin.

Originally Posted by markk132
Thanks for the great info Bruce. That thread has a lot of info in it. I wish i had a way to access Manheim pricing for an '09 C2S, but i currently don't. But regardless, it does appear, as i suspected, that i could be in the game here, especially with winter here in the next few months. the problem is, i have yet to see a Guards Red C2S with PDK show up anywhere. I have alerts set up on autotrader, i check cars.com regularly, i check ebay regularly, and i even dabble with craigslist here and there, but not too much. I try to cover every area of the market. I'll continue to look, and hopefully something pops up for me before spring of 2014. If you can help me get Manheim prices, i'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-10-2013 | 06:44 PM
markk132
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
be patient... as its been pretty much 4 years since the 997.2 has come out alot of them will be coming off a 4 year lease. if you could pick up a car that has a few months of lease left from an owner who plans to return the car; that would be your best bet as the lease residual buyout price is always less then market asking prices by a signnificant margin.
honestly, i've been unbelievably patient over the past almost 2 years now monitoring the market and just reading and learning about this car, and i plan to stay patient. I'm a big numbers guy and if i don't get exactly what i want at the price i'm comfortable paying, i'll gladly walk away even if i know i'll have to wait another 4 months. So patience is no problem, but i appreciate the advice.

I have thought of cars coming off leases, but i wasn't familiar with Porsche leases. I thought i'd have to get lucky and find some friend of a friend randomly who happened to be returning a lease soon, so i basically stopped thinking about it, it seemed like too much of a long shot. But if you know of somewhere where i could find someone who is in that type of position who is returning a car soon, then i'm certainly all ears. I think that's a great idea.
Old 10-10-2013 | 07:04 PM
13sinned
Advanced

I was on the same boat, patiently waiting for the right car. Based on the prices i got and checked for 2009 PDK equipped C2S, $54k was the lowest I found from a private seller. Very well kept with sports seats, pasm and clear bra,a big plus, but the price went up because the owner purchased an aftermarket warranty which I told him that I can buy it myself for a better deal. Mileage was mid 20k.

I never got the car because I held on the price I wanted which was mid 50s. Unfortunately, big loss for me because that was the best deal I ever had. A bit different perspective instead of playing the waiting game, imo it's still golden to stretch ones budget a little over for a car that has all the options you wanted along with its excellent condition.

Last edited by 13sinned; 10-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2013 | 07:17 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Manheim data is WORTHLESS because the sample size is just too small. Its a GREAT resource if you want to know the values on a 2011 Honda Accord EX. They are all the same apart from color and miles and there will be hundreds of cars in the sample.

The other issue is that Manheim auction cars generally represent bottom tier cars in terms of condition (there are rare exceptions and dealers are just like anybody else, they pay a premium for premium cars). I attend most of the PCNA and Porsche financial service auctions (there buying other brands being sold at the same time). Being a P-car nut I always preview the P-cars but I always have to make sure I have a bottled water handy to wash the vomit out of my mouth... In the past 8 yeas I have bought exactly 2 P-cars out of auction, they were outliers and I paid up for them.

For what it is worth here is the data:

06/05/13 MILWAUKE Regular $60,500 19,974 Avg BLACK 6G 6 Yes
07/25/13 RIVRSIDE Regular $59,250 20,411 Avg BLACK 6G A Yes
10/08/13 ATLANTA Regular $60,500 24,546 Avg RED 6G P Yes
07/05/13 NEVADA Regular $56,750 33,202 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
10/08/13 ORLANDO Regular $53,400 43,686 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
08/23/13 PA Regular $48,500 65,017 Below BLACK 6G P Yes

The basic upshot is even at auction they aren't anywhere near $50k. Just keep waiting, they will get there but probably not for ~3 years+.

The cars that sell for under market have a reason: Bad Carfax (whether real damage or not it takes a HUGE whack to the cars market value as most customers will automatically rule the car out), undesirable colors or options, less than stellar condition, etc. If you are open to some of those as possibilities you can get closer to your wish price.
Old 10-10-2013 | 07:18 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

in canada we have leasebusters.com

where the current lease-ee of a vehicle wants to unload their leases onto someone else. do they not have those sorts of sites/services in the USA?

2 years? thats pretty much what i waited. as long as you have other decent cars for transportation and general usage, waiting not really a big deal imo. these are 50k+ toys afterall for many.

honestly, i've been unbelievably patient over the past almost 2 years now monitoring the market and just reading and learning about this car, and i plan to stay patient. I'm a big numbers guy and if i don't get exactly what i want at the price i'm comfortable paying, i'll gladly walk away even if i know i'll have to wait another 4 months. So patience is no problem, but i appreciate the advice.

I have thought of cars coming off leases, but i wasn't familiar with Porsche leases. I thought i'd have to get lucky and find some friend of a friend randomly who happened to be returning a lease soon, so i basically stopped thinking about it, it seemed like too much of a long shot. But if you know of somewhere where i could find someone who is in that type of position who is returning a car soon, then i'm certainly all ears. I think that's a great idea.
Old 10-10-2013 | 08:00 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Leases through Porsche Financial Services (PFS) are incredibly impractical to take over. You see, PFS will do a lease transfer but they will not release the original lessee from liability. So, if you walked away from a debt owed to PFS on an assumed lease they would go after the original lessee who, by virtue of their PFS contract, remain a liable party. To the extent that leases are transferred, PFS encourages their lessees to buy out the lease and then sell the car to the third party. (That's how I had to sell my '08 S.) As far as I know, buying a car at the end of the lease is also not a simple matter. The lessee can't tell PFS that they have a buyer and then have the buyer deal with PFS. They will only deal with the lessee - of course, you could give the lessee the payoff who, in turn would turn the car over to you but this requires a big leap of faith - and not everyone is particularly honest.
Old 10-10-2013 | 08:08 PM
markk132
Instructor

Originally Posted by nathan1
Manheim data is WORTHLESS because the sample size is just too small. Its a GREAT resource if you want to know the values on a 2011 Honda Accord EX. They are all the same apart from color and miles and there will be hundreds of cars in the sample.

The other issue is that Manheim auction cars generally represent bottom tier cars in terms of condition (there are rare exceptions and dealers are just like anybody else, they pay a premium for premium cars). I attend most of the PCNA and Porsche financial service auctions (there buying other brands being sold at the same time). Being a P-car nut I always preview the P-cars but I always have to make sure I have a bottled water handy to wash the vomit out of my mouth... In the past 8 yeas I have bought exactly 2 P-cars out of auction, they were outliers and I paid up for them.

For what it is worth here is the data:

06/05/13 MILWAUKE Regular $60,500 19,974 Avg BLACK 6G 6 Yes
07/25/13 RIVRSIDE Regular $59,250 20,411 Avg BLACK 6G A Yes
10/08/13 ATLANTA Regular $60,500 24,546 Avg RED 6G P Yes
07/05/13 NEVADA Regular $56,750 33,202 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
10/08/13 ORLANDO Regular $53,400 43,686 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
08/23/13 PA Regular $48,500 65,017 Below BLACK 6G P Yes

The basic upshot is even at auction they aren't anywhere near $50k. Just keep waiting, they will get there but probably not for ~3 years+.

The cars that sell for under market have a reason: Bad Carfax (whether real damage or not it takes a HUGE whack to the cars market value as most customers will automatically rule the car out), undesirable colors or options, less than stellar condition, etc. If you are open to some of those as possibilities you can get closer to your wish price.
i appreciate all of the great feedback!

realistically, yea i wouldn't want an auction car, but it gives a good indication of what dealer cost is on these cars. i do think you're a little off base on having to wait another 3 years to see $50k. they're already in the mid $50k range. but i do appreciate the Manheim data and your feedback.

The most useful information for me is other people's experiences who are shopping for or have recently bought what I'm looking for. Thank you for sharing your experience, 13sinned, thats great information. The only thing im worried about in finding my own deal is that i'm just so fixated on Guards Red. If i was more willing to open up my color choices, I'd have a car much much faster. But my deal will come in time, i'm confident.

Keep the feedback and experiences coming everyone, thanks for all the info. I'd love to hear from some more recent purchasers.
Old 10-10-2013 | 11:48 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Leases through Porsche Financial Services (PFS) are incredibly impractical to take over. You see, PFS will do a lease transfer but they will not release the original lessee from liability. So, if you walked away from a debt owed to PFS on an assumed lease they would go after the original lessee who, by virtue of their PFS contract, remain a liable party. To the extent that leases are transferred, PFS encourages their lessees to buy out the lease and then sell the car to the third party. (That's how I had to sell my '08 S.) As far as I know, buying a car at the end of the lease is also not a simple matter. The lessee can't tell PFS that they have a buyer and then have the buyer deal with PFS. They will only deal with the lessee - of course, you could give the lessee the payoff who, in turn would turn the car over to you but this requires a big leap of faith - and not everyone is particularly honest.
My case was a little different. I was lucky enough to have a friend that wanted an early out on his lease. I purchased a 2009 C2S loaded with options, 32k miles, excellent condition for only $49,600.00 (payoff). The easiest way to accomplish this is to do the transaction at a dealer. I only paid $490.00 dealer fees and taxes. Additionally, I only paid taxes once, since the dealer paid off the car from Porsche and sold it to me. I was also able to transfer the CPO warranty, which is good until December 2014. Be patient and look for someone that wants lease early out. Good luck!!

P.S. If the lessee pay off the car directly from Porsche they will charge taxes. Then you would have to pay taxes again once you purchase it from your friend. The best way is to do the transaction at the dealer in order to pay the taxes once.
Old 10-10-2013 | 11:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

how many months lease were remaining.

congrats on an amazing deal.

love hearing these stories.

Originally Posted by Robocop305
My case was a little different. I was lucky enough to have a friend that wanted an early out on his lease. I purchased a 2009 C2S loaded with options, 32k miles, excellent condition for only $49,600.00 (payoff). the easiest way to accomplish this is to do the transaction at a dealer. I only paid $490.00 dealer fees and taxes. Additionally, I only paid taxes once, since the dealer paid off the car from Porsche and sold it to me. I was also able to transfer the CPO warranty, which is good until December 2014. Be patient and look for someone that wants lease early out. Good luck!!

P.S. If the lessee pay off the car directly from Porsche they will charge taxes. Then you would have to pay taxes again once you purchase it rom you friend. The best way is to do the transaction at the dealer in order to pay the taxes once.
Old 10-11-2013 | 12:00 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I bought the car back in May and his lease was until January 2014.

Quick Reply: 2009 C2S market prices