Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sports... On national back order?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got frustrated trying to find a set of super sports so had to order birdestones.

i literally called every porsche dealerchip within 50 miles, contacted all online vendors.. no luck!

i would recomemend ebay - there are a few sellers who have them..
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by porka
i got frustrated trying to find a set of super sports so had to order birdestones.

i literally called every porsche dealerchip within 50 miles, contacted all online vendors.. no luck!

i would recomemend ebay - there are a few sellers who have them..
You should have called Dan at Dependable in San Rafael, CA because he would be the man right now.

He mentioned that minus the ones that I just snagged (to be shipped to VA), there are at least 8 more in his supplier's inven...415-456-2311
Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just bought 4 from Suncoast Porsche which they had in stock.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got front and rear 18" for my base Carrera a few weeks ago at my local P dealer. Tires were available and shipped to the dealer the next day. Maybe a) it's just he 19", and/or b) the $70 promotion they were running cleaned them out.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM
porka
Banned

i have a single super sport 305 brand new - i can sell it for $350 collected from san francisco

i always keep a brand new spare in my garage!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:21 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by porka
i have a single super sport 305 brand new - i can sell it for $350 collected from san francisco

i always keep a brand new spare in my garage!
This is very good to know in a pinch!

Tire Rack (and seemingly also most large national distributors) will not have any of the 305s in stock until at least after 11/01.

Fetched mine locally yesterday and shipped off to VA.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM
porka
Banned

Originally Posted by david
This is very good to know in a pinch!

Tire Rack (and seemingly also most large national distributors) will not have any of the 305s in stock until at least after 11/01.

Fetched mine locally yesterday and shipped off to VA.
i bought it as a spare because i got stranded with a flat recently! i could not drive my car for a week as i was searching for a replacement tire!

having a spare is really an essential is seems
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I recall a posting last month re how the MPSS will be replacing the MPS2 as an N-rated tire. Has anyone else seen confirmation of this. I wonder if that is affecting availability as the Stuttgart switches over... and likely prices will go up in the near future. Oh well. I expected tires this good would only remain at it's current price for only so long.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I think this is the reason why there are no more mpss in the market.michelin and porsche finally got their profit sharing act together and decided its time to get the mpss out of the market and come back in with the exactly the same mpss but n rated version. Only changes will be printing of the n spec on the tires and a lot more expensive pricing. Watch for this to happen. Glad i just got 4 for my car last month.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by david
305s mini update

Discount Tire says national back-order.

Tire Rack says they ship on 10/11.

Methinks that they are both wrong...

Any other intel?
Sorry to miss the thread until now....

The 295/30 and 305/30 are the two sizes in most demand. We had a few of the 305's come in a week ago, but they were quickly sold as fast as they came in. I don't believe anyone has them at this point. At this time we are pressing Michelin to get us a concrete ETA on when more will be produced. Early November is the closest estimate they can give us. The tires are made in France, so unfortunately there is also transit times to the US involved after production is complete. I'm sorry we cannot get a hold of the tire sooner, we too wish we had them to sell. I am accepting backorders if anyone wants to get their name on the list for when the next boat lands.

Sorry for the delay.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=david;10812228]
Originally Posted by slicky rick
I think this is the reason why there are no more mpss in the market.michelin and porsche finally got their profit sharing act together and decided its time to get the mpss out of the market and come back in with the exactly the same mpss but n rated version. Only changes will be printing of the n spec on the tires and a lot more expensive pricing. Watch for this to happen. Glad i just got 4 for my car last month.
I can assure you this is not what Michelin is up to. They have no immediate plan to replace N rated PS2's with N rated Super Sports.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

hope your right damon... in the end whatever makes them money will prevail. i just hope even if they have the n spec mpss on the market they still offer the same mpss in non n rated style as these tires rock inboth performance and pricing. dont know about longetivity but if the numbers are right they should also last longer!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I think you might be making a big assumption about N ratings and profit sharing.

Right now the Michelin brand tire of choice for Porsche OEM is the PS2 (N2) for the Carrera. If the Supersports become an approved N rated tire, (big if), then it will be a result of extensive testing by Porsche and the formula might change to improve performance. Only then will it get the N rating.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

You really think they go that deep? That they would specifically reformulate an already great tire just to stamp the n rating? We already know that the mpss trounces the mps2 in almost all areas but does not have the n rating. You think that in order to get the n rating michelin will change the tire for porsche? Hmmmm.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

You really think they go that deep? That they would specifically reformulate an already great tire just to stamp the n rating? We already know that the mpss trounces the mps2 in almost all areas but does not have the n rating. You think that in order to get the n rating michelin will change the tire for porsche? Hmmmm.
Not unusual for tire companies to work closely with manufacturers to design a tire that achieves the performance objectives of the engineers.

The PS2s are a good example. There is a difference in N1 and N2 for the PS2. And the difference is not the tread pattern.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports... On national back order?