Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper sequence for removing old, installing new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Mitleider
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proper sequence for removing old, installing new battery?

Hello friends,

Can anyone please advise the most painless, proper, method for removing an old 997 OEM battery and installing a new one?

I'm fearful that the radio, security, GPS and other computerized functions will go bonkers absent of power even temporarily...??
Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
marriotm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can leave the car running while replacing the battery.

FYI, AutoZone will install your new battery for free.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 273 Posts

Your owner's manual will have instructions and one of those sections should address putting the vehicle back in operation after disconnecting the battery.

While it is possible to change out the battery with the engine running, it is ill advised. If you do, you will be dealing with a LIVE/HOT positive cable that if touched to any bare grounded metal will cause a major short. I was the victim of an unintentional short (my metal watch band between the positive cable and the car body) and there are plenty of sad/bad stories out there when it comes to dealing with batteries and alternators. DC voltage with a lot of amperage behind it is dangerous. Some have reported success with using a low amperage battery maintainer
either through the cigarette lighter or direct connect.

Turn the car off, follow your owner's manual carefully, to include shutting the engine down, remove the negative cable first. Do it right, low risk, no regrets.

Be Safe!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitleider
Hello friends,

Can anyone please advise the most painless, proper, method for removing an old 997 OEM battery and installing a new one?

I'm fearful that the radio, security, GPS and other computerized functions will go bonkers absent of power even temporarily...??
Mitleider, I take my battery outta the car every late fall for about 4 months while the cars in storage. Take the ground of first on the old battery, and put the ground on last on to the new battery.

On my 09 , when I re-install the battery in the Spring time a whole bunch of lights come on, but disappear after a short drive and turning the wheels. You may have to re-set your windows by pressing the window button, taking the window right down the back up tight. You 'll have to do both windows probably. ( car manual has this detail )

I don't have to alter the time or nav details. Everything stays the same.

Don't worry, its easy as changing a battery !
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

In terms of lessening/ameliorating any pain, I had my battery replaced by my Indie, not because it was hard but because I didn't want to chance killing my back as the battery in the 997.1 is in a sort of awkward place. I can't remember what he charged, it wasn't much, but it was worth it to not run the risk of being in pain.

It's been written here previously, and noted above, that when you disconnect and then reconnect the battery the car (ECU?) needs to reset itself. You'll get various lights and warnings but they will clear themselves in short order either by themselves or after a short drive. If they don't clear you can always get them reset. In short, if you change the battery properly you won't hurt the car. Of course, people have also stated that all this can be avoided if you have a battery tender/trickle charger. When you take the old battery out if there is still a power supply hooked up to the car's computer it won't even know anything has changed. (When my Indie did my battery he hooked up a battery tender and said it was for the preceding reason.) Good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Mitleider, I take my battery outta the car every late fall for about 4 months while the cars in storage. Take the ground of first on the old battery, and put the ground on last on to the new battery.

On my 09 , when I re-install the battery in the Spring time a whole bunch of lights come on, but disappear after a short drive and turning the wheels. You may have to re-set your windows by pressing the window button, taking the window right down the back up tight. You 'll have to do both windows probably. ( car manual has this detail )

I don't have to alter the time or nav details. Everything stays the same.

Don't worry, its easy as changing a battery !
+1

Don't worry, nothing bad happens when you disconnect the battery.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

You might also want to mark the cables (pos and neg) before you pull the battery out. They're not that clear and the last thing you want to do is reverse the polarity.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by marriotm

Wow - that's the worst advice I've seen written here.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Never do it with the car running.
Should only take about 15 minutes to change it out and everything should be as it was.
It's not necessary to take out the battery for the winter either. Just plug in a maintainer.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 197 Posts

I need to do this pretty soon as my battery is starting to show signs of a slow death.
I do run a tender on it but it's days are numbered. What's a good replacement battery?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
+1

Don't worry, nothing bad happens when you disconnect the battery.
I just replaced mine, a 10 minute job. Negative is on the drivers side.

I bought the Sam's Club battery (same as Walmart but different label).
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

CAUTION...WARNING..!!!!

Originally Posted by marriotm

NEVER disconnect the battery with engine running, resulting alternator voltage spikes, >50 volts, will TOAST the electronics.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Agreed with wwest! Never remove battery when car is running. Your going to seriously damage your electronics!!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do change your battery with a trickle charger/maintainer connected, I would wrap the positive battery clamp with tape. This will prevent it from touching any metal and causing a short circuit.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I need to do this pretty soon as my battery is starting to show signs of a slow death.
I do run a tender on it but it's days are numbered. What's a good replacement battery?
Some may disagree but a battery is a battery is a battery.
These cars have no more demand with the electronics than any other car.

Specialty batteries mean specialty prices & specialty business hours.
National chains like Wal-Mart or Costco carry brand name batteries with great warranties.
Also, if you do need a replacement, there are stores everywhere and they're open longer hours.

If you insist on OEM, then Audi is identical as the Porsche (except for the name stamped on it ) and it's about a third less in cost.

Quick Reply: Proper sequence for removing old, installing new battery?