Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on my new car purchase please

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both colours are gorgeous! I'm partial to the 997 (perhaps biased) but there's no denying the 991 C4S is a looker. Explorer7...you likely are suffering from buyers remorse and yeah the dealership dudes are being douches but you will get your car and all will be forgotten as soon as you put the hammer down and get that baby north of 5,000 rpm.
Yup $186K is alot of cake for a car. But what the hell you can't take it with you. An acquaintance just bought the Ferrari 250 GT from the movie Ferris Bueller...(not a car similar to it...the actual car). Did he pay too much for it compared to some other sweet rides...you're damn right he did. Is it worth it to him...uh...yeah it totally is.
So if you can't tolerate the 6 mo. wait, or the color, forget all the smack talk on the 997 forum, get in touch with PCA or Porsche corporate and raise a stink about the ****e the dealership is telling you.
Good luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 AM
powderzone
Instructor

and if you convince them to refund your $186K there's a sweet 991 at www.weissach.com barely used for $60K less.

http://www.weissach.com/auto/detail/...d=1732&tp=auto
Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me before you buy another car. You should have handed them your check book... Call PNA, let some heat trickle down for a while.

$186k? For a 400h.p. car? Woof.

Remind me to never let you loose at a Beechcraft/Cessna/Canadair/Gulfstream dealership...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading the grammar and sentence structure with shortcuts in your posts, it sounds like English is not your first or best language. Here is a suggestion for you. Take someone familiar with the laws governing auto purchases in CA with you and go back to the car dealer. This probably means a lawyer or at least a person in the legal profession who speaks English as the primary language. I have NEVER purchased new car at a dealership and was expected to pay in full BEFORE the car was delivered. I did order a BMW M3 once and my deposit was returned to me because I did not like the car once it came. Go over the legal details in advance by showing all contracts and things you have signed. Words don't count as much as things in writing. Good luck getting your money back.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You state it's your dream car and you will keep it for a very long time. While difficult I would just wait it out for your preferred color. Three to four more months will seem like forever but will be a lost memory when you pick it up and punch the gas.

I looked at your order and you checked almost every box. Highly optioned to your liking. Congrats and good for you. If others want a Turbo they are free to go buy a turbo with their own money aren't they?

Dealers do these transactions everyday. We do them once or a few times in our lives. Do they have the upper hand based on a buyers emotion and their ability to manipulate the process? Yes. Is it fair? No.

Good luck and stay grounded. Think about how many people would take a white one in a second but will never be in a position to own a Porsche.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An acquaintance just bought the Ferrari 250 GT from the movie Ferris Bueller...(not a car similar to it...the actual car). Did he pay too much for it compared to some other sweet rides...you're damn right he did.
Those all clones correct? But definitely a cool car non the less.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Those all clones correct? But definitely a cool car non the less.
Correct. It's a Modena Spyder clone of the '63. Crazy money these days for Hollywood cars.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

OP - go back to the dealership and if you don't recieve the right attention from the sales manager request to speak with the dealer owner. You are spending a ton of money on this car and should be receiving what you truly want.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

You paid a lot of coin to obtain your dream car.
Don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want, even if it means you have to wait for it.
It's a few months extra, but if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years, the extra few months will fly by. Take the February allocation, get the color you want, and quit agonizing over a mistake/confusion.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by sy308
From reading the grammar and sentence structure with shortcuts in your posts, it sounds like English is not your first or best language. Here is a suggestion for you. Take someone familiar with the laws governing auto purchases in CA with you and go back to the car dealer. This probably means a lawyer or at least a person in the legal profession who speaks English as the primary language. I have NEVER purchased new car at a dealership and was expected to pay in full BEFORE the car was delivered. I did order a BMW M3 once and my deposit was returned to me because I did not like the car once it came. Go over the legal details in advance by showing all contracts and things you have signed. Words don't count as much as things in writing. Good luck getting your money back.

Quick post/reply:

You are right I am German (and a girl to boot.. so technical talk is even worse) .. I am doing my best with English, but there is definitely room for improvement.
I sound a lot better than I write at least. (People never realize I am german.. they always guess UK English)

I am at work, but I will reply to all the posts once I am back home tonight..

I just wanted to post a quick reply because it definitely put a smile on my face. (plus it might help others to understand why I am writing this way)

I appreciate the advise and comments very much ..
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer7
Quick post/reply:

You are right I am German (and a girl to boot.. so technical talk is even worse) .. I am doing my best with English, but there is definitely room for improvement.
I sound a lot better than I write at least. (People never realize I am german.. they always guess UK English)

I am at work, but I will reply to all the posts once I am back home tonight..

I just wanted to post a quick reply because it definitely put a smile on my face. (plus it might help others to understand why I am writing this way)

I appreciate the advise and comments very much ..
I think car dealerships are one of the last bastions of sexism. I get the sense that they look at women buying cars as lambs to the slaughter. That said, my wife (an in-house attorney who negotiates with outside counsel all too often) is a brutal negotiator. Well, not so much brutal, but she is totally dispassionate about cars (or whatever she is negotiating) and understands that each side has to "save face" and feel comfortable with whatever deal they can agree on. So, in the end, just make sure you're comfortable with whatever terms that you can agree on. (And if you notice the color of my car you can understand that I empathize on the importance of color. If your heart is set on grey, get grey and don't settle. I passed on a great deal for a white GTS and never regretted spending a lot more for the color I wanted.)

I'm sorry if this is cold comfort but there are so many people here who could have given you incredibly great advice about buying your Porsche. I wish you'd have reached out sooner.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Bring a friend, bring in a professional, bring a lawyer. I have bought 3 houses for the price of your one car !
I had had issues with new car dealers, and what they can do, what they want to do, and what they really want to do.
Often they pre-order cars. If they choose the right combo, they can get good money selling that car. If they have to order a car, often they can't make the same amount of profit. Won't change your colour, don't want to change the colour, can't change the colour. These are all a similar message. Perhaps there is a cost to the dealer or salesperson? For that kind of cake, I would want my perfect car. If you paid a deposit, get it back and go to another dealer. If you paid in full for a car that you will see in 60-200 days, that is insane. I call BS, I don't know what that is in German, DAS CRAP? How solvent is the dealership? What are they doing with your money? is it secure? what investment could you be using your money for for six months? This smells. reasonable deposit, payment in full before car is PDI'ed is my car purchase history. My Chevy dealer even lets me pay by personal cheque. Family friend.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Frau, you are in Bay Area. Call a decent lawyer and bring him to the meeting with the dealership. You paid nearly 200k for the car, spend another $1,000.00 for a laywer to bust their ***** if you have to.

The least the dealer can do is give you a perfect car after you made them SO MUCH money from the options you ordered. I would be inserting my right foot about knee deep into the SM hintern if I was in your position.

Which dealer is this BTW? Burlingame Porsche?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Frau, you are in Bay Area. Call a decent lawyer and bring him to the meeting with the dealership. You paid nearly 200k for the car, spend another $1,000.00 for a laywer to bust their ***** if you have to.

The least the dealer can do is give you a perfect car after you made them SO MUCH money from the options you ordered. I would be inserting my right foot about knee deep into the SM hintern if I was in your position.

I wish it was this easy and results could be obtained by these types of actions. But it's not and they can't. Go read the "My poor car thread".

Again....for the dealerships we are just another warm body with money to spend on a hunk of metal. They smile and are probably in general good people, but every business has to draw a line in the sand.

Trust me, I'm not agreeing with their behavior but they are a profit center. They have been challenged before and will again. They have upset people enough that those people have left the brand.

Just like Beverly Hills Porsche, in the end they will still be there selling Porsches to the next person that comes along.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by powderzone
Both colours are gorgeous! I'm partial to the 997 (perhaps biased) but there's no denying the 991 C4S is a looker. Explorer7...you likely are suffering from buyers remorse and yeah the dealership dudes are being douches but you will get your car and all will be forgotten as soon as you put the hammer down and get that baby north of 5,000 rpm.
Yup $186K is alot of cake for a car. But what the hell you can't take it with you. An acquaintance just bought the Ferrari 250 GT from the movie Ferris Bueller...(not a car similar to it...the actual car). Did he pay too much for it compared to some other sweet rides...you're damn right he did. Is it worth it to him...uh...yeah it totally is.
So if you can't tolerate the 6 mo. wait, or the color, forget all the smack talk on the 997 forum, get in touch with PCA or Porsche corporate and raise a stink about the ****e the dealership is telling you.
Good luck!
When I decided on purchasing my porsche, I didn't even give the other models a glance, I always wanted a 911 and thru some good investments, I was able to buy one. You are right, once this is all over, I will definitely enjoy my beautiful new car. I don't like that they lied to me to completed the purchase. Only to go back on their word. Trust me, there are a lot of lessons learned in this purchase that will never happen to me again.
How awesome for your friend. I love that movie.. and understand how someone will spend extra for certain items.
I think I will opt for the 6 month wait. I think they are trying to scare me into it.. and also use their allocations for new customers.
I keep looking at both cars and only really get excited about the grey.. The white is nice. But its not what my final purchased decision was.

Originally Posted by powderzone
and if you convince them to refund your $186K there's a sweet 991 at www.weissach.com barely used for $60K less.

http://www.weissach.com/auto/detail/...d=1732&tp=auto
lol there is no way they will give me my money back.
Since yesterday, I have not heard back, no more emails.. and still no call (since it was requested on Monday) The manager has not even chimed on my request.

Originally Posted by hot nikon
Call me before you buy another car. You should have handed them your check book... Call PNA, let some heat trickle down for a while.

$186k? For a 400h.p. car? Woof.

Remind me to never let you loose at a Beechcraft/Cessna/Canadair/Gulfstream dealership...
What is PNA? What I did do is post on facebook and they replied with a customer service email .. I wrote that email and got a reply that I would be getting a call once they look into the matter. Lets see what happens with that.

I might have been a sucker.. but I will definitely not go down quietly/without putting up a good fight.

Originally Posted by sy308
That was my fault entirely, I just wanted to get all the financial parts out of the way so I can look forward to my purchase alone.
I don't like owning anybody money and always pay in full.
This is not going to happen to me again though. If in this situation again, I will pay upon delivery and not a day sooner. And yes, I will get everything in writing. But in this case, even my contract when I issued payment, does not show the details of the vehicle.
Sounds like your BMW dealer was really good. I doubt these guys would do that.

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
You state it's your dream car and you will keep it for a very long time. While difficult I would just wait it out for your preferred color. Three to four more months will seem like forever but will be a lost memory when you pick it up and punch the gas.

I looked at your order and you checked almost every box. Highly optioned to your liking. Congrats and good for you. If others want a Turbo they are free to go buy a turbo with their own money aren't they?

Dealers do these transactions everyday. We do them once or a few times in our lives. Do they have the upper hand based on a buyers emotion and their ability to manipulate the process? Yes. Is it fair? No.

Good luck and stay grounded. Think about how many people would take a white one in a second but will never be in a position to own a Porsche.
Well put about the dealers portion vs. the buyer and how often we might buy a car like this. You definitely described it nicely.
I have calmed down a lot since I first heard about this on Monday, even though, they are completely ignoring me now. Never got the call from the manager and the emails have stopped.
I want someone to call me and talk to me .. but I will let this play out. And yes, I will wait 6 months if I have to .. even though that is a bunch of bs..
I am fortunate.. but I worked so hard for it. I feel I deserve it too. In the color of my choice

Originally Posted by PHX 911
You paid a lot of coin to obtain your dream car.
Don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want, even if it means you have to wait for it.
It's a few months extra, but if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years, the extra few months will fly by. Take the February allocation, get the color you want, and quit agonizing over a mistake/confusion.
Thank you, I agree.. and appreciate your comment

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
OP - go back to the dealership and if you don't recieve the right attention from the sales manager request to speak with the dealer owner. You are spending a ton of money on this car and should be receiving what you truly want.
At this point they are ignoring me and I can't stop by the dealership during the week because they close at 6pm. I have a job and those hours don't work for me.. But the weekend, is a different story, although I don't relish the idea to go in there and being upset with someone.. I want to resolve this like a grownup in a professional manner.

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I think car dealerships are one of the last bastions of sexism. I get the sense that they look at women buying cars as lambs to the slaughter. That said, my wife (an in-house attorney who negotiates with outside counsel all too often) is a brutal negotiator. Well, not so much brutal, but she is totally dispassionate about cars (or whatever she is negotiating) and understands that each side has to "save face" and feel comfortable with whatever deal they can agree on. So, in the end, just make sure you're comfortable with whatever terms that you can agree on. (And if you notice the color of my car you can understand that I empathize on the importance of color. If your heart is set on grey, get grey and don't settle. I passed on a great deal for a white GTS and never regretted spending a lot more for the color I wanted.)

I'm sorry if this is cold comfort but there are so many people here who could have given you incredibly great advice about buying your Porsche. I wish you'd have reached out sooner.
I am sure that is how they viewed me and I was stupid enough to believe and trust my sales guy James. He made so many statements that were conflicting and simply untrue.. Not what I expected from a luxury dealership. But I guess Car sales men are the same no matter where you go.
Thank you for your post though.. I really appreciate it

I too wish to have entered this forum earlier.. but why be part of a forum if you don't own the car? I started to post when I was in the middle of the buying process and it was the wrong area and got little to no replies..
again.. my mistake.. I feel pretty stupid at this point.. but I never make the same mistake twice..

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Bring a friend, bring in a professional, bring a lawyer. I have bought 3 houses for the price of your one car !
I had had issues with new car dealers, and what they can do, what they want to do, and what they really want to do.
Often they pre-order cars. If they choose the right combo, they can get good money selling that car. If they have to order a car, often they can't make the same amount of profit. Won't change your colour, don't want to change the colour, can't change the colour. These are all a similar message. Perhaps there is a cost to the dealer or salesperson? For that kind of cake, I would want my perfect car. If you paid a deposit, get it back and go to another dealer. If you paid in full for a car that you will see in 60-200 days, that is insane. I call BS, I don't know what that is in German, DAS CRAP? How solvent is the dealership? What are they doing with your money? is it secure? what investment could you be using your money for for six months? This smells. reasonable deposit, payment in full before car is PDI'ed is my car purchase history. My Chevy dealer even lets me pay by personal cheque. Family friend.
In german: .. Das ist absoluter Schwachsinn!
I agree with you.. and I am just happy at this point to have a little support here to help me vent and or get some additional opinions as well as possible advise from insiders that know about allocations, dealerships etc.

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov

I think that would be money wasted.. I signed and I paid.. and all I had was a verbal promise that the new color was no problem.. except that it might delay it a little bit (he said at most another month). Which I did not mind.
Yes, Burlingame Porsche. Rector Porsche and Audi dealer.
btw.. I wish I had yelped them before.. The reviews are very telling.

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I wish it was this easy and results could be obtained by these types of actions. But it's not and they can't. Go read the "My poor car thread".

Again....for the dealerships we are just another warm body with money to spend on a hunk of metal. They smile and are probably in general good people, but every business has to draw a line in the sand.

Trust me, I'm not agreeing with their behavior but they are a profit center. They have been challenged before and will again. They have upset people enough that those people have left the brand.

Just like Beverly Hills Porsche, in the end they will still be there selling Porsches to the next person that comes along.
All I wanted was to have them stick to what was promised.. I held up my end of the bargain, was a pretty easy customer and paid in full.
I understand business and if it was very unreasonable, ok.. but I don't see that in my case. On the contrary..

As a consumer, there is only one thing left, to leave feedback wherever I can so I can prevent another customer to make the same mistakes. There is a little satisfaction in that. And customer service still goes a long way with most people. Especially when there are so many other Porsche dealerships around the Bay Area.

Quick Reply: Advise on my new car purchase please