Sponsored by:

Advise on my new car purchase please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advise on my new car purchase please

I bought a 2014 911 C4S porsche on Saturday.
Previously, I had put down 5k to secure the allocation. According to the salesman, he would be able to secure the allocation for September and hold the vehicle. Plus I would have 10 days to make any changes.
Saturday was the date originally planned to purchase the car, (to be ordered that day and paid in full) but I let him talk me into the early deposit.
As I said, Saturday, we stopped by and I told him that I wanted to change the original configuration to white. While he was hesitant if we could change it at that point, I said that even if I had to forfit the deposit, I would only pay and actually fill out paperwork for this car if the color was changed to Agate Grey.

He left to check "something and confirm" and came back. Pulled up the order on his computer and showed me a date of 9/27 to be a cut off.

We then proceeded to complete the order, select extra warranties, lo jack, maintenance plan and clear bra treatment.
When all was said and done, we arrived at a 186k total including a 3% discount and a few extras such as cover, slim license plate holder, care kit and oil bag.

James promised me that on Monday, he would call to confirm the exact delivery date since there might be a slight delay since I changed color.

Monday came, and no call.. I checked the email and found a short / sweet email saying that the car was already being assembled and a color change was not possible.

after a bunch of back and forth emails.. even opting to create a brand new order (which was given to me as an option)

I got a email that stated that they don't have any allocations and might get one in december. That my car would likely be delivered in February if I would insist on the Agate grey color.

I asked if I can get an allocation with another dealership they said, that was not possible, that they all share the allocations. Wrong again... I had called a few dealers to get a september allocation and Rector motors was the only one that showed me one in their computer and confirmed one. (I requested a screenshot showing me their allocations for the 911s (I know what to look for + two weeks ago.. he had one .. )

Other dealers confirmed that they no longer had September available but they had october allocations that might get my car delivered end of december.

So I went with the Burlingame porsche dealer.. only because of the allocation, rushed the deposit and placed a order. I soon after realized that White would not be a good color for my car. But was so sure that it would be no problem because of what I was told by James (10 day changes) as well as what he told me this last saturday..

Now, what should I do ? Agree to them pressuring me into the white version because they are going back on their word and they don't know when I would get my requested color?

Stick to my guns and insist on the color I really want but I might not see my porsche until February (and even that is not confirmed)

Please help me.. I did not expect the usual car sales-mens experience that you hear about.. since it is a Luxury car dealer... but clearly I was wrong..
Words are twisted in my mouth and I feel truly cheated..

Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm kind of having a hard time following your post; do you want white or grey?

I can tell you one thing: if I'm dropping $186K on a car, I would expect to know what I want. You changed the deal, and that's a big pain for the dealer now, I'd imagine. If you now have to wait until February for your car, a large part of it is because you changed your mind.

Had you made up your mind first, then went to the dealer and stuck to your decision, you'd have your car now.

The dealer may not be helping the situation, but you were the catalyst for this problem. Now, you may hafta wait because of your indecision. It kind of sounds like the person who cheated you getting your car in a timely fashion was you, I'm afraid.

Good luck; sounds like a nice car
Old 09-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

I can tell you one thing: if I'm dropping $186K on a car, I would expect to know what I want. You changed the deal, and that's a big pain for the dealer now, I'd imagine. If you now have to wait until February for your car, a large part of it is because you changed your mind.

Had you made up your mind first, then went to the dealer and stuck to your decision, you'd have your car now.

The dealer may not be helping the situation, but you were the catalyst for this problem. Now, you may hafta wait because of your indecision. It kind of sounds like the person who cheated you getting your car in a timely fashion was you, I'm afraid.

I hear what you are saying.. but I originally entered the shop to look at the cars and colors in person .. telling the sales person that I would be back in two weeks to place an order. He knew I was still undecided.
I ended up being talked into the September allocation and paid a 5k deposit days later via cc while I was at work.

The sales person assured me that I could make changes within 10 days because I was still debating on options as well as final color.

The color I decided on on SAturday was Agate Grey .. It was the first thing I told him when I walked into the shop. Two hours later, that is what was on the order form and that is what I paid for.

I was only told that it might delay the order by a month.. which he would communicate to me on monday by calling me.

I got an email instead.. short and sweet: telling me that the change was not possible and I would have to go with the white or a brand new order would be created..

I can understand that you might have a problem following what I wrote, but a lot has happened and I tried to sum it up to keep the post a decent length. (I personally, don't like long posts and often end up skipping them)

What my problem is, that on Saturday, I was told YES to the Agate Grey, just a little delay would be possible.. and on Monday, I am informed NO, and a whole new order would have to be placed..
Followed by another email today that there are no allocations and at best, I can expect my car in February if I want the Agate grey..
and even that date is not confirmed.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years.. that is why I selected it as loaded as possible.

Why then, settle for a color I don't really love?..

another point is.. why lie to me? If you made a mistake, stand by it and make it up to the customer?

I paid for a Agate Grey car and was told two days later, it was not possible..
They offered a new new allocation, and when I said, ok, new order it is.. I as told the following day that there was no new allocation available until maybe December.. no guarantees..

Bottom line, they are now, pressuring me to buy the white car..

I told the sales person on Saturday, if the change was not possible, I would walk, even if it meant that I would have to forfeit the 5k they charged for the allocation. After I said that to him, he left saying he would check on it, returned and confirmed to me by showing me the order online (black screen with green writing) that 9/27 was the cutoff date and that I can still make the changes I wanted.

I would not have paid the car in full if I was not sure I was actually getting the vehicle I wanted..

I could have easily walked away.. nothing was even signed.. a remove cc payment was made.. that is all.
He closed the deal.. got my payment..
I feel stupid to have paid in full..
Taken advantage off.. Never again.. never will I look at any car salesman.. no matter what dealer and trust a word he says.. I will film him and get everything in writing before I take any other steps.

Its sad really .. This was supposed to be a positive experience me buying my dream car..
Its turning out to be a nightmare.. and they have my money..
Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

If I am paying $186K for a new 4S I expect the dealer to be taking excellent care of me and getting me the car I want - period. Find a new dealership.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 AM
ly610
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget the salesman. Go back and talk to the sales manager. If he doesn't resolve your situation there are plenty of dealerships that would welcome your business. For that kind of money you should get exactly what you want - you definitely don't want to live with a car that reminds you every day of a bad experience.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by cairo94507
If I am paying $186K for a new 4S I expect the dealer to be taking excellent care of me and getting me the car I want - period. Find a new dealership.
Thank you.. that is what I would like to do.. but I paid the car in full.. they have the money.. and I seem to be out of options

Originally Posted by ly610
Forget the salesman. Go back and talk to the sales manager. If he doesn't resolve your situation there are plenty of dealerships that would welcome your business. For that kind of money you should get exactly what you want - you definitely don't want to live with a car that reminds you every day of a bad experience.
The sales manager has been cc'd on all communication since Monday, I requested a call from him and nothing.. He is not chiming in or calling me
And yes, I don't want a car under these circumstances.. reminding me every day what they did to me.. Not my dream car..
But waiting until I "maybe" get my chosen vehicle until February? after I just paid in full.. 6 months?
I feel defeated and stupid..
Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

1) This post should be in the 991 forum.
2) If you are paying $186k for a car, you should get exactly what you want.
3) You should also get your head examined for paying $186k for a C4S.
4) If I had $186k burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a Turbo or Turbo S
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattyf
1) This post should be in the 991 forum.
2) If you are paying $186k for a car, you should get exactly what you want.
3) You should also get your head examined for paying $186k for a C4S.
4) If I had $186k burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a Turbo or Turbo S
1. I am new and don't know where to post
2. I would thing so... but it seems its not working out this way
3. thank you.. but 186k is with all CA taxes and ad ons (lojack, 100k mile warranty, 5 year Maintenance & front half Xpel coverage including back wheels, door handles and back of mirrors) But maybe you are right.. at this point, I am certainly no longer excited or happy to get the damn thing
4. nope.. just realized a childhood dream of owning my dream car.. always wanted a 911..
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

First, it's always been my experience that there is a computer generated stop on orders. That is, you have up until a given date to change the order (I once changed an order the day before it went firm without a problem). And even after the order goes firm they can call Stuttgart/PCNA and try to make a change. If your saleman pulled up your order and it said 9/27 and now claims the order can't be changed, or it has entered the system, then something is rotten in the state of Denmark (or the dealership in this case).

Just asking but why did you pay for the car up front. Every 911 I've ever ordered only required a deposit up front (ranging from two to ten percent of the price). As you now know, the fact that you owe a significant balance gives you some leverage when a situation like this arises. Seems like with all the dealer add-ons (=good profit for the dealer) they should have been more accommodating - oh wait, Frog and Scorpion parable - often they'll try to get every cent they can. Again, I'm not judging but am incredulous that by pre-paying you just gave away $3,000 to $4,000 that you could have earned if invested (even in a bond fund). I know that this sum means more to some than others but if you are amongst the latter it is cash you could have donated to a charity that may need funds a lot more than a Porsche dealer. (And if they demanded pre-payment then walking would have been the way to go.)

At any rate I do wish you the best of luck in resolving this and stick to your guns!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

My configuration:

Standard:

In Grey:

In White:

To me, white vs grey, changes the look drastically and I prefered grey over the white.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
First, it's always been my experience that there is a computer generated stop on orders. That is, you have up until a given date to change the order (I once changed an order the day before it went firm without a problem). And even after the order goes firm they can call Stuttgart/PCNA and try to make a change. If your saleman pulled up your order and it said 9/27 and now claims the order can't be changed, or it has entered the system, then something is rotten in the state of Denmark (or the dealership in this case).

Just asking but why did you pay for the car up front. Every 911 I've ever ordered only required a deposit up front (ranging from two to ten percent of the price). As you now know, the fact that you owe a significant balance gives you some leverage when a situation like this arises. Seems like with all the dealer add-ons (=good profit for the dealer) they should have been more accommodating - oh wait, Frog and Scorpion parable - often they'll try to get every cent they can. Again, I'm not judging but am incredulous that by pre-paying you just gave away $3,000 to $4,000 that you could have earned if invested (even in a bond fund). I know that this sum means more to some than others but if you are amongst the latter it is cash you could have donated to a charity that may need funds a lot more than a Porsche dealer. (And if they demanded pre-payment then walking would have been the way to go.)

At any rate I do wish you the best of luck in resolving this and stick to your guns!
James said that even though it stated 9/27 as a hard stop on Saturday, when he logged in on Monday, they had changed the date to the 12th.
Too many things don't make sense and too many of his statements.

I am trying to fight it but hey have the upper hand because I stupidly paid all.

trust me, that will never happen again.. I don't have this kind of money laying around and had the opportunity to get this car paid in full (I don't like to owe money to anybody)..so I took it and thought, that way I can just look forward to the delivery.. get the keys and drive off.

I was wrong.. and I feel so stupid for trusting and not being more smart about the payment in full.

The last time I bought a car (also paid in full) was 14 years ago.. so, I don't necessarily have experience and being a luxury dealer, I really did not expect this kind of flim flam treatment.

I am handing my 14 year old car over to my teenage son and wanted to make a dream for myself come true while I can still truly enjoy it..

Its really sad.. I am hoping for some good advise here and or at least some support that I don't feel so alone in all of this.

I appreciate the supporting posts a great deal.. and I am trying to stick to my guns.. but I am out of steam because they have my money.. and even though I requested a screenshot of their allocations .. they are not replying and the manager is not chiming in or calling me..
Old 09-18-2013, 12:53 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

Couldn't agree more! 186k...wow! You evidently have $$ or are just crazy! I vote for a turbo!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

[QUOTE=sixgun95;10769005]Couldn't agree more! 186k...wow! Ok I'll say it Explorer7 is full of crap. No one with 186k to spend on a car is that confused.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

[QUOTE=sixgun95;10769021]
Originally Posted by sixgun95
Couldn't agree more! 186k...wow! Ok I'll say it Explorer7 is full of crap. No one with 186k to spend on a car is that confused.
Thanks a lot.. but I am happy to scan in the actual invoice of payment if needed..

Quick Reply: Advise on my new car purchase please