Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third Flat

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

295 or 315 tires are huge. Good chance you going to drive over something with that contact patch.
Drive carefully.

CAA or AAA could be your flatbedding friend. $1oo membership is a lot cheaper than a tow.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been flat free since I purchased my p-car spare tire kit last year... plus I like the ability to get back on the road ASAP.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, I recently had the rear rotors, pads, etc. replaced. When they took the wheel off it looks like the rotor is on the wrong side of the car.

What is the correct way to determine what side is left or right? For example, is left when you are sitting in the drivers seat or is it determined when you stand in front of the car facing the wind shield?
You need to make sure the direction of the vanes ( Cross Drilled Holes ) in the rotors are "leaning" towards the rear of the car. This picture illustrates the passenger side front rotor. You'll see the pattern of the holes leaning in the opposite direction of the rotation of the tire.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgrpph
in past i used full spare from my 02 996C2 when either it or wife's 07 BoxsterS had flat- sold 02 996 & now have 997 TT- no spare. I'm in Hawaii so no road trips-- but worried about flat that can't be patched & requiring an expensive tow.
Been looking for used singe rim/tire to keep in garage as spare. no luck so far. I just bought 4 MPSS from Damon from Tire Rack for BoxsterS. Asked him about spare rim/tire-they had a returned 19" non-stock rim - it was only $140, got it & 235/35ZR-19 Sumitomo HTR Z III for $135- For $275 + shipping i've got a spare that fits either my AWD turbo or BoxsterS to keep in garage.
Great idea but won't help you much unless the flat occurs at or very near home.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
295 or 315 tires are huge. Good chance you going to drive over something with that contact patch.
Drive carefully.

CAA or AAA could be your flatbedding friend. $1oo membership is a lot cheaper than a tow.
That's exactly what I was thinking. With such a huge footprint you're bound to run over more tiny hazards.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was scared of a flat when I first purchased a P-Car without a spare. I took a trip from Houston to Key West in my Boster S and started out nervous. After 300 miles into the trip I forgot about the tires and began to enjoy the trip. I never looked back after I started having such a great time. I did run into trouble on that trip but it was my battery that decided to die. Not an issue, as I went to Sears and picked up a battery and kept my trip moving.
My 997.2 has broken down on the highway at least 4 times as I traveled and I have had two flats locally in town. There is simply nothing you can do about picking up items in the road. I purchased road hazard when I bought the car and it has helped to defray some of the cost of new tires.
My Panamera has had three flats since I purchased it in January and road hazard took care of each of those tires as well. I am used to it now, but the only issue I seem to have is taking my car to the delear to replace any of my tires as they dont keep the Michelin Super Sports in stock. I have learned what is needed to get reimbursed, so I dont bother trying to give the dealer my tire business any longer.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell me about. I got another screw in my left rear tire last weekend. That is four flats so far. I go to Discount Tire now instead of the dealer. They are cheaper, have better service, and can get a tire in same day.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

The more expensive the tire, the more attractive it is to foreign objects like nails, screws and potholes.
X2 if you have no spare
X4 if you are not running runflats
Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You may need to use more caution in how you drive. There is significant junk in the gutter areas of roads. Are your flats mostly on the right side? You're picking up junk on that side. Often the front right tire picks up the object and kicks it up and then the right rear tire hits it and it goes through. I recall a time when I had two flats within weeks of each other. I have tire/wheel insurance but haven't had to use use it that often.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
You need to make sure the direction of the vanes ( Cross Drilled Holes ) in the rotors are "leaning" towards the rear of the car. This picture illustrates the passenger side front rotor. You'll see the pattern of the holes leaning in the opposite direction of the rotation of the tire.
Partially correct. The vanes are inside the rotor and must point to the rear of the vehicle in the direction of rotation. There are times when the drilled pattern is opposite the interior cooling vanes. See post three for more info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...on-rotors.html

Quick Reply: Third Flat