Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Starter/Battery Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 04:43 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

A few days back on the road and all is well. I charged the battery for a day as I was finishing up so I'll give it a week or so before calling it a success.
A few things I did:

- replaced the filter (ahead of schedule but I didn't like the idea of removing the box, disturbing the contents and putting it back on)
- replaced serpentine belt
- replaced rubber grommets that hold the airbox in place (one was missing) 999-703-267-40
- rubber mount on throttle body, mine was split 999-703-349-00

I would recommend Inspecting these area before starting to save time.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 446 Likes on 332 Posts

COSCO sells Interstate batteries. Their battery finder has one that supposedly fits my car for $143.99. No indication it is AGM. Dreading the dead battery jump issue for the frunk one of these days. Anyone know if a battery tender plugged into the aux will open the frunk?

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 04-24-2021, 02:21 PM
Skuba
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911URGE
I just completed this cable replacement today and it has solved all the starting issues and low charging voltage at the battery. My local dealer actually diagnosed/confirmed the issue (while getting a new key made for the car no less) but I was not willing to pay the $3k to do the work. The PO replaced the alternator and battery. The Alternator was putting out 13.9V. Voltage at the battery was 12.5V.

I have a 06 C2S Tiptronic. The job took my brother and I approx 10 hrs as the Tiptronic has way less room to work to remove the cable and feed the new one in under the car. Once the cable was exposed at the starter we could see the rubber boot had melted on the starter bolt. The car starts great and I am seeing 13.5V+ at the battery now. No more charging the battery weekly.

If you have a Tiptronic either have a lot of patience to replace this cable or consider a local indy to do the work.
Hi and greetings from Finland!

About to replace the cable on my 2007 Targa 4S Tiptronic. All the guides I have seen are for manual transmission, so 911URGE (or anyone else done this on Tip), how to get to the terminal underside of the car to get the cable disconnected? If I have understood it right, the terminal is located somewhere on top of the transmission? Do I need to take something out of the way? Any other tips would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
911URGE (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:58 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Skuba
Hi and greetings from Finland!

About to replace the cable on my 2007 Targa 4S Tiptronic. All the guides I have seen are for manual transmission, so 911URGE (or anyone else done this on Tip), how to get to the terminal underside of the car to get the cable disconnected? If I have understood it right, the terminal is located somewhere on top of the transmission? Do I need to take something out of the way? Any other tips would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance.
Skuba welcome to Rennlist from Southern California. Please post a pic of your C4S.

Its been a while since I did this cable replacement. From what I remember all the instructions are correct until you get to the underside of the car. The cable routes slightly different on the Tiptronic than the manual. The manual has a more exposed location for one of the cable mounts than the Tiptronic. There was not anything we could remove as it just required smaller hands and some patience.

The cable for the Tiptronic is different than the manual. Make sure you get the correct one. While you are there and have a lot of this disassembled you should consider replacing the starter since its exposed and easy to do at this point. Good luck and post your results.
Skuba (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 05:01 AM
Skuba
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911URGE
Skuba welcome to Rennlist from Southern California. Please post a pic of your C4S.

Its been a while since I did this cable replacement. From what I remember all the instructions are correct until you get to the underside of the car. The cable routes slightly different on the Tiptronic than the manual. The manual has a more exposed location for one of the cable mounts than the Tiptronic. There was not anything we could remove as it just required smaller hands and some patience.

The cable for the Tiptronic is different than the manual. Make sure you get the correct one. While you are there and have a lot of this disassembled you should consider replacing the starter since its exposed and easy to do at this point. Good luck and post your results.
Thanks for your reply! Actually went to do a little investigation under the car yesterday and noticed the terminal itself is easily accessible and, like you wrote, the cable mount is the one that will be difficult to get to. But while I was checking the terminal, i noticed some heavy corrosion on the connection (the blue stuff, whatever it is). I cleanead the connection properly and guess what, all the problems with starting the car went away.

The history with this starting issue is that since I bought the car on 2019, it´s been quite lazy to turn over, but never caused any actual problems. Now about a week ago after refueling, i got only click from the starter solenoid and after several attempts, i gave up and called a flatbed to get the car back home. Since that I already replaced the battery and also the starter motor. I left the cable to last since the connection to starter motor seemed absolutely fine, no corrosion, melted plastic / rubber or anything. That´s why I was certain it would have been either the starter or battery..

So for now, everything seems to be ok, the car starts way better than ever before. Maybe there has always been some corrosion on the connection and of course the starter itself is now brand new. Because of that, thinking not to change the cable right now unless the problems will reappear. Actually the car had a engine rebuild by Porsche some years ago due to bore scoring, crossed my mind if the cable would have already been changed to a new verstion at the same time. Is there any way to tell is the cable old- or new design?

And last but not least, here´s a picture of the car. It´s from last summer though

911URGE (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:29 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^Really nice looking C4S you have Skuba.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't think the cable is really necessary to replace. If you're having problems, just do the starter and see how the car behaves after it is replaced.

I was able to replace the starter relatively easily and it no longer has the sluggish start like before. I do have a new cable and planned to replace it if necessary; however, it will be saved in a box for now as the car starts up just like a brand new car now.

Last edited by Steve 911; 04-27-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:12 PM
ARODR
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm doing this job on my 2005 C2S w/ Tiptronic and wanted to know if you have any tips. It looks like the cars with manual trans have a cable that's secured to the transmission by 2 10mm bolts whereas our cars have the cable secured by more of a plastic plug thing. I've removed the two clips at the top and the first plug that was more or less accessible but the second plug, the one that's nearest to the terminal end of the cable is giving me issues. I found this write up online where the guy removed a transmission bracket to drop the tiptronic a few mm and this apparently gave him enough room to work. https://www.pressreader.com/uk/911-p...81608128358760 Did you remove this bracket as well?

Quick Reply: DIY Starter/Battery Cable Replacement