997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic engine failure 2008 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Would this have been covered by a Fidelity warranty? Can't wait to see your outcome!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

LA Dismantler has a brand new 2009 3.8 S on Ebay for $23,000 385 HP!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Sgt Angus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91469972
LA Dismantler has a brand new 2009 3.8 S on Ebay for $23,000 385 HP!
That would be awesome but I believe direct fuel injection cars would have a different wiring harness- '08 was the last year of the 997.1 non-DFI engine.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Agree and if you have been a long time customer having this car serviced at the dealership don't be too quick to assume Porsche won't help. Perhaps they will cover part of the repair for a loyal customer.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Sgt Angus
Intermediate

I'm not grasping for warranty- I fully understand these are pricey toys and you pay to play.
Stuff happens- I expect the dealership price quote I noted above was not up for negotiation.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to go the Porsche engine route get a Porsche certified rebuilt unit which is basically an old block completely rebuild by Porsche. I unfortunately was a victim of an IMS failure and went with the refurbished unit and it is literally like new. But $23,000 is way way too much. Call Bob McCarthy at Sunset Porsche in Oregon, he is the Porsche parts manager. Besides being some of the nicest and most helpful people in the Porsche world I got my motor last year for $16,500. I paid $34,000, they shipped the new engine and once I returned the my old one back there was a core credit of about $17,500 (minus $350 shipping). These guys are very professional and great to work with. Best of luck.

Sunset's number is 503-641-8600
Old 08-17-2013, 04:06 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
If you want to go the Porsche engine route get a Porsche certified rebuilt unit which is basically an old block completely rebuild by Porsche. I unfortunately was a victim of an IMS failure and went with the refurbished unit and it is literally like new. But $23,000 is way way too much. Call Bob McCarthy at Sunset Porsche in Oregon, he is the Porsche parts manager. Besides being some of the nicest and most helpful people in the Porsche world I got my motor last year for $16,500. I paid $34,000, they shipped the new engine and once I returned the my old one back there was a core credit of about $17,500 (minus $350 shipping). These guys are very professional and great to work with. Best of luck.

Sunset's number is 503-641-8600
Now thats a plan!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Sgt Angus
Intermediate

Thanks for that lead, I'll call them Monday.
I just received a very complete and professional reply email from Jake at Flat Six Innovations- he's booked until April but since it's snowy here Oct-April that might be OK.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Go with sunset. Good luck
Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes this is a tough situation that many of my customers have faced. Never a good solution. For one customer we got a rebuild from Porsche, another we found a used donor motor, and another right now we are rebuilding as a 3.6 from a 3.4 for track purposes. The problem with Porsche and the INSANE core charge anymore is what if you buy a motor, pay the core, send yours back and they DENY the core. You now have just spent $40K for a rebuilt motor for your car. Plus many people cant just put out the extra almost $20K in hopes of return some day.

My recommendation would be to install a used 3.8l and sell the car. Buy a DFI car that is more up to the task of your occasional jaunts to the racetrack.

Also one other point. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, NEVER TAKE A CAR TO THE DEALER NOT KNOWING YOUR OVERREVS! This is just information that will be used against you. You can check these with and Durametric cable or with a shop that has an independent PIWIS. You can then make the decision to RESET these overrevs before ever taking the car to the dealer. You then have some leverage for having the dealer try to explain to you what happened. In your case maybe they might have had some element of goodwill. But with Type 5 overrevs you will never know.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Angus
I've never missed a shift in this car, I think the over revs were from showing a buddy the difference with PSE on and off in the driveway.
Sorry this happened to you. I'd send the car to Jake and get a 4.0 if it is possible with your damaged core.

And you did not get range 4 and 5 over-revs from playing with the PSE. You missed a shift at some point. Only way possible.

You might have a "D chunk" with the current motor. Hope Jake can save it.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Also one other point. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, NEVER TAKE A CAR TO THE DEALER NOT KNOWING YOUR OVERREVS! This is just information that will be used against you. You can check these with and Durametric cable or with a shop that has an independent PIWIS. You can then make the decision to RESET these overrevs before ever taking the car to the dealer. You then have some leverage for having the dealer try to explain to you what happened. In your case maybe they might have had some element of goodwill. But with Type 5 overrevs you will never know.
Very interesting. Did not know that you could make over revs go away with a PIWIS. Just assumed they were permanently stored. I respect your knowledge and authority on the subject and value your input.

Based on this I now wonder what all the fuss is about when we have to see the rev ranges before buying a used car. CPO'ed or otherwise as this option (erasing) invalidates the whole reason for recording this information.

Last edited by Mark Harris; 08-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Yes this is a tough situation that many of my customers have faced. Never a good solution. For one customer we got a rebuild from Porsche, another we found a used donor motor, and another right now we are rebuilding as a 3.6 from a 3.4 for track purposes. The problem with Porsche and the INSANE core charge anymore is what if you buy a motor, pay the core, send yours back and they DENY the core. You now have just spent $40K for a rebuilt motor for your car. Plus many people cant just put out the extra almost $20K in hopes of return some day.

My recommendation would be to install a used 3.8l and sell the car. Buy a DFI car that is more up to the task of your occasional jaunts to the racetrack.

In 6 years of following posts in Porsche forums, I've never heard of resetting over revs - AFAIK they are permanently a part of the DME. If resetting were possible we would never have any discussion about over revs.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For Porsche yes it is a permanent part of the ECU. It is not a PIWIS function that can erase or alter them. It is a function that can be reset with the appropriate tuners. Have been doing it since the 996 days. Also do it on the cars converted to race cars so we can watch the overrevs for engine management purposes. You might check with some of the tuners and ask.

One issue with a car that has been read out at a dealer sometime with overrevs and then you alter them, next time the car is read at the dealer they can see the discrepency.

The overrevs are there as a big brother (Porsche) appoach to seeing what you did to the car so they can use it against you. There are NO LEGAL issues as this is merely a diagnostic tool and in NO WAY alters the true federally mandated information pertaining to odometer information.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Angus
Thanks for that lead, I'll call them Monday.
I just received a very complete and professional reply email from Jake at Flat Six Innovations- he's booked until April but since it's snowy here Oct-April that might be OK.
Booked until April? These are cars, people can't realistically expect to wait 6 mo for a repair! Maybe he needs to hire more people, gtreat for him for sure. No way I would wait 6 mo on 1 particular builder. Thats unsat in my book. Hell he must be great!

Quick Reply: Catastrophic engine failure 2008 3.8L