Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS issues - should I replace them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TPMS issues - should I replace them?

About 2 weeks ago the outside temps were hitting 100+ every day and at the same time, I was getting a reading that one of my tires was -4 and I would get the error light. I checked the tires and all the pressures were fine. I'd reset the TPMS and the light would come on the next day. This happened for over a week.

About a week ago the temps dropped into the mid 90s and the TPMS seems to be working fine now and I am not getting any errors now. I'm about due for new tires anyways so I'm guessing it's time to replace the sensors due to age. Yes or no?

Is there a way for the dealer or a tire place to see if the sensors are OK? My guess is the heat was killing the battery and they are probably about toast.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MFank
About 2 weeks ago the outside temps were hitting 100+ every day and at the same time, I was getting a reading that one of my tires was -4 and I would get the error light. I checked the tires and all the pressures were fine. I'd reset the TPMS and the light would come on the next day. This happened for over a week.

About a week ago the temps dropped into the mid 90s and the TPMS seems to be working fine now and I am not getting any errors now. I'm about due for new tires anyways so I'm guessing it's time to replace the sensors due to age. Yes or no?

Is there a way for the dealer or a tire place to see if the sensors are OK? My guess is the heat was killing the battery and they are probably about toast.
Did you check the pressures manually - what were the readings?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did check them manually. IIRC - both fronts were 35 and rears 40. The actual readings have always been about 4 lbs higher than what the display shows.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Easy check for the dealer or anyone with a Durametric. I also have an 07 also and recently checked mine for battery life. I have 12 months left on one and a little more on the others. I would bet yours are about to go. I would for sure get new ones if you are getting new tires as tire removal and re-balance is a significant cost to repeat.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:29 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gla
Easy check for the dealer or anyone with a Durametric. I also have an 07 also and recently checked mine for battery life. I have 12 months left on one and a little more on the others. I would bet yours are about to go. I would for sure get new ones if you are getting new tires as tire removal and re-balance is a significant cost to repeat.
+1... You're likely due for some new sensors. I used a set of these aftermarket sensors from OEWheels. For a little more than the cost of 1 p-dealer sensor I got the whole set from OEWheels. So far so good: http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.UgnY-ZK1EVQ Make sure you select the right set for your model/year.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 PM
PivotPoint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine in a 06. Would consider replacing when changing tires. It would be great to get on a cycle every other set or so.

I ordered a knock off set from OE for $150 and my garage couldn't pick up a signal. He checked before he pulled the wheels. Spoke with my mechanic and he told me to get the orange HUF model. Toby at OE credited me right away upon return of original order and sent me the Orange Huf model that ran $312 for a set of four.

I know many have had success with the knock offs. If you give them a try, do yourself a favor and leave them in the bags. Tech can set on fender and attempt to pick up signal before going furthur.

If I had it to do over , I would have bought the orange Huf model right away. You should need the 433 mhz model. This is what I ordered. Check or call that it's a match for a Targa.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.UgrpaOCeuQI
Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
+1... You're likely due for some new sensors. I used a set of these aftermarket sensors from OEWheels. For a little more than the cost of 1 p-dealer sensor I got the whole set from OEWheels. So far so good: http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.UgnY-ZK1EVQ Make sure you select the right set for your model/year.
I picked up this exact set - Thanks for the recommendation James. I ordered on a Thursday night and had the sensors in my mailbox by Monday. Discount tire did the install for $96 so I am in for a total of $285.

The sensors were detected in 6 miles of highway driving 65-75mph.. Only time will tell on the longevity of the sensors, but ORO-TEK has a 1 year warranty. Hoping for 5+ years as advertised....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdr2001
I picked up this exact set - Thanks for the recommendation James. I ordered on a Thursday night and had the sensors in my mailbox by Monday. Discount tire did the install for $96 so I am in for a total of $285.

The sensors were detected in 6 miles of highway driving 65-75mph.. Only time will tell on the longevity of the sensors, but ORO-TEK has a 1 year warranty. Hoping for 5+ years as advertised....
Sure thing Mark. My p-dealer SA was shocked at the price... especially after driving my car and noting how well they sync'd up with my TPMS after a few miles. I'll continue to post how well they do over time but so far it's all good.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking at tires and I have noticed at discount tire there is "tpsm rebuild" option. Are they replacing batteries? Should I skip and just replace whole thing? Just curious.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a vendor on eBay named shopTPMS who sells OEM spec Beru / Huf sensors and stems at great prices.

Recently bought a set from shopTPMS at half the price that the dealership parts counter quoted.

I recommend if you're looking for OEM spec
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Default Skip it

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I have been looking at tires and I have noticed at discount tire there is "tpsm rebuild" option. Are they replacing batteries? Should I skip and just replace whole thing? Just curious.
Chris,

Skip this option if you need new sensors. I got these 3 months ago when I got my new MPSS put on. They rebuild the stem portion, but the battery is the same.

If I knew one of my sensors were going to go out, I would have done the TPMS replacement with the tires.

when you buy a new sensor all the components are included so save the $7-$10 and apply that to your new TPMS monitors.

Good luck..
Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

BTW, ask your SA or p-tech how many months are remaining on your TPMS sensors the next time you take your car in for service(oil change, etc) at the p-dealer. Their PIWIS can pull that information easily. A Durametric Pro tool will also do this if you have one.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

I was quoted $900 in parts by the dealer to replace mine with factory units. I am getting ready to replace tires, I have one TPM light on, and dealer says all are ready to go. Any magic in having an idependent replace these versus dealer? Any history on how long these aftermarket ones last? Also, dealer suggests a full wheel alignment, necessary? Thanks for help.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Any magic in having an idependent replace these versus dealer?
I installed them myself on my new aftermarket wheels a few weeks back. Instructions came with the sensors I purchased. Just install/orient the sensor properly and torque to spec. Very easy.

Any history on how long these aftermarket ones last? time will tell but my SA at the p-dealer was impressed with the aftermarket sensors.

Also, dealer suggests a full wheel alignment, necessary? My SA(a friend) advised that this was not necessary on my car as the wear on my former tire set was normal and that the car drives properly... so no need. BTW, I have 60k+ miles on my car now. Ask the dealer why they recommend the alignment. Beware that some p-dealers are stealerships or specifically their SA may be trying to pull in additional revenue for their dealership... recommending needless service just in the chance that most customers will not question their advice. Case in point: the 1st SA I dealt with at my p-dealer insisted that I get an alignment for a loose steering column b/c he noticed that I had new tires. I disputed his diagnosis and asked to to speak to a p-tech. After a test drive with the p-tech he finally wrote it up for repair/service of a loose steering column. That was my 1st service experience at my p-dealer 2.5 yrs ago. 15k miles later and my current SA(a former p-tech and I consider my friend) there insist that an alignment would be a waste of $$. A good and honest SA may give you a very different diagnosis and save you some dollars. So ask and then ask to speak to their p-tech if you have to...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

Great advise, thanks much. Did you go with the orange huf model of aftermarket, or just the black ones? The specs say the black ones fit the s model (which I have), while the orange ones do not. But the earlier thread says only the orange huf ones worked. Both are 433 mhz.

Quick Reply: TPMS issues - should I replace them?