Sponsored by:

Paint Sealants

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 PM
tkdinga
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klasse Sealant

I've been using Klasse All-In-One (AIO) and Sealant Glaze (SG) for the last 4/5 years and I know there are a lot of new products out there (Black Diamond being one I haven't tried), and a lot of this is personal preference and how much time you want to spend detailing, but I am sold on the Klasse System. It can be easy (1 coat of AIO and 1 of SG, or 1 or 2 passes w/AIO if your paint needs it, then multiple coats of SG).

Keep in mind though, it is Acrylic based and not Polymer based like Zaino (which I used to use on an Audi with good results too), or a Wax like P21S. But the thing I like about Klasse is that well, 1)AIO does a great job for me twice a year of getting off any oxidation, water spots and minor swirls, and 2) Sealant Glaze (if aplied in 2 or 3 or more coats) starts building up like coats of glass and the look is incredible, 3) You can top off SG with a good Caranuba Wax like P21S if you'd like, but I have had such great success w/thin coats of SG that I have 5 on there now, and Wax would be just a waste of time, for me. The water beading now is incredible and the paint is protected for at least 5/6 mos.

Finally, SG gets a bad rap for sometimes being difficult to remove but here's a tip that eliminates all of that: Sonus makes a product called Sonus Acrylic Glanz, which is designed to work w/SG. You don't have to, but if you spritz it on your applicator to apply SG, it is easier to apply, and then mist your buffing towel or the body panel when you are ready to wipe SG off, I have had absolutely no trouble removing all traces of it. Acrylic Glanz is obviously acrylic based so it is a great companion product for Klasse. The other great thing is once you have the Klasse on your car, you can use Glanz, or their Acrylic Spritz, to detail your car between or after washes or as a final step.

Sorry for the long post but I've found w/some German paint formulations, the Acrylic seems to really work well. Obviously not knocking anything else because there are a lot of things out there I haven't tried, but I'm sold on this process.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 AM
hakaida702
Racer

For sealants I prefer Menzerna or Auto Finesse.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Griot's Garage... I've used their sealant since '04 on my cars. Top shelf products. I use the sealant in fall & spring each year and top with their premium carnauba. Hand wash with Griot's spray wax and you're good to go. Since following this process I've never - ever - had any blemishes. The key is to have a perfect surface with the initial sealant application.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDatanator
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Griot's Garage... I've used their sealant since '04 on my cars. Top shelf products. I use the sealant in fall & spring each year and top with their premium carnauba. Hand wash with Griot's spray wax and you're good to go. Since following this process I've never - ever - had any blemishes. The key is to have a perfect surface with the initial sealant application.
I also use griots sealant and "best of show wax" as well as the spray wax after washing. So you do the sealant and then the wax over that? I always thought it was an either/or situation. That said, I am not a clean and detail your car for fun kind of guy but I want it to look good. I just bought a brand new black van. I am trying to decide if I should sealant or wax? The van lives outside.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastm3
I've never used a paint sealant on my car; just wax. I understand sealants last much longer than carnauba based waxes. Since my car is hardly a garage queen, and spends most of its life outside, I'm thinking a sealant might be just the ticket. Are there any disadvantages to using a sealant? Do I have to remove the current wax on the car before applying a sealant? Autogeek seems to be pushing the Klasse and Wolfgang sealants. They claim that Klasse can last up to a year. What do you guys think?
Just use Dawn dish washer liquid to remove the old wax. Autogeek is correct. I've been using Klasse Sealant glaze for years and it works great, especially on black cars. Add a few coats and your paint becomes a mirror. Don't over do it as it could be hard to remove. I tried to do it twice a year but once a year is sufficient if you don't park your cars outside.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Just use Dawn dish washer liquid to remove the old wax. Autogeek is correct. I've been using Klasse Sealant glaze for years and it works great, especially on black cars. Add a few coats and your paint becomes a mirror. Don't over do it as it could be hard to remove. I tried to do it twice a year but once a year is sufficient if you don't park your cars outside.

Ynot, do you have a particular tricks to the application and wipe off of the Klasse sealant? I've read in an older thread that putting the sealant in a spray bottle, then spray on car to wipe off makes it easier to remove/ buff out but have yet to try this..

Many thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarreraX

I also use griots sealant and "best of show wax" as well as the spray wax after washing. So you do the sealant and then the wax over that? I always thought it was an either/or situation. That said, I am not a clean and detail your car for fun kind of guy but I want it to look good. I just bought a brand new black van. I am trying to decide if I should sealant or wax? The van lives outside.
With a clean surface (you'll have to determine if you need to clay your paint) use sealer. You really don't need to wax over it because the paint is then protected. If you want more depth and warmth, use a good carnauba over the sealer. You will love it.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys...new to the Porsche world so this might be a dumb question. Does the paint sealant protect against rock chips too? Does the effect a paint sealant have get reduced if you have 3M or Xpel installed?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I use Zaino.... Zaino is stupidly easy to use and fast. When I first purchased it, I approached it like a wax and it took me forever to do the job. I didn't know what I was doing. I applied way too much and would rub and buff like using a wax...... wrong. To go super fast:

1 - Wash with Dawn and hot water... it will strip all wax
2 - Apply Zaino (use accelerant) very very very sparingly. I can do my whole car with just a tiny tiny amount and in about 10 minutes (sans wipe off)
3 - Wipe off (Don't buff... no value)
4 - Next washes, use the Z6 and spritz lightly and go fast fast fast (I can Z6 my car in less that 5 minutes).

You don't need to reapply the base cote..... maybe once a year. The Z6 does the job. Don't over think this nor let the neurotic drive your approach. Keep it simple by using Z6 after each wash.

For my last good washing in the fall, I then use Mother's liquid carnauba wax for a protective coat for the winter. I don't view Zaino as "protection" or as a sealant. Supposedly, it only goes on a few molecules thick... not a good protective coat. Wax, on the other hand, is thicker and will give its self up and protect paint better so I use it in the winter when I wash less. IMHO

Here is my now gone 2000 Boxster S with around 150K miles..... I compounded it with Maguiars, then Zaino.... Careful! Put on your sunglasses!!!

Shiny Shiny Shiny at 150K!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
+1
1. Get car clean by washing if first time use Dawn
2. Use Z2 accelerant not really necessary unless cold out.
in the the early days it didn't exit! Use Z2 very sparingly!
3. Easy Wipe off when it hazes.
Thats it lasts and lasts and has great protection and great shine.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
Ynot, do you have a particular tricks to the application and wipe off of the Klasse sealant? I've read in an older thread that putting the sealant in a spray bottle, then spray on car to wipe off makes it easier to remove/ buff out but have yet to try this..

Many thanks.
That sounds like a great idea but if you are going to spray, I suggest wrapping up the rubber parts otherwise it'll be a pain to remove. I do it the old fashion way. Squeeze a small amount on a foam pad and apply it to one section, move on the section, let the first section dry, then go back and scrub it off with a microfiber cloth.

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Guys...new to the Porsche world so this might be a dumb question. Does the paint sealant protect against rock chips too? Does the effect a paint sealant have get reduced if you have 3M or Xpel installed?
No, only way to protect it from rock chips is to cover it with clear bra like 3M, Xpel, etc. Hopefully you'll apply a coat of wax and or sealant before cover it up with a clear bra. Your clear bra will protect you from UV rays, rock chips, etc. When you remove it, your paint will be brand new again.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247

Many thanks.
I have used this technique and works great
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

Agree Z2 accelerant not needed. I like to use Zaino All in one first, then very thin layer of Z2, topped off with Z6 spray.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Klasse SG for a long time. Great result but Werkstatt Trigger is immensely easier to use. No special techniques need for excellent results and protection.
Their Prime seasonal polish is also one of the best I've ever used and I have a garage full of every single boutique and OTC brand. By the way, don't believe the hype of most of these detailing companies.

It's all in the prep.

I could prep two cars equally and use expensive boutique brand X's sealant and wax on one car, and $8 Turtle wax on the other and only a very well-trained eye could tell them apart.
Save your money for quality towels like the Griot's green and blues.

Originally Posted by TheDatanator
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Griot's Garage... I've used their sealant since '04 on my cars. Top shelf products.
The thing I like about Griot's is that you can buy it over the counter at Advanced Auto. That eliminates the "shipping and handling" charges. Also, they run generous email coupons and sometimes Advanced have as much as 50% discounts during the holidays. This is when I order lots of Griot's towels. And the best deal on clay bars is from Griots, a large quantity, they don't bundle it with detail spray to jack up the price like Meguiar's or Mothers, but they do package it in an air-tight jar to keep the clay soft.
Along with Finish Kare's 425 spray ( a proprietary must have product) I buy Griot's waterless wash and carnauba spray wax by the gallon.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectlap
It's all in the prep.
What specifically are you talking about re: prep? I get confused when I read these threads. Everyone has a product or products they SWEAR by, but no one seems to agree on just one. That makes me tend to agree with you on product (buy a "good enough" brand and you should get good results). Curious about your prep.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Prep is the act of getting the paint itself (pre wax or sealant) as smooth as possible. Usually involves claying (to remove contaminants) then polishing (ranging from compounds to finishing poilishes) using a random orbital or direct drive polishers (Flex etc).

If the piant isnt defect free then you are just polishing or sealing the defects. Check out autogeek.com or another such website. So much info it will make your head spin

Quick Reply: Paint Sealants