Sponsored by:

Paint Sealants

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint Sealants

I've never used a paint sealant on my car; just wax. I understand sealants last much longer than carnauba based waxes. Since my car is hardly a garage queen, and spends most of its life outside, I'm thinking a sealant might be just the ticket. Are there any disadvantages to using a sealant? Do I have to remove the current wax on the car before applying a sealant? Autogeek seems to be pushing the Klasse and Wolfgang sealants. They claim that Klasse can last up to a year. What do you guys think?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm sort of old school but a while back, after some research, I decided to use Klasse sealant, partly because it can be topped with carnauba. Unfortunately, life has been too busy and I haven't gotten to it yet, so no real world experience.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

I just applied the Zaino system to my car. I have to say that it's a full days work to strip the old wax, and apply the different coats but man, it looks incredible. It's been a few months and it still looks fresh. This would be the point where I would start thinking about waxing it again but it looks great.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes remove the previous stuff. Clay and then light polish with a Flex or Porter or whatever to remove light imperfections. Klasse is good and and I have it as well but have recently been using Menzerna power lock sealant. There both good but in weather like mine you need it every few months. Nothing last a year in Cdn conditions. Nothing.

You need a good a good polisher like a Flex though. Makes it so much easier. Check out Autogeek or one of those sites. Tons of info. Once you have the right equipment it's all good !!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I just applied the Zaino system to my car. I have to say that it's a full days work to strip the old wax, and apply the different coats but man, it looks incredible. It's been a few months and it still looks fresh. This would be the point where I would start thinking about waxing it again but it looks great.
I've been using Zanio for over 15 Years I have tried every wax / sealant on the market I think. Well that wold be impossible. I always come back to Zanio Z2. I just have found nothing better.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:07 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I used wax for years and decided to switch to a sealant for protection.
Started with Klasse and then switched to Liquid Glass - the best!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to be a carnuba wax only guy, but switched to sealants about 10 years ago. Have used Klasse, Ziano, NXT, and Rejex, but my favorite is now Blackfire Wet Diamond. On dark cars, the look of Blackfire Wet Diamond is amazing! And it's way easier to use compared to the Ziano system.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Good results so far with NXT... Of course, I still have a few containers of carnauba wax which I'll likely never use again.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently tried Klasse and it does seal very well, then top with carnauba wax to bring out the depth/shine.

If you do try Klasse make sure to apply very thin coats, as too much will be a pain to remove..

I also applied Klasse sealant to my wheels and it does seem to provide a protective layer from the elements and daily driving allowing dirt/debris to wash off the polished wheels easier.

Have heard great things about Black Fire Wet Diamond but have to use up the Klasse first

Last edited by vg247; 08-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM
naute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Zaino products. Have used it on my car for past 4 months and have great results. It does take a whole day as suggested previously but results are great.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 295 Posts

Zaino
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on Menzerna
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I use Zaino.... Zaino is stupidly easy to use and fast. When I first purchased it, I approached it like a wax and it took me forever to do the job. I didn't know what I was doing. I applied way too much and would rub and buff like using a wax...... wrong. To go super fast:

1 - Wash with Dawn and hot water... it will strip all wax
2 - Apply Zaino (use accelerant) very very very sparingly. I can do my whole car with just a tiny tiny amount and in about 10 minutes (sans wipe off)
3 - Wipe off (Don't buff... no value)
4 - Next washes, use the Z6 and spritz lightly and go fast fast fast (I can Z6 my car in less that 5 minutes).

You don't need to reapply the base cote..... maybe once a year. The Z6 does the job. Don't over think this nor let the neurotic drive your approach. Keep it simple by using Z6 after each wash.

For my last good washing in the fall, I then use Mother's liquid carnauba wax for a protective coat for the winter. I don't view Zaino as "protection" or as a sealant. Supposedly, it only goes on a few molecules thick... not a good protective coat. Wax, on the other hand, is thicker and will give its self up and protect paint better so I use it in the winter when I wash less. IMHO

Here is my now gone 2000 Boxster S with around 150K miles..... I compounded it with Maguiars, then Zaino.... Careful! Put on your sunglasses!!!

Shiny Shiny Shiny at 150K!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Good results so far with NXT... Of course, I still have a few containers of carnauba wax which I'll likely never use again.
+1....I have tried a lot of unknown name boutique brands and Meguires NXT really works great and is easy to buy.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
+1....I have tried a lot of unknown name boutique brands and Meguires NXT really works great and is easy to buy.
Has anyone tried carnauba wax on top of the NXT? I've been using Meguires detailers wax after a wash but have not gone so far as another coat of carnauba.

Quick Reply: Paint Sealants