Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Booked 3 Dyno Pulls for Tmrw. How Much Power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Just Booked 3 Dyno Pulls for Tmrw. How Much Power?

Hey everyone,

In the short time I have had my 997 I have managed to add a few modifications.

The specimin is a 997.1 Carrera S with the X51 Performance Package.

As far as performance goes it has:

-updated idler pulley and serpentine belt (shouldn't do much at all imo)
-IPD Plenum (they claim huge gains but I want to see it to believe it)
-AWE Headers
-AWE 200 Cell Cats
-AWE Mufflers
-X51 package includes dual inlet carbon airbox and third center radiator (OEM) and obviously everything else it entails.

Many people keep asking me how much power I am putting down and I really have no idea if I am at 355hp or 400.

I'll update tomorrow at 7-8pm EST assuming all goes well.

How much power would YOU guess it will make?

John

PS- The said dyno is a DynoJet and I am told by the shop owner that it reads very low compared to a Mustang. He claims that it's a 100k dyno. I really have no idea how much truth there is to that other than the shop is about a year old and is literally 1 mile from my condo. I have always wanted to try them out, so I am looking forward to the opportunity!

Also, a couple of pictures attached of how the car currently looks.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice ride. Did you get the X51 package put on after or was it on before you bought the car? How much did the X51 upgrade cost you?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Nice ride. Did you get the X51 package put on after or was it on before you bought the car? How much did the X51 upgrade cost you?
Thanks! The X51 components were installed by the previous owner. Not sure what he paid but I can imagine it was more than I would be willing to shell out
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

A lot depends on if previous owner had the engine torn apart and installed the X51 valves and had the intake polished...that is what comes from the factory. Too many people install the dealer X51 package and think the ECU upgrade, X51 headers, X51 intake is all they need to do...but it is not.

Anyway, I am real curious to see what the dyno says even though you do not really have a base line number before your mod's. All dynos (Mustang, Dynojet) can ready differently depending on the weather and the dyno operator. Dynojet usually is the one that reads higher than Mustang but it's all moot since no baseline number...but still cool to see what the dyno says.

I am going to guess around 355hp and 295 tq at the wheels.

Last edited by mdrums; 08-09-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very interested in your dyno results as well. I had a 996 with a 3.8 conversion and fabspeed cai, headers and sport cats that pulled 325 / 284 on Dyno jets both at the engine shop and then 6 months later here in South Florida. I'm planning on having the 997.2 C2S Ron on the same south Florida dyno jet when I return from vacation and will post the results.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
A lot depends on if previous owner had the engine torn apart and installed the X51 valves and had the intake polished...that is what comes from the factory. Too many people install the dealer X51 package and think the ECU upgrade, X51 headers, X51 intake is all they need to do...but it is not.

Anyway, I am real curious to see what the dyno says even though you do not really have a base line number before your mod's. All dynos (Mustang, Dynojet) can ready differently depending on the weather and the dyno operator. Dynojet usually is the one that reads higher than Mustang but it's all moot since no baseline number...but still cool to see what the dyno says.

I am going to guess around 325hp and 275 tq at the wheels.
I was told that the person who had the X51 install done was absolutely as **** as they come throughout the installation process. He apparently had every little thing done to factory spec except for the headers, for which he chose AWE. This car has the valve upgrade. He made sure to add something special aside from the 3rd radiator as well which I cannot remember. Maybe you know what I am talking about?

I appreciate your input and your guesstimate. I will let you know soon!
Originally Posted by Cloudspin
I'm very interested in your dyno results as well. I had a 996 with a 3.8 conversion and fabspeed cai, headers and sport cats that pulled 325 / 284 on Dyno jets both at the engine shop and then 6 months later here in South Florida. I'm planning on having the 997.2 C2S Ron on the same south Florida dyno jet when I return from vacation and will post the results.
I look forward to posting the results for you. Which South Florida dyno are you referring to? I am over here in Naples!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynojets typically read higher than Mustang Dynos. Bone stock X51 cars usually make around 360rwhp on our dynojet in linked mode in 4th gear, 350rwhp in 5th gear

There are many keys to getting accurate dyno numbers from any fuel injected car. The #1 thing is to make sure there is sufficient airflow to the front radiators. If the shop only has the small "snail" fans, make sure each one is only inches away from the grills and you have 1 for each radiator. It's also nice to have air blowing on a closed decklid. Big fans that move a lot of air, but at a low velocity, won't do you any good.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
I was told that the person who had the X51 install done was absolutely as **** as they come throughout the installation process. He apparently had every little thing done to factory spec except for the headers, for which he chose AWE. This car has the valve upgrade. He made sure to add something special aside from the 3rd radiator as well which I cannot remember. Maybe you know what I am talking about?

I appreciate your input and your guesstimate. I will let you know soon!

I look forward to posting the results for you. Which South Florida dyno are you referring to? I am over here in Naples!
USP Motorsports in Coral Springs. Chris raises great points about the fans. I can't remember if USp had a fan blowing over the rear decklid when they did my 996. I can see how not having that would affect the results. Have a great weekend.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Perk10
Pro

Default Results Are In!

I chose a place called Gulf Coast Motorworks here in Naples, FL. They are an authorized DeLorean dealer as well. Pretty funky place. They were working on a true blue Ford GT40 (the real thing) and a few Countach's and F335's. Interesting people and place. Had quite a few old Cobra's and Cobra kit cars as well.

The machine that they used is called a DynoJet 424 LC2 with "links and Eddy load)... Please excuse my ignorance in this area.

We ran the car at 78 degrees with 48% humidity. It had JUST rained so actually was cooler than normal by about ten degrees

Anyhow, on my third pull up to 7,100 we were able to achieve:

340.66 RWHP
287.14 RWTQ

Needless to say, I am pleased with the results and also the graph itself. The power band is extremely even with only a very small dip around 5,100RPM. I am one happy camper! This car has proven itself in every way since I have owned it.

John

Last edited by Perk10; 08-09-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Perk10
Pro

FIXED

Last edited by Perk10; 08-09-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
holy cow! DID NOT mean to post such a big graph!!! WTH!!
reduce your graphic down to one side no longer than about 800. Then edit you post and it will allow you to delete and add the new graphic.

Quick Reply: Just Booked 3 Dyno Pulls for Tmrw. How Much Power?