Sponsored by:

Uh oh...CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
kalasend
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh...CEL

Just test-drove '05 C2S and the CEL came on after about 20 miles.
Car has complete AWE exhaust system including cats.

I quickly pulled into a shop for pulling the code and it says "bank 2 catalyst fault".

I went on AWE's website and it says they use HJS 200 cells "for no CEL".

So does it sound like a failed oxygen sensor on bank 2? I did read that O2 sensors are due for change every 30k miles...

Or, can it be a failed cat? Never heard of a failing cat but I could be wrong...
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kalasend
Just test-drove '05 C2S and the CEL came on after about 20 miles.
Car has complete AWE exhaust system including cats.

I quickly pulled into a shop for pulling the code and it says "bank 2 catalyst fault".

I went on AWE's website and it says they use HJS 200 cells "for no CEL".

So does it sound like a failed oxygen sensor on bank 2? I did read that O2 sensors are due for change every 30k miles...

Or, can it be a failed cat? Never heard of a failing cat but I could be wrong...
What is the code? Be sure any pending are read too.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 AM
kalasend
AutoX

P0430
Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I am almost sure i get the same code which points to the 200 cell cats.. font believe these vendors when the say no cel... i know of a handful of people that gets this error with these cats including me with fabspeed xpipe.. if u dont want the cel put the originsl back or ecu tune
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWE, Fabspeed, and others use HJS 200 Cell sport cats because they are the highest quality you can buy today. There are many reasons why a CEL can light up, even if it gives a P0430 code. The first thing to check for is exhaust leaks. If the car is leak free, the O2 sensors are in known good working condition, and there are no other codes that will affect the air/fuel mixture, you can more accurately assume the cat is not performing as well as new. Sometimes O2 extenders will help keep a P0430 code from lighting up on an old sport cat. Sometimes nothing will help and the cat just has to be replaced. Fabspeed has the best warranty in the industry, 2 years free replacement on our HJS cats.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW:

P0430
Catalytic conversion

NOTE
The catalytic converter monitor compares the amplitude of the oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter with the amplitude of a computed limit catalytic converter during defined air gulping and enrichment phases. The amplitudes allow conclusions to be drawn about the ability of the catalytic converter to store oxygen.

Diagnostic conditions
--Engine start temperature > -15°C (5 °F)
--Catalytic converter temperature 385 .... 635°C (725-1175 °F)
--Loading of activated charcoal filter < 8
--Oxygen sensing in front of catalytic converter active
--Oxygen sensors behind catalytic converter ready for operation
--50 seconds (cumulative) within following load/rpm range
--Engine speed 1280 .... 2880 rpm
--Engine load (relative filling) 22 .... 41%
--No fault oxygen sensors, tank vent, secondary-air pump relay, secondary-air valve relay, throttle adjusting unit, mass air flow sensor, no misfire.

>>>The diagnostic conditions can also be established using the PIWIS Tester via the short test "Catalytic conversion". It is not necessary to have the vehicle in motion for this.

Possible fault causes
--Oxygen sensors in front of and behind catalytic converter swapped (position in exhaust assembly)
--Valve lift error
--Aged oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter
--Catalytic converter faulty (pre-catalytic conversion rate too low)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Even though I am not having this or any problem (right now). I am glad I belong to this site with such good knowledge and support here.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

P0430
Spiffyjiff covered it.

With a stock car (my 02 Boxster for instance which has been generating a P0420 now off and on for a few years) the general guideline is if the code is accompanied by any aging O2 sensor codes replace the sensors indicated and then drive the car. If the P0430 (or P0420) code comes back replace the indicated converter.

With a non-stock exhaust system...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 w full awe system plus plenum, etc, throws cat deficiency code every 5-6 months (2-3K miles). Extensions did not solve problem. This was not an issue the first 3 or so years of mod and I assume something in there is tired. I detect no change in driveability or gas mileage light on or off. Reset and drive if like me you prefer the car as modded. If I had to I'd replace them w or w/o Awe's help. It's that good.

Btw, car passes emissions test after reset and short drive.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

There are also different "levels" of HJS cat. Some meet Euro level 4, some will meet Euro level 5, different cell counts, ect. The level 5 cats are more expensive, but on these older cars (996/997), the efficiency will probably last longer than the standard HJS.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM
kalasend
AutoX

Chris,
Would the Euro5 standard be enough to pass California smog check?
Also, I went to HJS website, looks like they only sell un-weld cat. Any idea where I can get bolt-on ready for 997.1S?

Much thanks
Ben
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM
kalasend
AutoX

Just went for a CA smog check.
HC measurements are way too high, almost double the Max Allowed.(both 15mph and 25mph)
NO measurements failed as well for 15mph.
I've read that the cats need to be really hot. But is it going to help if they fail by that much?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
kalasend
AutoX

By the way, went to a shop for reset. But CEL came back on within 10 miles of driving.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Just went for a CA smog check.
HC measurements are way too high, almost double the Max Allowed.(both 15mph and 25mph)
NO measurements failed as well for 15mph.
I've read that the cats need to be really hot. But is it going to help if they fail by that much?
Unless the converters were nearly dead cold (so to speak) I would think being hotter wouldn't make that much difference.

(As an aside when I take my cars in for a smog test I drive the car at least 30 minutes before and pick a hot day (as hot as I can) and keep the engine running (idling) all the time until it is tested.)

Is it worth a retest with this time converters that you are sure are good and hot? Could be if there is no lasting bureaucratic official stigma attached to the car if it is tested again and fails. Ask the test shop for an unofficial smog test. At least you'd know. However, my money is on it won't make any real difference. But I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Not a good sign it comes right back on. That's a pretty hard failure.

(In the case of my 02 Boxster, the light comes on and I clear it and then it stays off a long time. It has been off for months now, since the last big cold spell (well, what passes for cold where I live/drive) that we had months ago. Now it has been cool recently but no CEL. BTW a side note: I found running Shell (or Chevron) top tier gasoline keep the CEL at bay vs. running a discount gasoline.)

I think you're going to need to think about what you need to do get the converters working right. But right now I do not know what that would be.

Quick Reply: Uh oh...CEL