Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche World Roadshow today in Foxboro, MA. Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013 | 10:17 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche World Roadshow today in Foxboro, MA. Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Today I attended the Porsche World Road-show, I got to bring a guest, my good friend is a car-nut and we have always wanted to track, he is a Corvette guy, owns a Z06. If you get a chance to do this do not pass it up!!!!!!!

What a Day, simply amazing, I have a whole different view on Porsche Ownership, the fact they offer this for FREE is unreal. I have never tracked, but I can not wait to do it again.

All cars were PDK, until now I thought I would only buy a manual, I think I have changed my mind. With Sport and Sport Plus the PDK is Outstanding.

I started in the Regular Cayman, it was a fun car for sure. I am only 5'11" and the seat was all the way back, how do Tall people drive this car??? I test drove the Boxster and it had more room for sure. That said the Cayman drove nice and it was fun for sure. I then moved to the 991 C4, it drove better then the Cayman for sure, it was obvious it had more power. I then moved to the Cayman S, it was also a step up from the Cayman, but again I was shocked when I set up my seat I fit perfect, but it would not go back any further then where I set it, it was against the carpet behind me. I liked the Cayman S. I then drove a C4S, this was the only one with the PSE, it sounded insane. As expected this car had the most power and it was obvious. The track had a lot of turns, very little straights. It was a Blast.

We also got to drive the Panamera and Cayenne. The Panamera Hybrid was a hell of a car, so was the Cayenne Diesel.

Here are some pictures-

Me after I drove them all-

I told my wife I am trading mine in, this car was Sick, I am sticking with my C2S 997.2, just wanted to bust my wifes chops-
Old 08-02-2013 | 10:29 PM
911searcher
Pro

Great pictures of Great cars !
I see how you had so much fun !
Old 08-02-2013 | 11:02 PM
beden1
Pro

Looks like you had a ton of fun. Thanks for posting. I'd love to have that experience.
Old 08-03-2013 | 01:16 AM
fastm3
Racer

Did you drive the cars alone or with an instructor? Was your friend allowed to drive as well?
Old 08-03-2013 | 02:27 AM
toper
Advanced

Originally Posted by fastm3
Did you drive the cars alone or with an instructor? Was your friend allowed to drive as well?
you get to ride along with your guest, and then switch seats before switching cars (so 2 laps per vehicle, 1 per driver).

Protip: If you reserve with a guest but end up going by yourself, you can get a car all to yourself and do 2 laps per vehicle (ask me how I know!).
Old 08-03-2013 | 07:29 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

I'm jealous! I'm only 15 minutes away from Foxboro.

If you enjoyed driving around cones, you should do autocross. The NER and NCR Porsche clubs do 12 events at the Devens airfield.

Check it out: http://www.porschenet.com/activities/autocross/

Old 08-03-2013 | 08:05 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toper
you get to ride along with your guest, and then switch seats before switching cars (so 2 laps per vehicle, 1 per driver).

Protip: If you reserve with a guest but end up going by yourself, you can get a car all to yourself and do 2 laps per vehicle (ask me how I know!).
What he said, the instructor is the leader, we follow the instructor. He had a radio and we all had speakers, he gave pointers to all the cars as we went.

During our session if you came alone they paired you up with someone else that did so.
Old 08-03-2013 | 08:14 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I'm jealous! I'm only 15 minutes away from Foxboro.

If you enjoyed driving around cones, you should do autocross. The NER and NCR Porsche clubs do 12 events at the Devens airfield.

Check it out: http://www.porschenet.com/activities/autocross/

Thank you for sharing, I actually went to an event there 4 years ago with one of my Mustang Shelby friends, I did not drive though. That would be a blast, I am going to look into it more.
Old 08-03-2013 | 06:11 PM
psychlox
Advanced

We went to the one in Monticello last week. Convinced my wife to drive (hasn't driven much in last 15 years). Wants her own 911 for the track now (we have a 2011 c4s already).
So... That was a success ? Not sure.
Old 08-03-2013 | 09:04 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was this event publicized anywhere? I'm in MA and didn't even know about it.
Old 08-04-2013 | 12:44 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951
Was this event publicized anywhere? I'm in MA and didn't even know about it.
I have no idea how you get picked, I got an e-mail. It is limited for sure, I think having a good relationship with your Dealer and taking the Surveys they send you is how you get picked, that is the only way I can see how I got picked.

Last edited by MessyMarvin; 08-04-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2013 | 01:11 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Hey I was there too! It was a blast for sure. Yes, I have no idea how I was picked either, but I jumped at the chance. My only disappointment was there was a pair of early 20's women in my group and they were driving like 20 mph around the cones and the instructor kept slowing down to let them catch up. He actually had to stop twice to let them catch up. We couldn't drive nearly as fast as we wanted. That was pretty disappointing. But we had a blast anyway. All the cars were impressive, even the Cayennes and Panameras. It was difficult keeping my car below 80 on the way home.
Old 08-04-2013 | 01:45 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

I drove at the Roadshow event in CO Springs a couple of weeks back. Same event / format. Heard it was coming to town and went to my dealer and test drove Cayman S and said that I wanted to drive one on a track at the road show. Got an invite in the mail.

All new cars ,lots of fun.
Old 08-04-2013 | 10:13 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW911
Hey I was there too! It was a blast for sure. Yes, I have no idea how I was picked either, but I jumped at the chance. My only disappointment was there was a pair of early 20's women in my group and they were driving like 20 mph around the cones and the instructor kept slowing down to let them catch up. He actually had to stop twice to let them catch up. We couldn't drive nearly as fast as we wanted. That was pretty disappointing. But we had a blast anyway. All the cars were impressive, even the Cayennes and Panameras. It was difficult keeping my car below 80 on the way home.
Which one did you go to? I was at the 9:55am one on Friday. My group drove pretty fast, but I did break the 2 car length rule a few times for sure. I had a women in front of me after the first run, but she got faster every lap she took. My first 2 laps were the best, I was behind the instructor and hung with him the whole way. I was able to push them pretty good, even got the C4S to lose its back a little.
Old 08-05-2013 | 05:09 PM
karlas
Intermediate

I was at the 7:30am session yesterday (8/3) - and it really was amazing!

My invite came in the mail a few weeks ago, and I'd be curious to find out how I got my invite as well. I don't own a Porsche (yet), I have not test driven any cars at any Porsche dealer, and I have not signed up for anything on the Porsche website... but I have been faithfully lurking here on Rennlist for about a year now and have been stalking all the usual used car websites daily doing research for my first Porsche which will most likely be a 996.2 or a 997.1.

And btw, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum... it's been incredibly helpful and greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Porsche World Roadshow today in Foxboro, MA. Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!