Sponsored by:

2006 C2S - good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013 | 01:42 PM
wcs_michfan
AutoX

Default 2006 C2S - good buy?

Greetings all,

I've been on one of the other sites soliciting opinions on an 06 I'm considering. Was wondering if I could get your expert opinions as well.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3963628573.html

I was close to pulling the trigger, but members on another site pointed out a record in the carfax report - while the overall report is clean, here is the one record in question:

Seat or seat upholstery repaired
Interior trim repaired
Carpet protection installed
Console repaired
Door sill plate/trim replaced
Fuse(s) replaced

These items were repaired within 10 months of the vehicle being new. I test drove the car and inspected the interior and it is in great condition and everything seemed to be working fine, but some people thought the interior record could be water damage.

Anyway, I decided to walk away based on the interior, but wanted some other opinions. I think I could get it for 49-51k. Thoughts on pricing as well?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013 | 02:17 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I'll give you one more reason to be wary: Why did it need a new clutch after only 27,000 miles?

If you're still interested in that car, get a PPI ASAP! I'm betting the DME report will show prohibitive overrevs.
Old 08-02-2013 | 03:33 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

tell them to keep the "10,000 wheels" and give it to you for $45k. in any event, it's overpriced but that's a stealership for you. a PPI /DME readout is a must altho i dont agree that it has been abused just because it has new clutch. mine went around 30k and aside from the "defect" of the broken clutch finger, the indy who replaced it said (and showed me) that it looked normal wear and tear.
Old 08-02-2013 | 03:37 PM
ksozay
Racer

I agree with Mike. There are a number of potential issues that just make this car difficult to feel comfortable about purchasing, in my opinion. If this is your dream car, I too would recommend you go ahead and spend the money running a PPI/DME to give you an accurate picture, and then make the choice. However, and I can't put my finger on it, there is just something about this car that looks like it's been "prettied up" in order to justify the price.

Rims looks nice but you didn't ask to have those put on and no reason for you to reimburse them the $10k cost. And, it always makes me a bit suspicious when the seller spends more time promoting the aftermarket additions as opposed to the state of the actual car. Meticulous maintenance records, DME with no over-revs, all services completed and up to date, pads and rotors at X percentage, new tires, etc. are all things I look for in a car I am considering.

I would pass on this car and look for another 06 cab. If that's the year you are after, I would look for one in the $45k range with a CPO. +/- 3k for desirability in color and options.

Best of luck.

KS
Old 08-02-2013 | 03:43 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I'll give you one more reason to be wary: Why did it need a new clutch after only 27,000 miles?

If you're still interested in that car, get a PPI ASAP! I'm betting the DME report will show prohibitive overrevs.
perhaps the owner lived in SF? lots of hills that eat clutches and brakes. lots of stop and go traffic (clutch abuse)
Old 08-02-2013 | 03:56 PM
Chris Stewart
Advanced

Guys I am not sure where you are seeing these 06-07 cab c2s with lots of options and 25k to 30k miles on for 45 to 48k. Even the base Carrera private sale seems to be going for 47 to 50. If you want to pay the 45k price then you are look at a base with 50 to 60 k on the clock.

The price on this car if he could acquire it for 52 to 53 seems about right to me given the state of the market today. Maybe September next year he might be look at 49 to 50 but not this year for an S with that type of mileage and option list.

Get the PPI done if it checks out the DME is clean and it has full service history in the book and both keys do yourself a favor buy the car and enjoy it. There is still 2 full months of sun and who the hell knows what things will be like next year. You clearly want it as I saw the other posts you have made on it.
Old 08-02-2013 | 04:07 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

If the interior work was done by a dealer you can call them (assuming you can find out where it was done via the carfax) and get the details regarding the interior work, and possibly the clutch, directly from them. I've done this in the past regarding maintenance questions when buying and most of the dealerships are quite helpful when researching a purchase.
Old 08-02-2013 | 04:11 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Those interior things having been repaired are no big deal - I had several of the same nitpicky type things repaired when I purchased mine new. As far as clutch goes some people are a little harder or have been in more stop and go traffic, etc. That said, you should still get a PPI, DMEreport etc. If all is in order, then $50kish is reasonable for a 27k mile C2S Cab nicely optioned with upgraded wheels. By the way, we should not be lowballing the prices on these cars as the similar equipped car in a 991, that is arguably only a little nicer, is probably around $115k; if nothing else the ridiculous prices of the 991s should actually boost the prices on the 997s as you can drive a similar car at less than half the cost. If this was your car, what would you ask for it?
Old 08-02-2013 | 04:23 PM
wcs_michfan
AutoX

Thanks for the advice guys - couple of follow up points:

1. Clutch was done at Beverly hills Porsche. The car was in L.A. and the seller is saying it was due to stop and go traffic per the dealership.

2. This is an indy dealer who bought the car from Beverly Hills Porsche - a little curious why BHP would sell this car.

3. I originally offered $47k, pending a PPI and DME scan. They said it was too low but lowered it to 52k. I'm not going that high. I thought $49k, cash, pending PPI, take it or leave it prior to the interior record on the carfax report. Based on our conversations, I'm guessing they'll pass...we'll see.
Old 08-02-2013 | 04:31 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Maybe the BH Porshce was overstocked and they cater more to the high rollers who mostly buy new -try to get more info on that. Did you drive the car and take it throught the paces? How did it feel? If that car was from the dealer with a CPO , PPI and DME $52K would be a no brainer. Only $52K and you can be a "high roller" too.
Old 08-02-2013 | 04:35 PM
Chris Stewart
Advanced

At 52k there isn't anything else out there that matches these specs that cheap. Main dealer don't tend to hold onto second hand cars very long. 30 days or many times less if its not sold they flip it onto someone else who can afford to hold it on the books for longer.

I wouldn't sweat over the 3k difference in price if the car comes up with a good ppi. I would be more worried about how new the tires are. If they are near the limit get him to change them and you are basically at the price you wanted anyway.
Old 08-02-2013 | 05:54 PM
iammulva
Racer

Not sure what the premium is for convertible v. coupe, but I bought a 2006 C2S with 42k miles almost a year ago from an indy dealer for $45k. Regarding the wheels, they may be $10k retail, but even if they are in high demand, they usually take a huge hit upon resale. Bottom line, the car is only worth to you what it is worth to you. If you like it and it checks out, buy it. If you value your $3k spread more than you value having a new car immediately then keep looking. I don't think your expectations are out of line. Pay more for immediate gratification or pay less, but wait longer.

That black looks REAL nice all shiny and black.

Good luck
Old 08-02-2013 | 06:18 PM
wcs_michfan
AutoX

Chris,

Forgot to mention, they just added fresh rubber this week: Michelin Pilot Sports. Regarding price, I just don't think they're that high compared to what I'm seeing. I might able to get something comparable for mid to high 40's, but I'd want new tires (this car has those) and I'd want almost those exact same wheels (this car has those). So that what, 4-5k additional that I'd add myself anyway.

Think the PPI and Rev scan will make my decision for me...IF it hasn't sold already. 49-51 seems fair...cash.
Old 08-02-2013 | 08:47 PM
wcs_michfan
AutoX

Well, I called Beverly Hills Porsche who did the service in question. The service guy was a bit tough to understand, but he said the upholstery and carpet issue was from the A/C Drain Condensor Hose leaking on to the floor. Sounds like they had to take out the carpet, some foam? and replaced a seat plate, etc.

That sounds pretty benign to me. If it passes PPI and rev check, I'm thinking 50k. Thoughts? Thanks guys
Old 08-02-2013 | 09:40 PM
Chris Stewart
Advanced

Lol new rubber a reasonable explanation for all. If PPI is good make sure this is yours you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: 2006 C2S - good buy?