Sponsored by:

Intermittent dead throttle pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent dead throttle pedal

Can anyone shed some light on this? On three occasions over the last few weeks, my car (05, 60K miles, non-S) has dropped to idle and pushing the gas pedal has no effect. The feel is like a "throttle cable" has broken. These incidents have lasted for 2-3 seconds and in varying circumstances (once at freeway speeds!!), no common thread with it happening. There is no rough running, misfire sensation, bucking or similar odd engine feel, just a disconnect of the gas pedal. When I pushed on the pedal, no RPM increase. The issue goes away as quick as it starts.

Any ideas? It was definitely a potential safety issue on the freeway..
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

potentiometer maybe? there are 2 - one in pedal, one in throttle body. get a code reader to see if that sheds light on anything. also, i would clean your TB elec connection, cant hurt.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Can anyone shed some light on this? On three occasions over the last few weeks, my car (05, 60K miles, non-S) has dropped to idle and pushing the gas pedal has no effect. The feel is like a "throttle cable" has broken. These incidents have lasted for 2-3 seconds and in varying circumstances (once at freeway speeds!!), no common thread with it happening. There is no rough running, misfire sensation, bucking or similar odd engine feel, just a disconnect of the gas pedal. When I pushed on the pedal, no RPM increase. The issue goes away as quick as it starts.

Any ideas? It was definitely a potential safety issue on the freeway..
Does the check engine light come on when this happens?

While the behavior does suggest the e-Gas system the e-Gas system is well protected with redundancy and error checking. I would think if the e-Gas system had to fall into a safe mode this would warrant a CEL along with an error code or two to go with it.

However, e-Gas either at the pedal or the throttle body are about the only two things I can think of that could account for the behavior.

Since it is a safety hazard I'd get the car to the dealer and while you can't demo the behavior report as best you can when it occurs and what happens. I'm hoping that while this is a rare problem your car is not the first one to suffer from this problem and the techs will know what's going on. If not they can submit this to the factory and listen to what the factory has to say.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I would guess the TPS(throttle position sensor).
Get an OBD2 scanner with Live Data capabilities and with the key On/not start,slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor. You should see the TPS reading going from 0% to 100%. If this doesn't happen you might have a faulty TPS.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. Booked into the shop tomorrow. Stay tuned.
By the way, no CEL, no warning lights. They want to read the codes, too.

Quick Reply: Intermittent dead throttle pedal