Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Carrera 4S Blown to pieces

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
NotanotherIMS
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Porsche would only entertain a goodwill gesture if i paid for the engine to be stripped down - anyone can see it was totally destroyed without a strip down.

Then they tell me to get lost - writing them a strong email as we speak
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM
aav28
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation. BUT you have the car for over a year now, you were driving it for all these time? Not sure about your logic there, but I would have drop the car off within the first week or two if it was misrepresent to me.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
NotanotherIMS
Intermediate

The finance company made good on all the promises. The only thing they failed to provide was the service book. The dealer has been a nightmare. Hence my case with the FO. You can't just stop paying a financial contract. You have to abide by the rules. I will have an update from the FO within the next couple of days..
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NotanotherIMS
Porsche would only entertain a goodwill gesture if i paid for the engine to be stripped down - anyone can see it was totally destroyed without a strip down.

Then they tell me to get lost - writing them a strong email as we speak
That happens. What I understand is the tear down is to determine why the engine failed. If the failure is something that Porsche warranties -- I do not know what Porsche warranties -- then there is some goodwill, maybe a lot.

But there can be no goodwill too. As you have learned in your case.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Try to negotiate with them, don't be too demanding. It's out of warranty, there is some questions around services on the car, and legally they don't owe you anything... so, best is to be smart, try to have them cover at least parts of it, give you a discounted engine, re-furbished, free install, or whatever else.

You may want to call their Customer Relations, say that this is your first (or 10th) Porsche, and you like to stay loyal but do not expect such a damage occur on a German engineered car and your trust is broken in the brand and like to discuss this with a regional manager or someone of that authority. They might then give you some goodwill.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

ugh, sorry to hear this. I hope it gets sorted.

FWIW it looks like hydraulic lock (blown head gasket). When the combustion chamber is full of cool and the piston is coming up(and not stopping) with the valves closes, something must give. in this case it looks like the cylinder side wall.

Again, best of luck getting to some resolution.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
FWIW it looks like hydraulic lock (blown head gasket). When the combustion chamber is full of cool and the piston is coming up(and not stopping) with the valves closes, something must give. in this case it looks like the cylinder side wall.
What could cause this?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

What could cause this?
Pistons can only compress air not water. Trying to compress water would put so much pressure on the internals that something will give and break,like a rod or bearing. Even though I doubt that a failed head gasket could cause such a disaster without warning,like overheating,loud noise etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

leaking headgasket, hydrolocked at least one cylinder, broke a rod, rest is collateral damage.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Or a cracked cylinder head. Porsche sure found a quick out on this one although I'd be surprised if they covered a seven year old car anyway. Thousands (millions?) of poorly maintained or neglected Hondas and Toyotas out there, very few of them go "boom". Yes, Porsches engines perform at higher level but then they should be held to higher standard for the price you're paying.

By the way, not saying your car has been poorly maintained or neglected. It sounds like Porsche is inferring that.

I'd really like to get a 997 someday but... It may have to be a 997.2.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about you bad luck. Please keep us updated...

Since we are taking shots at the cause: My guess is that a cracked head started this.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, my vote would be overheat of some type (maybe someone changed the water pump and didn't bleed or tiny hole in a hose resulted in low coolant, water pump failed, thermostat stuck). The overheat cracks the head or warps the head enough that the headgasket can blow out and the coolant from the water jacket can get in the cylinder. once you have coolant in the cylinder at high RPM it's all over.

BUT, that's just a guess. If you check out the head in a teardown you should be able to get a better idea. Sometimes it's tough to really tell the real root cause. It's like looking at a battlefield and trying to figure out who fired the first shot. But sometimes there are strong indicators.

Also seconding the idea that this doesn't mean that the engine was mismaintained or the user did anything abusive at all. If the thermostat failed at the track you might get a 2 second overheat check engine light but you might not.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 AM
NotanotherIMS
Intermediate

Just a quick update - Porsche offered me £500 off the £20k they quoted me.
I declined and settled my bill of £1620 for exploratory work yesterday.

I found a company online that will switch in a reconditioned engine for £6k - it will be £5k if they can salvage my blown engine but I seriously doubt that.

http://globalengines.co.uk/

It will take two weeks approx. First 500 miles speed limited to 60mph and 2500 revs. Then drive as normal with a service needed at 1000 miles.

Mileage on the car will stay the same. Value of the car I'm hoping, will not be effected. New engine, but with all the necessary modifications dealing with the known problems.

I will update once I have the car back
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Good find. I hope this engine works out for you.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Too bad you're not in the US, you could have sued anyone and everyone to kingdom come and walked away with a nice new car.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Carrera 4S Blown to pieces