Sponsored by:

LN Engineering Ceramic upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LN Engineering Ceramic upgrade

I'm debating between the ceramic bearing upgrade and the new IMS Solution from flat-six.

I want to hear from people here who have done the LN bearing upgrade and how many miles are on your car with it, any issues?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm pretty sure they are both Jack Raby companies. The solution is more of a detection and warning system from what I read. I could be wrong on both counts.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 642 Posts

have you posted this question on the 996 board also? in theory, you're only looking at about one half of a production year where 997s would even be a candidate for the upgraded LN bearing. you'll likely find far more people with the LN bearing who own 996s and this will also give you a longer history with the upgrade. i have two close friends with 996s and both have been upgraded.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Para82
Race Car

Beebe - that's a good suggestion, hopefully some 997 owners who have done it answer here, but might make a thread in 996.

Your two friends who had it done are they members here? Anyway I could ask them questions via pm or email?

I appreciate the info.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have one of the early '05s with replaceable bearing. I had it done at around 31,000 miles, now have almost 48,000. LN says they should be replaced at 4 yrs/50,000 miles. I don't think the 4 yrs applies to me because I although I only drive 6000 miles/year, I change oil every 6 months per the terms of my B2B extended warranty. So I'm feeling comfortable till she's got 80,000 on the clock. Plus I have the warranty to 75,000. At that time I'll see. But I'm thinking along the lines of another ceramic bearing (assuming they still make them then) because 50,000 miles from then will take me 9 more years!

What concerns me about The Solution is two things. One, it involves a notch being cut between the trans and engine case, and no mention of sealing it up. The second and more important point is the Solution bearing is only lubricated by the pressure-feed line (no splash or immersion oiling as I understand). So if that line gets plugged for any reason, it's goodbye bearing in a matter of minutes. At least that's what a well-known Porsche engine rebuilder told me...and they have their own "solution" coming, a roller bearing (vs ball). With all these "solutions" popping up (the shop that installed my LN is now selling their own pressure-fed flange replacement), it's getting harder to navigate the waters. I personally believe the "dozen or so" failures of the single-row ceramic bearing are all related to either debris present from a failing OEM bearing, and/or improper installation of the retrofit. I don't really think the load rating of the single-row ceramic is the issue, or many, many more of them (OEM and ceramic) should have failed. But as I said, there are a lot of differing opinions these days from those in the know.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is another angle. You might get some goodwill from Porsche if you have a failure with the ceramic bearing installed (especially if the dealer installs it or if it is a cpo and the last owner put it in) but I can almost guarantee you wont get any help if you have an oil line / solution installed and the engine fails.

Last edited by BED997; 07-25-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I have one of the early '05s with replaceable bearing. I had it done at around 31,000 miles, now have almost 48,000. LN says they should be replaced at 4 yrs/50,000 miles. I don't think the 4 yrs applies to me because I although I only drive 6000 miles/year, I change oil every 6 months per the terms of my B2B extended warranty. So I'm feeling comfortable till she's got 80,000 on the clock. Plus I have the warranty to 75,000. At that time I'll see. But I'm thinking along the lines of another ceramic bearing (assuming they still make them then) because 50,000 miles from then will take me 9 more years!

What concerns me about The Solution is two things. One, it involves a notch being cut between the trans and engine case, and no mention of sealing it up. The second and more important point is the Solution bearing is only lubricated by the pressure-feed line (no splash or immersion oiling as I understand). So if that line gets plugged for any reason, it's goodbye bearing in a matter of minutes. At least that's what a well-known Porsche engine rebuilder told me...and they have their own "solution" coming, a roller bearing (vs ball). With all these "solutions" popping up (the shop that installed my LN is now selling their own pressure-fed flange replacement), it's getting harder to navigate the waters. I personally believe the "dozen or so" failures of the single-row ceramic bearing are all related to either debris present from a failing OEM bearing, and/or improper installation of the retrofit. I don't really think the load rating of the single-row ceramic is the issue, or many, many more of them (OEM and ceramic) should have failed. But as I said, there are a lot of differing opinions these days from those in the know.
Pressure fed oil for a bearing has got to be much better than splash lubrication. If you are concerned I would go with that solution. (Are you aware that the LN ceramic ball bearings have also failed?) In addition, I believe that pressure fed solution involves replacing the ball bearings with a sliding bearing. I have a 2008 and I am staying with the stock bearing.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Para82
Race Car

Yes well 2006-2008 has an upgraded bearing and less than 1% of IMS failures.

One thing Jack Raby mentioned to me an email yesterday that there are over 10,000 ceramic bearing upgrades and he knows of less than 15 failures...
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Yes well 2006-2008 has an upgraded bearing and less than 1% of IMS failures.

One thing Jack Raby mentioned to me an email yesterday that there are over 10,000 ceramic bearing upgrades and he knows of less than 15 failures...
Would love to see the supporting data for Mr. Raby's 10,000 incident rate estimate.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by BED997
Here is another angle. You might get some goodwill from Porsche if you have a failure with the ceramic bearing installed (especially if the dealer installs it or if it is a cpo and the last owner put it in) but I can almost guarantee you wont get any help if you have an oil line / solution installed and the engine fails.
I think you're right on that, I'm even thinking just a ceramic upgrade in itself would be enough ammo to deny any compensation. Common sense says it wouldn't but technically the ceramic bearing is not OEM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ben Z

Interesting points, noted. I certainly don't want to be experimental with my Porsche.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Para82
Race Car

Anyone have recommendations for a tech or Porsche dealership in Florida that has a good track record installing the upgraded LN bearing?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll play..

My 996 had the IMS replaced at 87,000 when I purchased the car. The original was still in at this time. There was no indication of failure but for me it was worth the peace of mind.

Original bearing has a very slight amount of play found after removing the seals which had been compromised and allowed oil in.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG
I'll play..

My 996 had the IMS replaced at 87,000 when I purchased the car. The original was still in at this time. There was no indication of failure but for me it was worth the peace of mind.

Original bearing has a very slight amount of play found after removing the seals which had been compromised and allowed oil in.
How many miles are on your engine now?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just turned 95k

Quick Reply: LN Engineering Ceramic upgrade