Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 backup camera options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:09 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by 911searcher
Has anyone had a backup camera that displayed on a Ipad mini ?
That would be a great idea. Pull up an app and go.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:44 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
That would be a great idea. Pull up an app and go.
Yea. Or more that I want to replace the Head Unit with an iPad mini.
- Waze.
- Backup Cam.
- Ideally some collision detection system.
- etc.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 AM
henkinc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw an ad or review somewhere (maybe Wall Street Journal??) of a wireless camera for the back license plate area that transmits to any device in the car, cell, laptop, whatever. No new module.
Of course the newer cars (son's VW) then can place the image on the Navscreen in the car, but then again all these newer cars have rear view cameras in any case.

Charlie
Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 AM
SamDaMan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
I saw an ad or review somewhere (maybe Wall Street Journal??) of a wireless camera for the back license plate area that transmits to any device in the car, cell, laptop, whatever. No new module.
Of course the newer cars (son's VW) then can place the image on the Navscreen in the car, but then again all these newer cars have rear view cameras in any case.

Charlie
Pearl: https://pearlauto.com/

$500 solution, so not cheap, but no wires.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:21 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDaMan

And then you park in a public lot and come back $500 poorer.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM
JBT3
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
And then you park in a public lot and come back $500 poorer.
That was my first thought as well, but reading on their site, the camera is mated electronically to the OBD2 module with a unique key to your device. So if someone steals it, it is useless to them. Of course, some "300 lb kid in their Mom's basement" may be able to defeat that security, but the company will send you a replacement camera for free if it is stolen.

Still $500 vs. turning my head? I'd much rather put that money towards an exhaust or short shift kit.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM
neospazzy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDaMan

I purchased this from Amazon earlier this month and used it for a few weeks. The issue is that the video has lag as well as it going dark and displaying "Video is recovering" on a regular basis. Although the driving lines were nice and the proximity sensor warnings, I ended up returning the unit.

I am thinking about going the integrated solution that will work with the PCM 3.0 unit like what Minok did. Although more expensive (about $1200), it is cleaner and more reliable IMHO.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:02 PM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neospazzy
The issue is that the video has lag as well as it going dark and displaying "Video is recovering" on a regular basis.
The unit can do video over bluetooth or wifi. For me the bluetooth is flaky ("Video is recovering") but the wifi works well.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:20 PM
neospazzy
AutoX

Originally Posted by max540i
The unit can do video over bluetooth or wifi. For me the bluetooth is flaky ("Video is recovering") but the wifi works well.
I didn't want to keep switching between my home's WiFi connection on my phone to the RearVision WiFi just for better reliability and picture. The hassle wasn't worth it for me. Coming from cars with factory backup cameras that just works when the car is placed in reverse has, unfortunately, spoiled me.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM
henkinc
Racer

Default not sure where you live but...

Not sure where you live, neospazzy, but in the somewhat expensive Northern VA area the solution you will put in is a $1000 job. Hurley's in Tyson's Corner. Top notch place. Do many Porsches.
Charlie
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM
neospazzy
AutoX

Not sure where you live, neospazzy, but in the somewhat expensive Northern VA area the solution you will put in is a $1000 job. Hurley's in Tyson's Corner. Top notch place. Do many Porsches.
Charlie
Thanks henkinc! I live in SoCal and got a few quotes for about that much for parts and labor. We'll see ...
Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default NavTV camera module failed - warranty replacmement

Just as an update - I'd gotten a backup camera solution installed (its the NavTV based solution) in 2015. It had been working perfectly well for the 2 years or so I had it in there, then this past March, when selecting reverse gear, rather than switching in the back end camera feed the PCM display slowly transitioned to a somewhat white/back view screen. A sort of slow blend of the PCM graphic, the back up camera graphic and a lot of white.

The appearance/behavior suggested either the camera connection had an issue or the controller that switched in the video signal had failed. NavTV indicated it was a control module issue. From the look of the effect, I'm guessing the signal switch/amplifier had failed in some way inside the controller.

Today I had the module replaced, under warranty, and I'm back in business.
No idea why the module had failed -which of course makes things suspect. What killed the old one? It worked for 2 years. Last used just fine in January. The car sat in the garage much of January/February/March on the battery maintainer. Semiconductor circuits are pretty rock solid. What fails, if it isn't dead right off the bat (and 2 years in I'd say the 'manufacturing defect' wasn't a likely thing)... as it did later, most often electronics have a failed electrolytic capacitor that dies. The liquid in the electrolyte cooks off or evaporates. But that just doesn't seem likely. The car is in the Seattle, WA area - our weather is mild, its not like the thing sits in 100+ F degree Arizona heat. Another possibility is road vibrations - a solder spot failed. That seem the most likely candidate.

When it failed it behaved the failed way for over a week (4-5 days of driving to work and back)... then on the 5th day in the evening it worked fine again... and then the next day and after that it was in failed mode again. That suggests it wasn't capacitors either (since they don't magically heal).

Anyway, just a data point on the NavTV camera solution.

Last edited by Minok; 06-19-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Futzing around with youtube link and the video not working in the yt tag.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM
henkinc
Racer

Default Rydeen AOK

Thanks, Minok. My Rydeen Rear Vu is one year old and no issues.
Charlie
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Minok. My Rydeen Rear Vu is one year old and no issues.
Charlie
Charlie- Which rev camera setup you have? Backup camera hooked up and hows on PCM?

thx.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 PM
henkinc
Racer

There is an interface with the PCM that is installed inside the car.... when I go into reverse it automatically projects the camera view onto the car's NAV screen. Then restores previous view when shift out of reverse.
Hurley's here in NVA (Mclean address) did the job. The hardware he costed at $600 (no doubt you can get cheaper somewhere). Not sure about any model numbers for the hardware, but I can give you Hurley's contact info if you want. Total price with tax was $1k. He does lots of Porsches.
Charlie

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 backup camera options?