Sponsored by:

Front License Mount: Nice Product

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doh!

After posting see that there is an adjustment screw that changes the angle of the contact plate. Then the trick is getting both brackets at the same height and angle to the surface.

These will be a good solution but are a little finicky to install to say the least.

Need to use a dremel tool with a drill bit for the starter hole in the morning as I am not able to get the self tapping screw to start even after trying an awl to start a hole in the bumper. My that bumper is tough materials.

Picture in the morning.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 AM
megsfolks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob. Drilling those first holes were a teeny bit concerning to me too!

Yes. I have the extra short ones and they worked perfectly on the 997.

It sounds like you may have installed the top mount with the screws too deeply. You should be able to adjust the angle with the pivot Allen screws. As you can be from my picture, Ive screwed in the top brackets so there was a slight gap between the bumper and the vertical brackets to allow me to adjust the angle. I had no problem. In fact, neither the top or bottom hit the bumper.

I too received only two rubber bumpers. I sed them, but don't really need them as there is enough space. For added precaution, I also included a short 1" strip of very thin adhesive backed door/window insulation foam. It isn't noticeable but gives me a bit extra piece of mind.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 AM
megsfolks
Intermediate

Looks like our comments passed each other in the router!

Yeah. Not hard to install. Finicky is a good word though. Definitely a measure twice drill once situation!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting about this; I just got my car and it doesn't have a front license plate. Having been pulled over before in my old M3 for that, I knew I'd have to mount one, but didn't want to drill into the front of my bumper. Already ordered mine, I'll post pics when it arrives. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It looks like they borrowed my idea.

Been running a plate there since 2006.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Megsfolks thanks for the post.

Nice product, reminds me of a Porsche product with lots of adjustments to get it to fit just right.
All stainless steel with two hex nuts on the back brackets for vertical adjustment as well as angle for the plate that gets secured to the top bumper lip. Hex nuts for the license plate also.

Here are some step by step thoughts and pictures for folks thinking of this for their car.

Find the center point of the grill, there is a nice nub marking the center when you get down and look up. Mark it with tape.

Fit the brackets on the license plate to the height you want it to be and make sure that the touch points with the peel off sticker / glue are sitting level and are even to each other. This step took me longer than I expected but I am a little OCD... a protractor would have been great. As you tighten the hex nuts they naturally start changing the angle or height but you just need to hold it and tighten... having a third hand would have made this quicker.

Mark the center of the license plate with tape, peel off the sticker off the top of the brackets, match it up to the center line tape and press hard holding for 30 seconds.

Then unscrew the hex nuts that hold the plate on to the brackets, take the license plate off so you can get a dremel tool with the drill bit provided to drill the starter holes. My regular drill was too big to fit. I used loctite on the self taping crews, tightened it up, and put the plate back on.

While there are two small plastic buttons that come from Skene that peel off and stick to the back of the brackets, I first used some duct tape as tops of bracket almost touched the car (buttons were on the bottom) but then realized that the plastic buttons were just like what you would use on the back of a picture frame and used four of those.

Nice solution if you need to have a front plate. My wife was happy as she has been worried that having a new car, I wouldn't have something to work on... I spend a lot of time in the garage.

Because someone will ask about my plates, Nauset Beach is on Cape Cod, MA.
Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 AM
megsfolks
Intermediate

Well done!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM
OldnSlo
7th Gear

Default Front parking sensor vs tow hook license mount?

I've got a 2014 Cayman S on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic and have been struggling with the tow hook/Skene issue. It might have a simple answer - does anyone know if the tow hook options block the front parking sensor?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Jake94526
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased the same license bracket and installed it on my car. I have it adjusted so that it sits below the bumper. I have never had a ticket for no front plate but decided that this was an acceptable way to mount a plate on the front of the car and not have to think about getting a ticket.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

On my meteor gray car I painted the brackets and the edge of the license plate flat black, then put a smoked plastic cover over the plate and it blends in with the car quite well. I also didn't think the rubber tabs were sufficient, so I glued some velcro on the back of the bracket where it was close to the bumper - just for extra cushioning
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Front License Plate

I ordered the Skene as well and installed it the other day. NJ it's the law.
I was surprised of the price for such few elementary parts, as I could have made it myself with a visit to Home Depot. But I'm 60 now and....well you just don't feel like doing that anymore. Ha.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front License Mount: Nice Product